We stayed 3 nights at the Iron Horse Resort this summer and would return as it offered us what we needed at a affordable price. However, know what you're getting before you book:
1. The resort condos are individually owned so each unit may be different. Some owners rent condos directly through vrbo.com, others use a local booking agency while many use the resort's main booking agency. You can search around but would recommend looking at photos of the exact individual unit to know what you're getting.
2. The standard 1 BR unit typically has a king or queen bed in the BR and a queen murphy bed in the living room. My unit also had a pull out sofa so fit 6. But not all units have the same furnishings.
3. Entry is via codes. So make sure you remember the code or write it down. You need the code to enter the garage, the health club, the pool, and your room.
4. Health club had older machines. But it has a nice clean steam room in the restrooms.
5. Loved the hot tubs. The pool has an indoor and outdoor section and was well maintained. Gas grill is available in the patio for use.
6. Landscaping was impressive. There was a gazebo and a small brook running through the property. Lots of flowers in the summer when we were there.
7. There is a short trail to the base of Winter Park (about 10 minutes walk). Also, a short drive or walk to the gondola that brings you to the base of Winter park. You save $$ by being a short walk away.
8. The property is older but is well maintained. Again -- it depends on how the owner has kept the individual unit up to date.
9. Nice lobby with sofas and chairs and fireplace but no TV in the lobby so it's quiet. They do have some puzzles and games available for use.
10. Laundry facilities are available ($1.50 for wash)
All in all, it doesn't compare with the luxury condos they have built around the base of Winter Park. But the amenities (hot tubs, steam room, ski in/out access, full kitchen, etc) make it a very affordable choice (e.g. I paid $50/night plus $50 cleaning fee for my 1 BR midweek summer).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within walking distance to the ski lifts at Winter Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Iron Horse Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iron Horse Hotel Winter Park
- Iron Horse Resort Colorado