“A few small issues, but overall a funky cool place.” 4 of 5 stars

Rio Cucharas Inn
77 Taylor Blvd, County Road 504, Walsenburg, CO 81089   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Walsenburg
Edmonton, Canada
“A few small issues, but overall a funky cool place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

After a fun but exhausting day at the Great Sand Dunes Park, on Oct 5 I was driving to Walsenburg to find a hotel. This one is a bit out of town so at first I passed it by thinking I'd get something in town, but either many were full or looked seedy. So I drove back and checked in here. I'm glad I did. I like classical music and there was some playing outside the office over the speaker. That put me in a good mood. The main office was a rustic inviting place with free popcorn and juice. My room was very large. It was a bit chilly out, and I noticed 3 or 4 dead or lethargic wasps that very laying on the carpet. I figured they must have come in under the door. I scooped them out the door. The next morning, there were some more. Not a big deal for me personally. I figured, well, we're kind of in the country outside town, so one has to expect nature to intrude from time to time. Parts of the place and rooms seem worn out and to need an update, while other parts seem new and polished, so I assume they are working on it, and like most small non chain hotels, it's an ongoing process. There were a couple scary looking dogs that another reviewer mentioned but when I was checking out they were there and were just big babies, at least with me. I also enjoyed the included breakfast they serve. I'd definitely stay there again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Yes the hotel is in need of some updating, but the customer service was excellent (something that is very rare). The lobby is very cozy & in the dead of winter I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The dogs do roam free and are very friendly unless you're not a dog lover. Would reccommend this place!!

• Stayed October 2012
Wichita, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here one night. We should have read the reviews before stopping. It looks OK from the road, but the room we got was awful. Very worn out carpet, dirty bathroom that included a HUGE spider walking around, really worn out beds with linens that didn't look very clean. The internet was SLOW when you could finally get a connection.

The worst part .... they accept dogs and we travel with a 5 pound chihuahua. The guy at the front desk, I assume he's the owner, has two large pit bulls that run loose all over the property. We couldn't even let our dog out in the grass without one of them running over. We don't take a chance with large dogs as ours is so small and the smaller brown pit bull was acting aggressively... growling and staring as well as barking. We had to walk WAY away from the hotel to let our dog out and then keep an eye out that one of the pits didn't follow us. These dogs will walk right into your room if the door is open. They also hang out in the breakfast area and beg for food as you are eating. This is a HUGE liability. VERY UNHAPPY about how these dogs are loose to just wander around. The owner even admitted that one of his pit bulls got in a fight with a english bulldog on his property. I am not surprised. This is NOT a pet friendly property if you are traveling with a dog.

The free breakfast was awful. Stale bread and bagels. Unwrapped rolls. Hard boiled eggs that were sitting out who knows how long, not refrigerated, and were warm to the touch.

Truly this place is AWFUL and should not even be in business. Do not recommend AT ALL. Wouldn't stay here if it was free.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We found the Rio Cucharas badly in need of updating. The furniture was aged, the walkways were crawling with ants, the pool area was cluttered with junk (some of which may have once been fitness equipment), the carpets were worn out. The pool itself was large and fine. The people working in the office were reasonably helpful, but the whole place had a run-down vibe. Whatever you do, don't turn on the heat in the bathroom, as that caused an unholy stink in our "executive suite". Keep on driving.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I boat at the lake down the road from the hotel. We normally stay at the Best Western in town (which is awesome) but they were booked the night we needed.
When we got to the hotel there were dogs running around and following us into our room. I had my grandaughter at the pool throwing a blow up beach ball into the pool. ( I wouldn't let her in the pool because it was so mirky you could not see the bottom. It was disgusting)
The dog grabbed the ball from her and started knashing his teeth and destroying the ball. It made me afraid for my grandaughter and took her back to the room.
The room was dirty and the beds were unmade and had dirty sheets on the floor. The tv wasn't working either.

When we went to breakfast the next morning at 8:45 the place was locked up tight. No one got breakfast that morning. My husband went back to the hotel later on that day to get a refund for our second night (we wouldn't stay here another night) he got very defensive and said someone called in sick.
Our friends had a horrible experience in their room and did not even stay the night but drove to Pueblo at 11 pm to find another room. I'm sure their review will be on here soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Shawnee, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

i was an evacuee from the Waldo canyon wildfire on 6/26/12. left with just my luggage in hand, two very frightened children and luggage n hand. All hotels between Colorado Springs and Canon City were booked. AAA finally found the Rio Cucharas Inn. I drove an hour and a half to get there, and never was anything so welcome. Raymond who was working the front desk was kind and conceerned and make quick work of getting us in our room, we were pretty beat. The next day, the owner, Leroy Salazar, met us at our front door, asked if we were alright and if we needed anything. Directed us to the breakfast area and some very welcomed coffee. The kindness and concern for not ony me and my family but others who arrived after me was amazing. Something we don't see enough of anymore. To Leroy and his staff, I give a big thumbs up and highly recommend if you are around Walsenburg, Co, stay at this hotel. Great little place with some great people running it. Thanks and give them a try. The kids loved the owners dogs.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the same direction with a beautiful view of the mountains.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Well I have to say it was a welcome site to find the Rio Cucharas.
And an awesome mornng view with my coffee : )
The owner was more than helpful with any thing that I needed.
I loved his "pups" but I am a big dog lover anyways.
The rooms are done in a bit of old spanish style...which I liked...no complaints here.
I think if you are looking for a casual, relaxed place this is it.
I read some of the "reviews" and thought some were being a BIT picky...but each person has their preferences.
I have NO complaints...and enjoyed my stay!!!!!

Room Tip: The lower rooms are nice because you can just walk out and enjoy the view and walk to the lobby...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rio Cucharas Inn? Share your experiences!