“First Visit; won't be the last.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ocala, Florida
“First Visit; won't be the last.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Great evening. Great meal. Great service from Shannon. That Bang Bang Shrimp is everything they say it is! Crab Cakes and the Lobster Roll were first rate. Can't believe we waited so long to try Bonefish; now we'll try one in our home state of Florida.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Worldwide
“Short on healthy options.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We received a gift card which could be used at the "Bloomin Brands" places: such as the Outback Steakhouse, Carrabbas, Roy's, Flemings, and the Bonefish Grill. Options 1, 2, and 5 were available nearby. We don't do slabs of steak, and tend to save our Italian dining for places like Italy, Bangkok (which has a great range of Italian eateries), or Argentina. So the Bonefish Grill won out as the place to use this gift card.

Grilled and fried seafood is OK with us, so long as it's not overdone with added salt-fat-sugar, etc. In short, light frying is great, dredging in heavy, salted, breading-flour-sauce is not. We also prefer to have more fresh produce, and less massive slabs of meat-fish-poultry at one seating. Think "Asian" ways of handling meat-seafood-poultry.

Even though we studied the menu online in advance, we still wondered about our chances of matching our dining preferences with the menu offerings of the Bonefish. Ultimately, we were less than fully successful.

The Bonefish Grill seems to be a mid-market chain, a bit less kitchy than Red Lobster. We arrived at 5:30PM (on a Thursday), so that we could combine the regular menu with the happy hour menu. When we arrived, the bar was essentially full, the adjacent dining room perhaps 25% occupied. While we were there, the bar remained full, the dining room steadily filled to about 60% full.

We ordered fish and chips, a lobster roll, and bang bang shrimp tacos (the latter off the happy hour menu), along with a side salad. As we eat much lighter than this, our plan was to carry out the extra slabs of fish, and extra sides (especially the fries) for subsequent nights of re-engineering at home. BTW, we asked what their "Lobster Rangoon" was - and it turned out to be something that might be very difficult, or impossible, to find in Yangon (the actual name for the former Rangoon).

The lobster roll was sort-of OK - though good lobster shouldn't be spoiled by heavy dredging in sauce, as this was. We wondered if this was a way to mask non-fresh lobster (or even crayfish). The side salad was good - especially when our server brought vinegar and oil, as well as the house dressing on the side so we could make our own mix. The bang bang tacos would have been much better if the shrimp had been more lightly "dredged" in stuff. The fish and chips were noted on the menu as being "tempura-style" - but they were much more heavily breaded, and much oilier, than tempura would have been.

When we were done, we decided that the salad was the modest highlight of the meal - and that the heavy-handedness of the kitchen on the fish, lobster, and shrimp was sad (and unhealthy compared with what it might have been).

By the way, the happy hour draft beers were Bud Light, AmberBock, Shock Top, and Stella Artois. Nothing like asking about draft beer in one of the ground zero states of the craft beer movement in North America, and being offered InBev macros Bud Light (Ratebeer average 1.18/5), Michelob AmberBock (Ratebeer average 2.43/5), Shock Top (Ratebeer average 2.58/5), and Stella Artois (Ratebeer average 2.49/5).

Oh, well. Live and learn. We could convert the leftovers into something better, once we got home.

Service, btw, was fine.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Denver,Colorado
“horrid ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The "music" on the PA system is so loud that our party of 4 had to scream across the table to hear each other. In addition the lighting was so low that at 8:30 PM there was more light outside than in the restaurant. I had to use a flashlite to read the menu. When the manager was requested to turn down the volume on the PA system, he told us that the policy of the chain was to have it at that level and that there was nothing he could do about it. He did try to increase the light level but that wasn't too helpful either. If the chain wants the ambience of a honkytonk bar it shouldn't call itself a restaurant. On the other hand the food and service were pretty good.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“Terrible amateur service all around.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes I like to go to Bonefish to get out of Boulder and have a relaxing, tasty meal with my son. It's never perfect, regarding the service, but the menu often hits the spot, at the right price.

This time though it was just very odd and amateur from the second we sat down until the moment we left. Immediately after sitting down at a bar table, the waiter arrived and asked what we'd like to drink. He brought no menus, so I had no idea what was on offer from the bar. He also asked us if we wanted to start off with some calamari, before I had even seen a menu or anything. It was just weird, like a used car salesman. "Ummm... I have no idea. Can I have a minute? To take my coat off?" When I asked for a menu the big burly waiter looked at me funny, like I was being rude or something. After ordering drinks he kept coming by every minute or so to take our food order, I felt very rushed. I ordered an appetizer for myself and something off the kids meal, both to come out first. I also ordered an entree for after. Of course everything came at the same time. After our meal the waiter immediately asked us if we wanted some key lime pie, and I just kept thinking "No thanks?" He did not offer a dessert menu, so I had no idea what else was available. He looked like he hated me and like I was there for him. He then brought a second 20oz Coke for my son which we didn't order. He was trying to be nice, to increase his tip, but honestly I didn't want my 7 yr old gulping down that much Coke.

Eventually... quickly rather, he brought the bill. No dessert menu. He did not charge us for the Cokes, again to probably to up his tip. It was all very amateur, inconsiderate, and careless every step of the way. I will probably not go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thornton, Colorado
“An experience to be had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you want month watering seafood with the taste of perfectly blended spices, then you want to try this place. Beginning with the Bang Bang Shrimp appetizer to the Pan Asian Salmon every bite was a taste to remember. I truly recommend this place to everybody.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere