“Not what I expected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Vail
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

When I read the reviews on this site, the Sonnenalp seemed like a can't lose proposition. And when I arrived, I was impressed at how quaint and cozy the place seemed. But after my first day, I knew that I made a mistake in picking the Sonnenalp for my first trip to Vail. Upon check-in, I found dirty women's underwear and socks in my closet from the last guest! Talk about gross! The maids constantly entered my room, even when I shouted for them to wait a minute or come back! None of them speak English. I had to repeatedly ask for turn-down service, newspaper delivery, and bottled water. The written rate quote I was given by my AMEX Fine Hotels agent was not being honored at check-in. No one at the front desk gave me any info about the property or hours at check-in. There were several outsiders that snuck into the spa each night because no one checked ID's. Room service does not offer hot tea, chocolate milk or ice cream sundaes. The robes in the spa are all one-size fits all, which does not help guys like me that have broad shoulders. The food at the Bully Restaurant was 2 star at best. I had to keep asking for towels, water and eucalyptus at the spa, because there is no spa attendant to refill those items. I used a towel to clean up a juice spill and left it on the floor. The maids came, folded the dirty towel and placed it on the sink! The TV's are not hi-def. Lastly, I could hear a lot of noise between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. from the doors and elevators. The hotel is not that well insulated. Maybe service was bad because it was the beginning of the season, or maybe good help is just hard to find. I don't know. I mentioned these things to the hotel manager Stefan and he did not seem that concerned. He just kept smiling, shook my hand and wished me luck. Not a good way to win over a customer.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Stanton, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

Our suite was nicely furnished, spacious, and we liked the gas burning fireplace. However, the bedroom was upstairs on a separate floor, while the bathroom was downstairs. As you know, hot air rises. So even when we had the heater turned off or the temperature turned to maximum cool, it was uncomfortably hot upstairs. Normally you could just open the window to solve the problem, however my fiancee was coming down with a cold, and unusually sensitive to the night air and the street noise.

The other area in which the hotel was a little less than stellar was location. It's about a 10 minute walk to the lifts and 5 minutes to the main part of downtown. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred either ski in / ski out or something like the Lodge at Cordillera, in a secluded, peaceful area. If you like something in between though (I'm a man of extremes), this might just fit the bill.

The concierge was great -- very helpful, as were the rest of the hotel staff. The fitness center was good considering the size of the hotel, and my fiancee liked the spa. Ludwigs for breakfast was great. We had mixed dinner experiences at Ludwigs and Swiss Chalet. At both restaurants, one of us really liked the meal while the other was disappointed.

The cookies they brought by the rooms at night were great.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

My husband went to Vail for knee surgery and we stayed at the Sonnenalp Resort. The staff throughout the hotel was great especially John and Jeff, who drove my husband daily to the hospital and physical therapy, along with shopping. My husband was at the hotel for 10 days and I was there for 7. It doesn't take long to get to know the staff at the restaurants and all of them were very friendly. In the evening the bar has either a guitar player or piano player, both who sing very well, and there was a great turnout of guests on Thanksgiving evening. I loved the location right by the bus stop, and close to many restaurants and shops, and of course the ski slopes. The owners are very hands on and are there often, both are very friendly and obviously want their guests to be happy. We will return in January for another surgery for my husband, and will bring our kids the next trip. It feels like home at this hotel, can't say one bad thing about it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We went off-season and had a great time. We were upgraded to a two bedroom suite without even asking. Did not skimp on the luxury. Hotel spa indoor/pool spa are quite nice. Breakfast that comes with rate is quite good in a beautiful setting and can be used as a brunch.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We visited Sonnenalp in October and it is a lovely, unusual resort. Quaint, charming. However, I believe the air conditioning was already off for the season and it was uncomfortably warm/stuffy in our room. I heard the same complaint from others. We let the front desk know about it, however, we did not see any improvement.
Staff is wonderful, room was nice and well maintained. Comfy bed...loved the cookie and bottle of water left for us at turn down each night, ice delivered to the room every afternoon (no access to ice machine). Restaurant was good, nice bar, library. Breakfast buffett was overpriced, but good.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Elkhorn, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I am a Travel Professional and have been in the Trave Industry for over 40 years. During this time I have travelled all over the World staying at some of the finest Hotels. The Sonnenalp rates up their with the best of them. This luxury hotel is a member of the Leading Small Hotels of the World and the great thing about it, is the understated luxury. Everything is high quality including the suites, food and staff. From the moment you check in until you leave, you will appreciate the level of service coupled with a very friendly and helpful approach. Some of the staff are European from Bavaria which adds to the great Tyrolean/Bavarian feel of the hotel.
If you intend to visit the Vail area, I thoroughly recommend the Sonnenalp, you will not be disappointed at all.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

We spent a week 5 nights at the Sonnenalp. The location couldn't have been better. As for the hotel. THe rooms were large with fabulous bathrooms - we loved the heated floors - even in August. The service was exceptional - we were greeted at meals by our names - that was a first! Turndown service was the best as it included delicious homemade cookies and bottled water. Definitely would stay here again and I know why it's one of the Leading Hotels of the World - richly deserved.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!