“Exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 33 hotels in Vail
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I NEVER write reviews but the attention to detail at the Sonnenalp far exceeded my expectations. This was my first visit to Vail. Every employee was friendly, professional and helpful. I left the Sonnenalp (reluctantly) and felt like I was saying goodbye to good friends. I would not have been surprised if they had hugged me! Thanks to all of the employees. I especially liked some of the touches like the ice already in the room upon arrival and the bottled water for our road trip when we departed. It could not have been nicer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Thank you for making an exception and taking time to write and post your review! We often feel like our returning guests ARE our friends and family. It’s one of the wonderful things about this resort. On behalf of all of us at the Sonnenalp Resort of Vail, thank you for your visit. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
All the best,

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Everything*! From the bed and linens to the staff. Such a delightful experience. We called the day before and got a very nice end of summer rate. Enjoyed the pool and gym and ladies locker facility -as well as the availability of plugs in our room. I couldn't have been happier. So many touches. So quiet. Beautiful.
Only one suggestion - (And I would still go back in a snap) and this was a surprise as so many things were over the top - don't scrimp on the toilet paper. They had plenty - but it was the rigid type. That's all. Perfect.

• Stayed September 2010
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Thank you for visiting the Sonnenalp Resort and for your positive review! We're glad we were able to accommodate you with short notice. It's great to hear the small touches added up to a wonderful stay for you. I appreciate your suggestion on toiletries, and will consider more luxurious options.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Considering the excellent location, wonderful old-world-style architecture, and high rates, it is unfortunate that this establishment lacks temperature control in rooms in the main building. A thermostat is provided, but it has no effect. The max cool or max warm settings make no difference, except that you may feel some accomplishment by fiddling. While I was here, the temperature in the room varied from 73 to 77 deg over a period of days. That is too hot for me for comfortable sleeping. The hotel staff was a bit surly about this when I discussed it with them. They gave me some technical reasons for this -- when the temperature outside is below 55 F, then cooling of the room is impossible; and I should open the window or balcony door. But that made no discernible difference because the curtains were drawn. I suspect they use thermostats that are designed to be non-functioning. They are quite common in hotels. While the hotel was not able to budge the temperature in my room, to their credit, they did offer to change my room to one in the new building, which apparently does have temperature control.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Thank you for your feedback and for bringing the thermostat issue to our attention. We are very sorry for your inconvenience. Our maintenance department is taking steps to remedy the situation. Please contact me personally when making your next reservation and I will make sure your stay is exactly to your liking.

Best regards,
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I have travelled extensively for pleasure and for work and cannot name a single hotel in the US or Europe that compares to the Sonnenalp. Aside from the spectacular location--on a creek at the base of vail mountain-- and its equally charming Austrian decor, the service is first class. Everybody is friendly and outgoing and not in some obseqious or insincere way. They are all clearly happy to work where they do and it shows! There is no request that they won't attempt to fill. And more often than not, they'll volunteer before you even get a chance to ask! But the ultimate testament i can give is that i am a certified home body, yet each summer i cheerfully make the sonnenalp my home. This year they had to break me out with the jaws of life.

• Stayed August 2010
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Thank you very much for making the Sonnenalp Resort your home each summer! We are pleased you feel so comfortable here and it's wonderful to hear that our staff has had such a positive impact on your vacations in Vail. We can't wait to welcome you back for your next visit "home."

With warmest regards,
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We had a very good time in Vail because we stayed at the Sonnenalp which offers a marvellous service, spa, accomodations and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Thank you for your review! We are so glad we were able to make your stay in Vail memorable. Come back soon!

Owner/General Manager
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I really don't get all of these positive reviews... my complaints listed below are absolutely true, and to me, don't reflect a 5 star experience.

We went up there for a long weekend to celebrate my girlfriend's 30th... A few highlights: dirty underwear from a previous guest in a bathroom drawer (that was never removed despite our request to the front desk). The suite we stayed in had very dated decor, we had a broken fireplace, and an empty minibar. All this for $600/night. A friend called the hotel to have champagne and a cheese plate sent to our room-- She was told that there was no one available in room service to answer the call. They finally called her back 30 mins later and when we got it delivered to our room, we literally received a box of crackers and some cheese wrapped in plastic wrap. I travel a TON for work, and luckily stay in very nice hotels.... This place is not even close. Truly disappointing. The one positive: my girlfriend's appt at the spa. I did send an email after our stay listing these issues.... surprisingly, no response. Save your money, don't go.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 11, 2010
we are very disappointed to receive this feedback 9 months after your stay. We would have appreciated to learn more detail and most importantly have the opportunity to make things right. We will do our utmost to investigate and correct the items listed.
poohkey@yahoo.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

This is a fabulous resort. All the staff go out of their way to make your visit special. We loved this hotel and had a great time in Vail.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Thank you for visiting Vail and the Sonnenalp Resort, and for taking the time to post your comments. On behalf of everyone at the Sonnenalp, we are so glad you enjoyed yourselves with us and that our staff made your visit special. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Owner / General Manager,
Sonnenalp Resort of Vail

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!