“Be sure to hang out with Rosie!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Science Museums, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Museums
Activities: Leisure education, Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: The first stand-alone non-profit insect zoo in the nation.
Nashville, Tennessee
39 attraction reviews
“Be sure to hang out with Rosie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great little place....ideal for smaller kids....I am sure some teens I know would get pretty bored, though. The price is affordable, and it looks like they are doing some renovations to improve upon what they have, so be sure to check back later.

Eppelheim
20 attraction reviews
“Always a fun couple of hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We visit family in Boulder every 3-4 years, and my son always asks to go to the Butterfly Pavillion during every visit (yes, even at 14!).

It's not badly priced for what it is ($9.50 for adults, or $5 after 3:00)--and is always clean and nice with lots of butterflies. There is a small "creepy crawly" room with a focus on arachnids. You can also hold "Rosie" the tarantula here. There is also a small aquarium room with touch tanks and a few additional tanks, a hands on children's learning room, and the main exhibit--the butterfly house.

There are a very large number of butterflies-many let you get extremely close to look at their curled "tongues" etc. It is never a challenge to "find" a butterfly--there are generally well over 100 in view from anywhere at any time.

You can see everything in about 2 hours without rushing at all, but will leave feeling like you got your money's worth.

10 attraction reviews
“This is a great Butterfly Pavilion, hours of enjoyment.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and decided to go exploring today and found ourselves at the butterfly Pavilion. With camera in hand, we spent three hours gawking, attempting to catch flies with our dropped jaws, peering through foliage to capture the prettiest butterflies I have seen, and gaining knowledge along the walk (overhearing the volunteers comments). A great afternoon for all types, nice to just stop and gaze at the butterflies, and think what would I do if I were a butterfly.

Just go already, great time.

Corrales, NM
8 attraction reviews
“Butterflies and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

It's good to be able to be spontaneous and when in an RV with no reservations we spied a sign for the Butterfly Pavilion while on our way somewhere else. One caveat, though. The parking lot is NOT big enough for a 31 foot RV towing a Jeep so I found a kind merchant nearby who agree to let me use their parking lot. This was a great discovery and they also had an aquarium with some very interesting starfish and related things. It's always a challenge to keep the littles (7 and 9) interested while driving long distances and this was a perfect diversion. This is run by a nonprofit dedicated to preserving all things natural and teaching children about the outdoors. It was well worth the stop.

Visited July 2013
La Veta, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
“Gotta go at least once”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great place to take kids. I felt it was a little overpriced for the amount of time spent there. My wife and I took our three kids there and it was $38.50. That sounds reasonable except we only spent a bout 1 hour there. Compare that to $63 to go to the Downtown Aquarium where we spent 3 hours(I did have a coupon for $10 off there though). We all held the tarantula, except my wife, we touched the starfish and the horseshoe crabs. Then we spent a good 1/2 hour inside the butterfly enclosure finding and watching all the different varieties of butterflies and moths. It's definitely a place you have to visit at least one time, but I take off 1 star for bang for you buck.

Visited April 2013