“Not Up to Westin Standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Westminster
Kansas City, Kansas
“Not Up to Westin Standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was disappointed in my recent trip to this hotel. Having stayed here a few years ago for a meeting, it had really slipped. My room was above the fitness room making it very very noisy. There wasn't a functioning alarm clock in my room and it must have been several days since the room was dusted. The quality of the food provided at the meetings was also below average.

It is also a huge disadvantage that there is not shuttle service from the airport. I called to inquire about this and was rudely informed that this service wasn't offered. I asked if they could recommend an alternative and I was told no. If you are going to market yourself for meetings, etc...there really needs to be an option especially since the hotel is a good 30 minute drive from the airport.

While I realize that Westin can't do anything about this I was highly shocked to see a number of guests standing in public areas outside smoking pot. While I was not traveling with my children, I certainly would think twice about bringing my children to this hotel or state.

Room Tip: Don't reserve a room on the 2nd floor or you will be awakened by the fitness center.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. While our shuttle service does not operate to and from the airport, I am sorry that our staff did not recommend the several options available for transportation to our hotel. With regard to the smoking of Marijuana, I can assure you that it is not allowed to be consumed on hotel property. I will reiterate this with our staff so it is not a disturbance to other guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

After driving all night from Chicago for a family event outside of Denver, we were greeted by less than gracious front desk staff around 12:30 p.m. Yes, I know we were early, but in had also requested early check in and we were exhausted. After being told 15 people were there before us waiting for their rooms, the smug clerk said she would call when our room was ready. When I asked for a time frame, she said she had no idea. Since I'm a Starwood preferred member, I thought we'd get a little more courtesy, a suggestion of where to go and at least an offer of a bottle of water. NOTHING. So we put the dog back in the car and left to do some sightseeing and take the dog to the park. Thankfully, my husband had some ideas of what to do and where to go.

By 2:45 when I hadn't gotten a call, I called the hotel to see if our room was ready. They didn't know so they had to check with housekeeping and call back. Low and behold, the room was ready at 3 p.m. Just at check in time. Had the desk just said there was no way we were going to get a room before 3, it would have been fine but making it sound like we'd get a room anytime was annoying. Came back to get the keys without much fanfare and no one offered to help with the bags so we just wheeled them in. Oh, and no one ever asked if we wanted to add the dog bed and bowl to our room, which I would have had they asked.

The room is just ok. The bed and pillows don't feel "heavenly" but it is comfortable. However, housekeeping cleaned the room and took all of the open soap and towels--even the ones hung up--and left fresh soap but ONLY 2 bath towels, no hand towels, no wash cloths. I realize we are the last room on the floor, but if you ran out of towels, wouldn't you go get more? We weren't checking out so you weren't in a rush. At 9:30 p.m. we had to call down for more towels so I could wash my face. And twice our toilet didn't flush...it just wouldn't work. The first guy who came to fix it left half the fix it kit. The second guy actually fixed it. They did give us Starwood points for our trouble.

The free self parking is nice. There is space for the dog to walk and play. It is dog friendly which is nice, but the service at the front desk and housekeeping could use some work. My guess is this is an independent hotel and not corporate. Would we stay here again if we came to the area? Maybe if we were going to use point again but I don't think I'd pay for it. Perhaps because we are traveling on points the front desk clerk didn't feel the need to be overly helpful or friendly. Perhaps she didn't feel the need to ask how I get all of these points...because I travel for work and I'm always looking for new locations for meetings and conventions. At least the woman who keeps answering the phone when we have a problem was friendly and apologetic for us not having any towels.

Room Tip: If you are traveling win your dog, all rooms are on the 4th floor. Let them know in advance.
Green Features: When we checked in, the clerk didn't ask if we wanted to skip housekeep for point and since they took our open soap and left new soap and took all of our towels including those hung up for reuse, I'm going to go with not very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent visit. I am sorry that after such a long trip, we were unable to get you into a room prior to the mid-afternoon. As you noted, we had many requests that day and while we try to accommodate all, we failed in your case. I am disappointed that you felt our team member was "smug" and will be addressing it with the entire department to ensure our staff is aware of proper guest communication. I am equally sorry that this along with the missed service opportunities made for a less than perfect stay. I appreciate your thoughts and would welcome the opportunity to have you again join us when we can become one of your favorite Westin hotels. I hope you will contact me directly if the opportunity arises.
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel is gorgeous, clean and new. The rooms are a good size and standard. The Heavenly bid never disappoints. The staff are very courteous, friendly and helpful.

What knocks this hotel down to a 3 star is the location. Maybe shame on us for being naive to how far away we would be but this is NOT close to Denver. 30 to 45 minutes with traffic. And it is impossible to get a cab at this place. I called for a cab at 9 am on a Sunday and they couldn't get one to come until 10 AM.

So be very careful of where you will need to be visiting in Colorado while staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed the staff, cleanliness and felt the hotel was "gorgeous". I am sorry that traffic made the commute difficult for you. I have seldom heard of the drive taking this long. I am also sorry for the time taken to get a cab. While it is a longer wait then downtown, it should take no more than 15 minutes. I appreciate you letting us know about this instance. I hope we will see you again when you are in the area.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed here many times ... It is a fantastic property. Great location for outdoor running and dinning and entertaining in the evening. Bars are located within walking distance. Very friendly staff and clean place. Will use again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and your review of our hotel. I am glad you are able to take advantage of the trails and surrounding area. We appreciate your support and look forward to having you as our guest for many future visits.
Thornton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This hotel sits right off of Hwy 36 between Denver and Boulder and is only a few minutes away from the tech area of Broomfield. The property is clean and comfortable and the on property restaurant is really nice. There are expansive trails and parks just to the east of the hotel. Probably the best part of this hotel is its proximity to a large movie theater as well as restaurants and other things to do.

Room Tip: Request a west view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel and restaurant. I am equally pleased that you were able to utilize the trails and movie theater all within walking distance of the hotel. I look forward to seeing you again for a future visit.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a room booked for two people and they refused to give us two beds and said they didn't have a room with two beds even though we know for a fact there were rooms available. We had a friend call and reserve a room with two beds after we checked in plus we reserved a room on their website with 2 beds after we checked in. They then said we booked at too low of a rate so they weren't going to help us. I will never stay there after that poor service.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your concerns from your recent visit. I understand that this reservation was booked through a third party channel and requested a king bed. Our preference is to always accommodate our guests requests when they differ from the reservation but unfortunately in this case, a king bed was what we had prepared for and did not have availability of a room with two beds. The cost of the room is not relevant rather the information that a king bed was requested led to our hotel not having a double bed held for this reservation. I regret that our staff did not effectively communicate this to you. I further understand that we had offered several solutions as well as compensations which were not accepted. I am sorry we were unable to satisfy your request or find an accommodation that was acceptable. I would welcome the opportunity to revisit this with you personally if such an accommodation exists. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in finding a remedy to this situation.
Littleton, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I had a really nice stay here. The room was nice, the hotel was quiet (at least during our weekend stay), and the lobby is bright and comfortable. The on-site restaurant (Cucina's?) has a trendy vibe at night for drinks. The next morning, they served an excellent breakfast.

The service at the Westin is very good, and this one excelled. Every staff member we encountered was helpful and friendly. Check out time on Sunday morning is late...I think it was noon. They even rented my wife a pair of tennis shoes (brand new!) for $5...she had left hers at home. Looking forward to another weekend stay sometime soon.

Room Tip: The hotel's west side faces the mountains. The east side faces a big park, but the view is not...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay. It is great to read that you enjoyed the staff. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy Kachina as well. I appreciate you thinking of us for your next weekend trip. We look forward to seeing you.

Been to The Westin Westminster? Share your experiences!