“Trying to throw some light” 4 of 5 stars

Snowblaze Athletic Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79114 Us Hwy 40, Winter Park, CO 80482   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
Ciudad de México
“Trying to throw some light”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband, 21 year old son and I stayed at this place in early January 2012. The studio we were given was just awful. The layout, basic decoration and very old kitchen is OK for the price you pay, but the problem is that the beds were in very bad shape: they have a foldaway queen size bed that is pretty feeble, and a coach that was broken. The first night my son had to sleep on the floor. Next morning we decided to get an upgrade, because we can live in modest conditions, but not in a place where the beds don't work. To our great surprise, we got an upgrade to a 2 room condo with a nice kitchen, for the same price! The rest of our 9 day stay was just great.

Look, this is what we found out later: this is not a real hotel. Apparently the units are individually owned by people that give them for rent to different organizations. That is why there's no front desk. We rented through Alpine Resort Properties, whose office is one block away. I think you can rent some units via Beaver Village Management. This makes me think that probably the condos are very different from one another, and that is why people get so different impressions about the place. Somo other rentals in the area may be in this same situation.
I meant to clarify things up a little for everyones's sake, and thank the administration for giving us an upgrade we didn't pay for. I hope this comment is useful...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My family and I planned to stay at Winter Park during the fourth of July weekend. I booked a room on Expedia that was suppose to have 2 queen size beds available. We drove 2 hours and arrived after 6pm. There was no front desk. We tried to contact the office and were given directions to a place 1 mile away and had to get our key out of a box.
When we finally arrived at the hotel and fiqured out where the room was, we found that the 2nd queen size bed, which was a couch bed was broken. All of the springs were off that normally hold it up. My sons had to sleep on the carpet. The next day I went to the office a mile away and explained what happened. They said they would fix it.We were also told we had pool access but when we tried to use it it said members only which required a card that was not provided to us. I asked for a refund and they told me to call Expedia. I have been on the phone with Expedia for 18 days and still cannot get a refund. Apparently, the guy who runs the office at the hotel will not respond to their requests. I am now forced to go thru my credit card service for a full refund. Please do not have this happen to you. It is a total racket. Go thru well known hotels for your stay. Thanks

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Snowblaze is compact and furnishings aren't new but very acceptable & kitchen is complete. The pictures on the web site are accurate and the unit is clean and the location is great - close to town and a bus stop in the parking lot. Great restaurants within a short walk. Have to walk outside to get to heated pool & two hot tubs in another building. This was our second stay in this unit and we would recommend it - each time we have rented through Becky Shaw at www.skiwinterparkrentals.com and we were very satisfied each time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

I would never, ever recommend this property to anyone! The decor is "70's beat-up"....sleeping bags preferable over the horrible beds, barely enough hot water for two showers in the morning, stove only worked on 400 or above, sinks backed up, timer didn't work on microwave, never could get thermostat adjusted so half the time we were freezing, no firewood...we were told we could purchase but they could not tell us when it would be delivered......NEVER got maid service, never got our trash picked up........no staff onsite to help with anything.......HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! Winter Park is a wonderful Ski Resort but B22 in Snowblaze is a dump........The only thing I can say is it in a good location....

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

The stairs are a killer! Once you climb 6 flites of stairs (48 steps) with two two year olds and luggage. Your vacation is over. We were there in the summer with a teenage boy and girl plus two two year old boys. Baths were a must. The condo furnished 8 sets of towels for three day stay and wanted to charge a 1.00 a set to give fresh clean ones. Plus you had to take out your own trash. We were miss lead when booking our stay. It said 3 bedroom and 3 bath--It was 2 bedroom and a loft. It was 2 3/4 bath. The teen age son choose the loft cause it had a TV. We had a problem with the TV's hearing them over each other. The condo had valted ceilings that need to be cleaned of cobwebs. Then also we were told that we would recieve two comedy show tickets. Our check out time was 10:00 a.m. on Friday. The comedy show was at 8:00 p.m on friday ONLY. We would have been better off at a hotel.

• Liked — I was like an apartment.
  • Disliked — The stairs!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

We just returned from Winter Park and stayed at Snowblaze once again after a multi-year absence. The place is much the same as I found it before. We rented a small studio and found it fine for three people. The covered parking came in very handy with the huge snow dump we received the last couple of days there.

The plusses for me were:

1. convenient location one block from downtown, and right on the shuttle route

2. Athletic club with swimming pool and two hot tubs, plus a modest weight room.

3. Good access for wheelchair users.

The minuses were:

1. check in and staff are two blocks away, so you have to go there to check in and out.

2. We had trouble managing the air temperature.

On the whole, I found it great for the convience and price during spring break week.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

10 minutes from the slopes via efficient and frequent shuttle bus service. no onsite checkin or management, that is all a few blocks away. the athletic club is VERY modest, free weights and indoor racquetball plus pool and 2 hot tubs. simple locker rooms, sauna and steam out of service when I was there. large rooms but decor varies widely from bleak to posh. shop ctr with several restaurants is 2 blocks away. no problem staying here and skiing without renting a car. basic but clean condo accomodations here.

• Liked — budget price, kitchen
  • Disliked — no services onsite and no real lobby
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Snowblaze Athletic Club? Share your experiences!