“Last minute reservations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Vail
Port Orange, Florida
“Last minute reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and son were out sightseeing. We decided to stay the night. We went on priceline and took a room. It was a nice room. It included breakfast for my husband and I, but not our son. It was a fabulous breakfast, buffet or menu. We chose the buffet. Service and food was excellent. It was in August, Vail was empty. We walked to the shopping areas, unfortunately it was raining. You have to see Vail at least once. It's beautiful no matter what time of the year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a great visit to Vail at a superb price. We booked normal rooms and then were offered upgrades to a monstrous Timberline Suite for less than $250 per night including all taxes. The hotel was beautiful and well-located. The rooms were immaculate and the staff very friendly. They're driver service was excellent, too, able to drive us around at our convenience throughout Vail. Lionshead and the restaurants in that area were within easy walking distance and you could hike up the mountain on the great Berry Picker trail from the hotel. The sports shot had solid bike rentals and good equipment for a fair price and even drove my not-so-athletic friend to the top of Vail Pass where he met me for the ride back down the mountain (17 miles/26 km). The breakfast buffet was an excellent value for $15 apiece, too. Add to all that beautiful weather and turning aspen leaves and you have the perfect weekend!

Room Tip: Go during the off season in September, October, April, or May
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I recently spent a long weekend (Thursday - Sunday) at the Marriott in Vail. I met up with 3 girlfriends and we all had separate rooms. It was very definitely off-season and very quiet in Vail, so not sure if my experience would've been the same if it had been busy, but we found everyone at the hotel to be very nice and helpful. The hotel has a nice, large lobby, a quiet bar and a couple of restaurants. The rooms were a little bit different than the average hotel room. What I like most was the bathrooms -- they had a tub and separate shower -- which is nice. And there was this very dim light under the bathroom counter that provided a night-light sort of light at night -- so it was easy to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night, but not so bright it would disturb your sleep. I also loved that there was a sports shop right in the hotel. We rented bikes there one day and did the Vail Pass bike tour -- which I think was our favorite thing that we did all weekend. The one thing I didn't like is that they gave us rooms on the "C" level -- which is the conference room level -- and instead of balconies with sweeping views, we had ground floor patios. The rooms were on a lower level and it was almost like being in the basement -- we even had trouble with our cell coverage down there -- so next time, I will definitely make sure I don't get that level. I also thought the pillows and mattresses needed to be upgraded -- I didn't sleep that well while I was there. But the hotel has very nice grounds, an indoor and outdoor pool and a couple of jacuzzi's (although the jets on the one outside would not come on all of the nights we were there). We had breakfast one morning at the hotel and it was very good, but they were offering a special price, so not sure it would be worth it at the regular price. All in all, it was a very nice stay and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the "C" level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Like all the chain hotels, there are some in the property list that set the bar high and others that get the job done. This one sets the tone that the bar is going to be high. It's in Vail, one of the most expensive areas in Colorado; it doubles down with a location in Lionshead; and it's 150 feet from the Gondola. Adding to the expectations are the pictures of this amazing hotel that awaits your arrival.

In terms of location, you are covered. It's within walking distance of the gondola and Lionshead through an exit by the pool. The shuttle bus stops right outside your door about every 5 minutes. And, access to Vail is easy through the same transit system.

The hotel design has gotten a little tired. I'm sure in its hayday this place was high quality, but I couldn't quite put my thumb on it but it just didn't have some sort of ambiance... wasn't cozy or ...something. Perhaps, it was just simply the lack of any activities, draw to the bar, or encouragement to be social at this hotel.

It's clean but the staff and Marriott (despite a Tweet to the corporate account) failed to respond to a table that was right in the middle of the hall that I tripped over three times over the course of 10 hours. Finally, I went down to the front desk to mention it and the result? Leave the table in the middle of the hall and just push the table leg into the table (it's a temporary folding table of some sort). Dishes from room service was there from the time I checked in around noon to almost 8 p.m. The action of walking through and cleaning up room service dishes seems like something they should schedule around check-in at a minimum.

The layout in the room that had the fireplace was odd as there was no way for me to sit on the couch and see the TV at all. I would have to lean against the couch facing the opposite direction to see the television. Seems like there might be a design fix for this with the chairs being the area where you might want to watch TV.

I also visited the spa and given the prices I paid, I kind of wish I had tried a different spa. It's a makeshift location in the basement that has very limited ambiance for the price point. The provider of the service I received was good, but just in general, not very spah-y... experienced spa visitors will know exactly my reference.

Overall, I would stay again based on location and it's general hotel ability to provide a good place to sleep and access to the village. But, it's just middle of the road in terms of anything special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace (high season, you will be required to pay additional for the feature...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
JasonPolland, Manager at Marriott Vail Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond about our Hotel and your stay with us. I am sorry you did not have a great experience and I would appreciate more detail about your stay so that I may work with the team to improve our service levels. You can reach me directly at 970-479-6991 or via email at jason.polland@marriott.com

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope that you will choose our Hotel again when you are in the Vail area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed four nights in Vail (Lionshead) Marriott. Our room was very nice with a large bathroom. The bathroom had both a shower and larger tub. Nice space. The bedroom area was smaller but very adequate. They have larger rooms with fireplaces. Our balcony was on the mountain side with gorgeous flowers in flower containers lining the railings. My friend made the comment that the lobby was one of the nicest he has been in, large and welcoming. Breakfast in the morning was great and reasonable for Vail. We did the breakfast buffet which was delicious! There is a free bus that will take you to Vail. There were many places to eat a short distance from the hotel in Lionshead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Deerfield Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a very well kept older resort. Staff was absolutely wonderful and couldn't be more helpful with restaurant suggestions and directions to various places of interest. Christian at the desk was especially nice in extending our stay on a day when the resort was pretty full. We were also upgraded to a king jr suite which was lovely with a fireplace which we enjoyed. Only complaint was that our room was on the side of the hotel's air conditioners which were very noisy when you opened the doors to the balcony. Make sure you don't get one of these rooms.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the side of hotel where air conditioners are located.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

We were only here for one night on our way to Denver. Our room was up-to-date, balcony was a great addition. Wi fi is now included in the cost of the room which is an added bonus. The staff is excellent both in the hotel and restaurant. We enjoyed the convenient shuttle to Vail village which stops right in front of the hotel. We will stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Vail Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!