“It would be 3 1/2* if not for location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Newport Beach, California
“It would be 3 1/2* if not for location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

So we booked the Marriott Vail "Resort" based on the lack of availability in Vail during their season. We all booked King size bedrooms and when we arrived at 1:30pm we were told that we could only have doubles?!? The first person we spoke to said that just because you book it 2 weeks in advance doesn't mean thats what you will get? Huh! So I order a steak and get spaghetti and thats ok too? So I moved on to the manager and was told that they indeed had no king size beds but they would give me a room with a view. Lol! I got to the room and it overlooked the valet parking. guess you cant argue that indeed it was a view. Lol, again!

All in all the service at the hotel was good, but the room I was given had an adjoining door and the first morning I was awoken by knocking on the adjoining door and kids screaming at 6:45am. on a sunday morning. This went on for about 45 minutes till I finally called the front desk. About 15 minutes later I heard one of the hotel staff talking to the people in the next room and then he came to my door and let me know he had talked to them. So around 7:45 I went back to sleep until a little after when there was constant knocking on my door. So I had put the do not disturb sign on my door and thought it was the people next door until I went to the door and it was maid service asking if i wanted my room cleaned, Uh no, hence the do not disturb sign!

So I got up and went in search for breakfast. It was amazing that although the hotel had a few restaurants in it there seemed to be no one in any of them. The largest was design to look like a cafeteria, which I thought was odd since this was a resort. I decided to venture into the village for breakfast instead. The entire weekend, which was supposedly sold out, all of the restaurants except for the lobby bar seemed empty throughout the day.

The rooms are what I would classify as a 3 star hotel but the location is great and the staff for the most part were also great. There is a shuttle that takes you from the village where the marriott is to Vail village where all of the shopping and night life really is. So if you want to enjoy the nightlife you may search out a property in that village.

$400.00 + tax etc. a night is overpriced for this hotel but that seemed to be the going rate for many of the name brand hotels during our stay. I will say that part of our group stayed at the Vail Cascade and said the rooms were nicer but it was far less convenient of a location.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view and no adjoining room unless you know the people.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

When we checked in we were lucky enough to get an upgrade since my boyfriend has platinum status. We got a room with a cute little eat in kitchen and gas fireplace. The king size bed was very comfy and the bathroom had a shower and a separate tub with dual sinks. They brought us Marriott bags with cozy flip flops for the pool/hot tub. There were also robes in the room so you could be warm and comfy when going outside in the cold to the hot tub. There is also a heated outdoor pool if you wanted to swim. but most everyone choose the hot tub and brought drinks down to enjoy while soaking. They have a ski check and valet that will bring your skis to the lift for you. The lift is only a few minute walk. Great location. It is in the Lionshead side of Vail but is only a 2 minute walk to all the shopping, restaurants, ice rink and town of Vail. There is also valet parking which is sort of pricey, but it is Vail and what you would expect. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone planning to visit Vail

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The Marriott Vail Mountain resort is perfectly situated in the Lionshead part of town. From the hotel it is a short walk to the slopes. Valet ski service is perfectly organized. Warm and dry ski boots in th morning.
Hotel rooms are comfortable, well equipped and brand clean.
Service is extraordinary. Suffering from acute altitude sickness in the middle of the night, an employe drove us to the hospital and back a few hours and some liters of oxygen later. Many thanks! Concierge help for an early transfer to Denver to recuperate before flying home was highly appreciated.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Old friends were coming to Colorado to ski in Vail, we decided to take a short break and join them. We had not stayed or Skied in Vail before, despite living in CO for 5 years. The Marriott provides good service and facilities and well thought out logistics for skiers/boarders with complimentary boot/ski storage and ski valet (take skis to/from the gondola). Location is in Lions Head which we really enjoyed, was not as hectic as Vail Village (only 1 mile away) but with great restaurants and ski lift services.

Room Tip: Mountain view, and with a king bed if you can get it - twin beds are cozy for 2! Excellent bathroom...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom suite at the Vail Marriott in Lionshead over ski week and loved it. The room was spacious, quiet, and well decorated, with a door between the bedroom and the sitting areas and two full bathrooms. The hotel is well located about a block and a half from the Lionshead base and gondola. There is a 'ski valet' that walks your gear down to the base in the morning and back up to the hotel in the afternoon, so the need to drag stuff around is minimal. They also store ski and snowboard boots overnight downstairs. The hotel has a nice indoor swimming pool that we used with the kids everyday as well as an outdoor heated one. There is an indoor hot tub and a couple of outdoor ones too. The jets weren't working in outdoor hot tub that we used, but it wasn't a huge deal. The restaurant is great for a tasty and convenient buffet breakfast in the morning, although its quite dead in the evenings. That is not a problem because there are so many good eating options in the nearby town square. There is also a spa in the property that we didn't try. Service was prompt and courteous all around. All in all, this was an easy/great family ski vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Niskayuna, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was time to schedule our trip for February break and I was outvoted. Our trip to Cancun last year was such a great one, that I wanted to head back and stay at the JW Marriott once again. Alas, it was not to be so.

Our tradition of going to Breckenridge every other year had been broken and the kids wanted to go back to Colorado for some boarding and skiing. As we had never been to Vail, we chose to stay at the Marriott Vail Mountain Resort. Reading some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned, but the complaints, to us, seemed unwarranted. The staff was nearly uniformly wonderful. Of course, I am a tipper, and that may skew things a little, but save one waitress, we had wonderful service all week. And the facilities? They were fine. Try staying at the Clarion by LaGuardia. Now you have reason to complain.

Upon arrival, though early, we were assigned a room immediately. I believe we were upgraded. The lobby is very nice and spacious with Bell staff and concierge available. Free granola bars were always out for you to take for a snack on the slopes.

We were in Room 328 which had 2 double beds and a real balcony. The bathroom was large, with separate shower and bath, but the doors (French) were weird in that they did not lock and the space between the doors was large. I would call the room cozy, but certainly big enough for the four of us. (Two adults and two kids.) It was equipped with a fridge and safe, and a microwave if requested. All modern and clean as you would expect from a Marriott.

Charter Sports was on the first floor where they kept your boots and skis/board for you. You would just go down, give them your shoes and retrieve your boots. Just outside, the ski valet would cart your skis to and from the gondola for you. Yes, you have to walk to the gondola. Maybe 2 blocks away. Really, now, it's not that far!

The breakfast buffet is fine. $26 for adults and $12 for kids. The on site restaurants are pricey, but the food was fine and that's what you get for the convenience. We did eat off site a few times based on the concierge's recommendations. She was spot on with those recs. In particular, the Bully Ranch is a wonderful place to get an excellent meal without breaking the bank. We took the free Vail shuttle - the stop is right out front.

Each afternoon at 3 pm, they put out delicious fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, hot cider and cocoa on the second floor. Perfect après ski snack! The indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs were a bit small, but even with the hotel at capacity, we never had a problem gaining access.

Valet parking is at $28 a night with in and out privileges. A tip of $1 each time seemed to be appreciated.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and would easily recommend staying here. The decor was fine, the rooms were fine and the service was fine. Everyone was friendly and helpful and we were very comfortable the entire stay. If you want the Ritz, then stay at the Ritz! This location was fine for adults alone or families. Pricey? Yes, but that's what you're going to get at Vail. Don't look for a bargain here.

• Stayed February 2013
Red Deer
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was here at a conference for 6 days. You could shoot a canon through the restaurant every night. We had breakfast there one day for $25 per person and it wasn't worth $5. How do you screw up eggs? The location is a block away from the nearest chair(Eagle Bahn 1) but they do have staff who will wheel your skis on a cart to slope side for you and pick them up at the end of the day. The hotel is quite dumpy for the price. This is my first time in Vail but when I compare this hotel to my slope side hotel experiences at Snowmass, Steamboat Springs and Beavercreek it pales significantly. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Beavercreek and it blows this place away. It needs a serious reno.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Vail Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!