“Unappreciative welcome, good breakfast, average room” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Walsenburg
Dodge City, Kansas
“Unappreciative welcome, good breakfast, average room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just thinking about writing this review makes me quite angry. This was the first Best Western I had stayed in, and the lady at the front desk (I believe she was the assistant manager, or at least the manager on duty) was so rude upon check-in that I was irritated just to be staying at that hotel.

When we checked in, she wasn't the most friendly person I'd ever seen, but I've seen worse. However, when we checked to see if we could have a room with two queen beds, she went on a rant about booking on Priceline, saying that they're just trying to take your money and even though it's affordable, you never get anything with it and that rooms with double beds are never included in that rate. Furthermore, she said that if we wanted two queen beds, she would charge us an additional $20/night to get that. Let me tell you this: if the hotel was actually full and had more than five cars in the parking lot, I might get that. However, when hardly anyone is staying at your hotel because it has a ridiculously HIGH price for this class of hotel, and you should have extra rooms with two beds that you can book your guest in, you do it, if for nothing but the sake of customer service. This woman's only saving grace is that she recommended a decent restarant in town that we ate at. However, her rudeness and lack of customer service skills shined through and ruined that hotel experience.

On a good note, the hotel has a decent breakfast. It includes the normal continental breakfast items, but also included a hot breakfast sandwich which was prepared by a nice woman (THANK GOD) that tasted pretty good.

The room was decent, but it wasn't the cleanest I've stayed in... I won't go as far as saying it's dirty, but it just needed to be maintained better. The flat-screen TV was a nice touch, and the bedding was nice, but the wireless Internet did not work like it should have... That's to say that I decided to forgo the hotel's routers and use alternative means of getting connected (thank god for data connections on phones...).

Overall, if we had not received such a rude welcome, I probably would have rated this hotel better. It's not the best hotel I've stayed in, but it's not the worst.

And let me continue about the manager: if she's going to start talking like she's the expert on what is ALWAYS included with rooms booked on Priceline, then she needs to start doing more research. We have never - not even once - had an issue with booking on Priceline, whether through the full-rate or "Ask your own price" scheme, and the fact that a podunk hotel in a dinky town in Colorado thinks they can get away with this, offering rooms on Priceline so they can actually fill them and get some sort of rate from what would otherwise be an empty bed, and then CRITICIZE the customer for using that service... is simply unacceptable and hypocritical. She could have said it's the company's policy and explained with a smile that she was sorry that's the way it was, but she did not - she chose to be rude and abrupt about it, which as you can imagine was not appreciated in the least bit.

To conclude: if that witch at the front desk is gone, we might consider staying here again. Otherwise, we'll be taking our business elsewhere - customer service is important to me, and this hotel absolutely did not deliver.

Room Tip: If you use Priceline at ALL to book a room, you will have to pay $20 extra to get 2 beds.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
bwrambler, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Rambler, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
We have had staff changes in the past 3mo and now are confident that we have a nice friendly team of honest people who strive daily to provide a nice stay and experience for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed two nights needing to be in southern Colorado for a family event. The bed was comfortable plenty of pillows , The A/C worked well. TV only a few channels so not much to watch. The food egg breakfast sandwiches looked good and the gravy biscuits my husband said was very good. The dining room lady is really nice and a good cook.
I was a little disappointed in the price even through AAA. This time of year I would expect it to be a little less as there were very few customers there. Most rooms had no cars in front. There is only fast food next door and a gas station so it is a distance to Walsenburg and there is not much there to pick from either. But if it is only a stop on the interstate it works.
They do have newer rooms but I did not see an elevator so it is stairs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Got a price quoted when we called to book directly with hotel ~ upon check in was asked to sign a form for our car and asked about rate on sheet (as it was different from what quoted over phone) OWNER was standing right there and said "price will be adjusted upon check out, CC is only to hold room and for incidentals". Upon check out, very rude front desk manager, Greg took my CC sitting on the counter in front of me as I am looking in my purse for my quote and ran it before i could look up! Then hands me a receipt for the wrong amount!!! I start to explain that this is not correct or OK and he shrugs and says too bad! I ask for a manager, he says he is it, I ask for the owner, he says he is not there. The owner appears two minutes later as I am upset and talking a bit louder. LONG story short, owner says he was very busy when I asked about price at check in, will not adjust price or even try to meet 1/2 way!! I am left with warning people about this and disputing the charge on my CC. If Greg still works here ~ RUN AWAY as the owner appears to be working hard to keep him there! Another guest who saw the incident and was outside when we left said Greg had charged them an early check in fee, but when they asked the owner, was told there was no such charge, so they think GREG pocketed it!! Way too much drama!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Great breakfast with a cook to make the special of the day, in addition to standard waffles, eggs, etc. The only slight negatives was that we were right next to the breakfast room and heard the early morning prep of food through the wall. When we mentioned this to the checkout person, he gave us a discount. The 2 queen beds were the most comfortable I've had in a motel/hotel.

• Stayed December 2010
St Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I don't know what some of the other's are complaing about here.
But I found the staff friendly, the room clean and smelled fresh.,
They have a "No Pets" policy, I asked because I don't want to stay in a room were there were any pets.
Front Desk staff was friendly and polite, promptly got me a room,
that would be quiet.
Breakfast was the typical plus they were making fresh omeletts
WiFi was fast, was able to surf as if I was on my home WiFi network, and as IT person, I am fussy about WiFi

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Rooms smell like dog urine, pool was yellow, had to wait for room to be ready even though it was 4:00 and check in is supposed to be at 3:00. very rude employees that are not customer service friendly. I would never recommend any one to stay in this hotel/motel. Trinidad Co/Pueblo Co. has more options and more customer friendly people.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

one night stay while traveling with family on vacation was average. both check in and check waits were a little long due to clerks chatting with other guests and staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Rambler? Share your experiences!