“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Liverpool
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010 via mobile

This has to be one of the best ski hotels ever from the free upgrade to the cookies each night

Idal location for vail and lions head and just a short walk to the slopes

We stayed 10 nights and had an amazing stay the staff were very helpfull

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Flagstaff, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

The Sonnenalp is a nice resort but has major issues. Positive: Great lounges and Breakfast Buffet. Location walking distance to everything in town. Most employees very friendly. The suites are a bit outdated but still comfortable with fireplace and in-floor heating in bathroom.
Negatives: During our visit there were several times that customers with dogs entered the spa. Employees did not seem to care. There should never be a dog allowed in the spa area for health reasons alone.
Upper management was out of town(as I was made aware of during one complaint). This lead to the staff exploiting the situation by having a ball outside in front of the hotel at night which led to several sleepless nights. Also one night several members of the staff entered (conquered)the bar area and where supplied with free drinks from the bartender. Later they starded to do sexually explicit dances all while yelling and screaming. Needless to say this spoiled our evening. I brought this to the attention of the manager and was given a one night refund. Hopefully management is on top of the issues now.
One more suggestion would be to check on tripadvisor wether management responds to complaints on this website. If not I have to assume they do not care.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ulm, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Already when we arrived at the Sonnenalp we experienced the great guest service. The bellmen helped us with our bags, we were greeted very warmly at the front desk. The room (actually suite) has everything one needs to feel home. We needed to get the safe fixed - it was done within minutes. Also, when we asked for an additional bathrobe and champagne glasses it was taken care of immediately. Employees are all very courteous and helpful. The restaurants (Ludwigs and Bully Ranch) and the spa are very cozy places, the "Gemütlichkeit" is an essential element at the Sonnenalp which one can feel everywhere. The location is perfect - in Vail Village, and the bus stops of the free town bus are right outside. One can either walk to the chair lift or take a quick ride with the free bus, it is all very convenient. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed for the 1st week of the Year, here. For us it was the first time to do Skiing in US, so we didn't really know what to expect. However in the Sonnenalp you feel straight away like Home. The staff is helpful, we booked a Suite, but we found it a bit to small so after a discussion with the Reception they upgraded us in a bigger one, which was very nice. The Hotel has the Swiss Chalet as a restaurant which has very nice food, and you feel a bit more like the Alps,The apre ski is nowhere near european atmosphere. The really only downside of the Hotel is the SPA which is too small and Old, However the Thearpist's seem to know there Job. All over all we defently will come back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

When I read the reviews on this site, the Sonnenalp seemed like a can't lose proposition. And when I arrived, I was impressed at how quaint and cozy the place seemed. But after my first day, I knew that I made a mistake in picking the Sonnenalp for my first trip to Vail. Upon check-in, I found dirty women's underwear and socks in my closet from the last guest! Talk about gross! The maids constantly entered my room, even when I shouted for them to wait a minute or come back! None of them speak English. I had to repeatedly ask for turn-down service, newspaper delivery, and bottled water. The written rate quote I was given by my AMEX Fine Hotels agent was not being honored at check-in. No one at the front desk gave me any info about the property or hours at check-in. There were several outsiders that snuck into the spa each night because no one checked ID's. Room service does not offer hot tea, chocolate milk or ice cream sundaes. The robes in the spa are all one-size fits all, which does not help guys like me that have broad shoulders. The food at the Bully Restaurant was 2 star at best. I had to keep asking for towels, water and eucalyptus at the spa, because there is no spa attendant to refill those items. I used a towel to clean up a juice spill and left it on the floor. The maids came, folded the dirty towel and placed it on the sink! The TV's are not hi-def. Lastly, I could hear a lot of noise between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. from the doors and elevators. The hotel is not that well insulated. Maybe service was bad because it was the beginning of the season, or maybe good help is just hard to find. I don't know. I mentioned these things to the hotel manager Stefan and he did not seem that concerned. He just kept smiling, shook my hand and wished me luck. Not a good way to win over a customer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Stanton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

Our suite was nicely furnished, spacious, and we liked the gas burning fireplace. However, the bedroom was upstairs on a separate floor, while the bathroom was downstairs. As you know, hot air rises. So even when we had the heater turned off or the temperature turned to maximum cool, it was uncomfortably hot upstairs. Normally you could just open the window to solve the problem, however my fiancee was coming down with a cold, and unusually sensitive to the night air and the street noise.

The other area in which the hotel was a little less than stellar was location. It's about a 10 minute walk to the lifts and 5 minutes to the main part of downtown. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred either ski in / ski out or something like the Lodge at Cordillera, in a secluded, peaceful area. If you like something in between though (I'm a man of extremes), this might just fit the bill.

The concierge was great -- very helpful, as were the rest of the hotel staff. The fitness center was good considering the size of the hotel, and my fiancee liked the spa. Ludwigs for breakfast was great. We had mixed dinner experiences at Ludwigs and Swiss Chalet. At both restaurants, one of us really liked the meal while the other was disappointed.

The cookies they brought by the rooms at night were great.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

My husband went to Vail for knee surgery and we stayed at the Sonnenalp Resort. The staff throughout the hotel was great especially John and Jeff, who drove my husband daily to the hospital and physical therapy, along with shopping. My husband was at the hotel for 10 days and I was there for 7. It doesn't take long to get to know the staff at the restaurants and all of them were very friendly. In the evening the bar has either a guitar player or piano player, both who sing very well, and there was a great turnout of guests on Thanksgiving evening. I loved the location right by the bus stop, and close to many restaurants and shops, and of course the ski slopes. The owners are very hands on and are there often, both are very friendly and obviously want their guests to be happy. We will return in January for another surgery for my husband, and will bring our kids the next trip. It feels like home at this hotel, can't say one bad thing about it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!