“I let myself be taken” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Westminster
Lander, Wyoming
“I let myself be taken”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

After over 40 reviews, this is my third (one was remedied while there, so... second) negative one... check them out; I try to be as positive as possible.

For Memorial weekend, I made reservations for 3 nights at this Comfort Suites because of their website's picture of the size of the 'suites', looking/feeling more open than a regular motel room as it had a divider and sofa beside the bed(s). When making the reservation using points from Choice Privileges, I could have had a bit more expensive 2Q room for the same points, but there was only one left available for points and I thought I'd leave a second bed for someone reserving with a second person (as I was solo)... and so I reserved the 1K room.

When I got to the motel, I let (MY FAULT, I KNOW) the manager even talk me out (with a sweet smile) of the 1K room with the sofa (as the sofa 'could be used for another person to sleep on' if needed), to a small (because of the elevator taking part of it) 1K room with a small stained chair with ottomon and an old grainy-pictured tv and old fridge/microwave. I brought my stuff in and went out for needed shopping, so there wasn't time for the smallness of the room and the grainy picture of the TV to 'get to me' until I settled in for the night.

The next morning I asked front desk person how much my room rented for because it was not a suite and I was 'paying for' a suite... but she wouldn't tell me. She said that I WAS in a suite because anything with a microwave/fridge was a suite... which I knew wasn't true and Choice Hotels customer service rep confirmed that it wasn't true, and said it had to be divided and with a sofa to be even considered a suite. After even that one night there, I so felt I had allowed myself (yes, I felt like a wimp, walked over) to be ripped off ... and yet had to stay that second of 3 nights because I'd already used part of that second day away at an appointment.

But I wasn't going to lose a third night's points (they DO cost and have definite value)... and when I found I could get my 3rd night's points back if I cancelled, I cancelled the 3rd night at Comfort Suites and made reservations at a Motel 6 (!!!), which I actually enjoyed! Before I left on that third morning, the new front desk person offered me a different room as one was available... but I'd already knew I'd lost the value of my points on the first two nights, had a really 'bad taste in my mouth' about the whole thing, and that didn't seem like much of a consideration... FINALLY getting the kind of room I was paying for?????

I do want to be positive about one morning's breakfast... that first morning's (Saturday) breakfast had small hard boiled eggs and fruit and yogurt to go with the typical waffles, rolls, cereal, etc., while Sunday morning's was scrambled eggs/sausage... and those scrambled eggs were much better than I've had at other places. But back to negative again... there was a warning on a sign/paper in the computer room not to stay on for more than 15 minutes or they'd charge your room (which I didn't think was possible... maybe it was for kids, but it wasn't friendly); and that just added to the bad feeling of the stay -- tho at least I had time to quickly check TripAdvisor for what the motel 6 was like!!!!!

As all I kept getting was "I'm sorry" over and over, and being told 'next time be sure to ask for this' (tho why would I want a next time?) and nothing else... I knew I'd REALLY overpaid for what I got (wasted points). However, calling Choice Hotels today to just voice my frustration... the rep offered to give me half the second night's points back from Choice Hotels customer relations department. I DO want to remain considerate of other traveler's needs (even the hotel's) when I'm only one person taking up one bed... but I won't let myself be talked into a similar situation again.

Room Tip: Beware the small rooms by the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
lourdes j, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Westminster, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am truly sorry if we weren't able to meet your expectations during your stay with us.
I definitely understand your frustrations and thank you for your concern for our other guests.

We really try our best to provide every guest with good impression and great service. If we fail to do even any of those, I deeply apologize. We also try to maintain the Comfort Suites standards but for reasonable price. Should you decide to give us another chance in the near future, please let me know so I can make sure that you get the best experience.

Thank you and we hope to serve you again next time.

Very Truly Yours,
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Amarillo, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The following are the pros of the hotel: is close to the highway, lots of restraunts nearby ,allows pets , and the bed was comfortable. Now for the cons: This is a very outdated hotel. The fridge, microwave and tv looked like they were from the 90s.The bathtub/shower combination creaked and felt unsafe. I read the manager's response to it still being renovated and renovation being finished at the end of May but I did not see any recent renovations and if I did overlook them then those renovations need renovation. The elevator was not working half the time we were there. Pool was closed on May 7th until 3pm. Comforter was wrinkled. Breakfast was just average. The eggs were horrible. Rooms on the first floor had paper numbers. It looked so ghetto.
We stayed in a Comfort Suites in South Denver the last time we were there and it was alot nicer and for the same price. I'm not planning on staying here again definetly not worth the $84 a night. I don't care if I have to drive a little more to get to my brother's apartment next time. I was very displeased with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Karla,

I am sincerely sorry if we weren't able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. There's nothing more concerning to me than to hear unhappy and unsatisfied guests.
Our renovation was unexpectedly being put to a halt because of unprecedented reasons but is expected to resume sometime this month. We are trying our best to make this remodeling as smooth as possible but sometimes unavoidable circumstances happen.

We hope that you will still give us another chance to serve you in the near future. Please feel free to contact me should there be anything that I can help you with.

Very Truly Yours,
Fulton, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have stayed twice at this Comfort Suites location in the last 2 years and have found this Comfort Suite just to be average. It is close to the highway and is decently priced per night. They do allow pets and was friendly to my dog and me during my first stay. I was disappointed in my second though…the property looked worn and not as well kept. My room was a little run down from what I expected at a Comfort Suites location. I am a choice member and when I travel I stay mostly at Choice Hotels. Since this location located on my yearly visit to Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, Co I do plan to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
lourdes j, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Westminster, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Marie,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We enjoyed having you.

With regards to the apperance of the property, we are still in the process of updating the lobby,hallway carpet, wallpaper & pool area. We are projecting this renovation to be finished by the end of May.

We apologize if we didn't meet your expectations but we hope that we at least gave you a satisfactory service. We take every feedback seriously, so if there's anything that we can do to better serve you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you very much.

Comfort Suites Management
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed here with my family with our black lab for 3 days and I must say it exceeded our expectations. The room was very spacious with fridge,microwave and coffee maker wchich is very convenient especially when you are travelling with your family. Very quiet and easy access to different great restaurants. Everybody was very helpul and friendly. We were glad we chose this hotel and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I am a proud Choice and Comfort Employee. So it pains me to write this review.

Two good points: Fast check in and really nice new beds.

Wish I could say there were more but that won't happen.

After check in we went to the north side of the building, door closest to our room and supposed handicap parking. The lot had been snow-plowed - except for the handicap parking. Three to four inches of ICE covered the handicap parking spots. ALL of them. the sheet of ice extended about ten feet into the lot making it difficult and dangerous for people without disabilities to reach the door without slipping, but darn near impossible for issues with walking to make it without a hard fall. Dangerous and dumb - why jeopardize people who are already fragile?

The lights in the hall were all hanging by their wires and the doors had numbers written on paper taped on them. I understand they were remodeling but... hand written paper numbers? Really? Why not just leave the old ones on until the new ones were installed? Same for the light fixtures. Last I knew light fixtures hanging by their wires were fire and electrical hazards.

The room itself was nicely sized. The furniture dated but still in good repair. The beds were not very old. Nice pillow tops. I always check for bed bugs - always. Comes from working at a hotel and hearing horror stories from travelers. So I pulled the mattress down a bit to check the seam. The box-spring cover/dust ruffle was filthy. Obviously not changed or cleaned in weeks. Hair and flecks of dirt. No bed bugs - that was a blessing. But otherwise completely gross. I carry my own blankets. I slept on top of my own blankets.

The bath/shower combination constantly crackled and creaked underfoot. The tub was obviously not seated correctly. My husband and I joked that we were going to fall through. The shower faucet was plumbed backwards. Normally when you have a single control the handle turns clockwise with the temperature going from cold to hot. This shower turned clockwise, hot to cold. So if you put the shower on three o'clock for a nice cool shower you would end up getting par boiled. I discovered this when I was rinsing some cream off my hands and arm. I set it on what I thought was cool - about two o'clock and ended up scalding my arm. Honestly who plumbs a bathroom backwards? I'd guess the same people who install a tub without seating it properly.

Stopped by the desk on my way out. I didn't want to leave a negative review with discussing it with the person in charge. So when I went to talk to the clerk and check out I was basically blown off. There was no Express Checkout under the door and the clerk didn't give me a receipt. I found that very odd but figured I'd upset him or thrown him out of routine with my complaints. The next day I found that not the case.

Checked our Visa Debit card just to make sure there were no surprises. Unfortunately there was. The hotel had charged our room, then the day of checkout added a $25 charge. I called to find out what that was about and the woman said "Pet Fee."

I don't travel with pets, there was no pet with me. When I said that, she said she had to talk to someone and put me on hold. A man who didn't introduce himself, asked my name and room number. He then told me the fee was because a housekeeper saw me leaving the room with a large dog and that there was a lot of hair in the room.

Straight up - that's a lie. I said it bluntly too. I don't travel with pets and certainly not 'large dogs.' As for hair in the room - I have long (shoulder length) brown hair and my husband is BALD. I told him all of this and he said he had to speak to housekeeping and he'd get back to me. He didn't call me back.

I called later to see if they had done anything. I spoke to Lourdes. She says that she can't do anything and that her GM would be in the office in a little while. He hadn't been in all day. That made no sense to me because I'd spoken to her GM that morning. She said that they had probably transferred me to his cell since he was travelling.

Okay then, how had he known what was in the housekeeping notes? How had he spoken to the housekeeper? How had he looked at my account and known anything about it?

I know the software that Choice and Comfort uses - I work for them - and yes he could have accessed all that information from home or a laptop. But NOT in the ten seconds I was on hold.

My firm belief is that the GM/Owner/whatever tried to pad the bill. Employees do get a discount. I think that they were trying to make up for that discount with this 'bogus' pet charge. Not happening. I've disputed the charge at my bank. The hotel will have to PROVE I had a pet. Something it can't do because I didn't have one. Security cameras will show that.

Upshot is stay away from this hotel. It is dishonest, not particularly clean, and definitely dangerous in very real physical ways. The iced-over handicap parking and access, the exposed wires with lights hanging freely in the hall and the improper plumbing all support that point.

Room Tip: Go to a different Choice Hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
lourdes j, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Westminster, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Maggie,

I am so sorry for the trouble we may have caused you. I definitely understand how you feel.
Let me address some of the things you have said about our hotel if I may. First, thank you for complimenting our fast check in, nice new beds and our well-sized rooms.
Second, I apologize for the hanging lights in our upper floor hallways. We were still underway with updating the wall paper throught the hotel during your stay but now it is 100% complete. With the hand written room number signs, I totally agree with you, we could have done better while doing the remodelling but at the same time not looking tacky and with that I apologize.

We treat our guests the same way whether regular paying ones or special rate guests. We have choice employees all the time and it is NEVER our intention to charge anybody more, just because they get discounted rate or for any matter.

With the "Pet Fee", I deeply apologize if you feel that you were wrongfully charged but unfortunately it also costs a considerable amount of money for our management to get the rooms cleaned if pets were present. In this case, we felt that it was justified because of the confirmations from our housekeeping employees including our supervisor who checked and cleaned the room you were in following your departure. I understand that you have talked to our GM and I might be wrong in saying he was maybe on his cellphone at the time since I was not sure if he came in or not that morning. I am sorry for the misinformation.

We always make sure that all charges we make to our guests are appropriate and just, this includes 1 or more confirmations from more than 1 person in cases like this. I can only apologize if this was handled poorly but I hope you understand that we have the responsibility to be fair to each & every one of our guests and that we cannot just change our decision because of their own claims. We do our own investigations and the people responsible in cleaning our rooms are most of the time what we call "firsthand reliable sources" because they are the ones who see the condition of the rooms before anybody else does. We are also definite that they don't have any reason to lie like what you've said since it is their responsibility to make sure the rooms are flawlessly cleaned before and after any guest even sees them.

Again, I am deeply sorry for all the trouble this must have caused you. I am hoping for your understanding and rest assured that we take all comments about our hotel seriously. If there's anything that we can still do for you please let us know.

Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I have now chosen to stay her twice for a few reasons. First, yes, it's your average hotel that comes and an average rate, however they are usually willing to offer some pretty good discounts for last minute callers like myself. The rooms are very large for a cheaper hotel, and the bed was beyond comfortable in comparission to the place I'd stayed recently. The breakfast was actually a solid breakfast, not just bagels and cream cheese. The hot tub was nice, the pool was simple but enough for me. The workout room didn't have much to it, but at least had something.

The best part of the experience was the lady at the front desk, Patty. She'd always offered us good deals, and was very nice to us when we ran into trip trouble last time. She's very sweet and helped us out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
lourdes j, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Westminster, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
ebu527,

We are glad to hear about your pleasant experience with us and thank you for choosing Comfort Suites. Thank you for mentioning Patty, one of our most valuable employees. She is absolutely great!
We hope to continue to serve you in your best interest and satisfaction. Again, thank you and hope to see you and your boyfriend again soon.

Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We are attending a conference at a nearby hotel whose name begins with a W and ends with the part of the US we are IN! We are about ten minutes from the other hotel. The rooms (suites) here are clean, large (couch, desk, etc.), and the staff are friendly, courteous and knowledgable.

The breakfast is great, protein, fruit, yogurt in addition to the usual carbs. They even have belgium waffle makers.

We were concerned that this place has mixed reviews, but we are very pleased we made the choice to stay here. If you need glitz, this is not your place. If you want honest value and comfort, then save your money for a rental car you can use to drive to Estes Park and stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
David,

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We take pride of the quality of our rooms and service yet not breaking your bank experience when you stay with us. We hope to be able to continue to serve you in the same way or even better the next time you're here.

Comfort Suites Westminster
Director of Sales

Been to Comfort Suites Westminster? Share your experiences!