“Always enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Yanworth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the most extensive and complete Roman villas in England, this structure was occupied from the late second century to the mid-fourth century.
Tetbury, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Always enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We revisited Chedworth Roman Villa today. Conservation of the remains (esp the mosaics) has been very much to the forefront. The audio guide does a great job of explaining the site and now the amenities (cafe, etc) are improved. Today there was one of the occasional visits by re-enactment groups.....this time Gladiators, previously, Saxons & Celts.....always good fun, especially for children.
We are long-term National Trust members and, going to a number of NT properties every year, get plenty of value for our annual subscription. However, I can't help wondering about non-NT members who will have to pay over £9 a time to get into what is essentially an enjoyable hour or two at Chedworth.
Great place though.

Visited September 2012

Droitwich, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“40 Years Since My Last Visit And Much Better Then Remembered”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

It was some 40 years since I visited Chedworth Roman Villa (school trip), and my has'nt it changed, for the better. We found on arrival, parking the car was a little tight, having to park in the narrow lane. Price for entry for an adult is £9.40, but being a National Trust property and us being Members we were able to enter on our Membership Cards. I must admit, when I visited the villa 40 years ago, I did not seem to appreciate the Mosaics and ruins. On arrival, we were given a portable audio visual guide, a must or you will walk past most of it wondering what am I looking at, although, mine went dead about three quarters of the way through the tour, but got the remainder of the information from my partner.

I found that you need at least 2 to 3 hours to spend looking at everything. We really enjoyed our time spent there. I think if you took young children with you, I feel it would all go over their heads.

We had a spot of lunch whilst there, the sandwiches and tea (tea made with spring water) were up to the National Trust Standard, but they were quite limited on what food they offered. I would recommend a visit to the roman villa, as it gives you a good insight of what it was like to live and work there.

Visited September 2012
Oxford
17 attraction reviews
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

it may be tricky to find and don't be put off by the winding country lanes, you are going in the right direction! I would recommend having a tour by one of the staff rather than headphones. The place has been refurbished and the new facilities are excellent particularly for school trips, where the children were sorting bones and making mosaics in the classroom. Make sure you stop off in the cafe and try to spot the gigantic snails hidden in the garden borders. It is a very quite and peaceful place away from the hustle and bustle of most tourist attractions, well done National Trust for keeping it that way!

Visited July 2012
Rochester Kent
15 attraction reviews
“A half day visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Quite hidden away but fairly well signposted.It really was interesting and an amzing place to find out in the middle of nowhere.A lot of work has been done to put a large part of it undercover and is well documneted.

Visited June 2012
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Great afternoon experience......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited Chedworth as National Trust members, whist staying in Cheltenham. Great few hours of Roman history, and something a little different from the typical National Trust houses. The drive there is down narrow lanes and parking is a little tight, but worth the effort. The portable audio visual guides are a must, you would miss half of it and be totally lost without one, probably the best guide we have had at a property, with a 'live' style comentary telling the story, with pictures and historical notes, a little bit difficult to use at first but worth persevering with. Nice food from local Huffkins Bakery, tea made with spring water and everything being recycled. A interesting place to visit, probably not for young children

Visited August 2012