“The best in Vail - TOP NOTCH” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Discounted Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Vail
Perth, Australia
“The best in Vail - TOP NOTCH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

WOW - what can I say. The Sonnenalp has exceeded all my expectations & please trust me you will not get this level of service & detail anywhere else here in Vail.
As a Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, Savoy or Plaza Athenne Paris girl I am used to 5 star hotels in every country I travel. I was slightly nervous about booking 8 nights here by giving up the Ritz here. After passing the Sebastion on the way to Sonnenalp I was pleased we did not chose there either, as it's tucked away with no space or views.
We are currenty in a Vail Mountain Suite on 2 levels. It's very spacious, lovely soft carpets, soft cozy beds and pillows and a large balcony with views directly to the slopes & over looking the creek & hot tub/pool area. The space that this property has is quite spectacular.

The detail here has not been missed which is what I judge my stays on. These guys know service and level of luxury and do it well. This is evident in the breakfast which is an enormous buffet of loads of fresh fruit, cereals, eggs done many ways, fresh juices and great coffee.
We ate at Ludwigs tonight and the food was excellent. This would be their fine dining restaurant and they did not disappoint, especially with 80+ pages of wine choices!!
They have private SUV's which can drop you at the edge of the ski hire area and ski school below the slopes & lifts. Rather than bus or walk I would suggest just asking concierge when ready to leave & a driver will take you there and pick you up when finished.
Overall I do not believe even the big names hotels will be hear the size of your room or level of detail, so if you are looking for first class & top notch accommodation you will not be disappointed with the Sonnenalp.
Our family has decided that the Sonnenalp will be the start of new family tradition to come to Vail each year from Australia and bring our family. Only 7 more nights left and it will be hard to leave!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the creek or the main mountain should be requested. If you can upgrade to the 2 bed Mou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Sonnenalp Hotel! I was certainly very excited to read that you noticed the level of detail we try to provide to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another ski trip!

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of further assistance.

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned yesterday. This was the maximum we had ever spent on a hotel BUT worth every penny. The hotel is central to Vail activities, right in the middle between Golden Peak and Lions Head. The free shuttle stops in front of the hotel. Beautiful decor, wonderful breakfast and staff.... Just amazing. Always smiling and willing to help in anyway and everyday that they can... All of them but must mention Jeff (Valet), Kelly (@reception) and Valanska (@ concierge, hope I spelled the name right). Hope management knows how special these people are.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent stay and kind review of the Sonnenalp Hotel. We believe that service is the most important element of a luxury hotel and I am so happy to hear about your experience.

We hope to welcome you back to the Vail Valley in the near future!
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here early March 2013. We have traveled halfway around the world and have never ever experienced better service and a willingness to please than at this home away from home. The staff makes you feel special and go out of their way to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is high quality and well worth getting the package if offered. The bar is fun. The location is super. The main pedestrian walkway with shops is about 200 feet away. The ski concierge that stores your equipment and brings it to you is but one example of the service. Also they offer a free drop in town with a car. If you are able then you will feel the difference the moment you arrive. This is a superb property. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We were in 311. View was of the mountain across from Vail mountain. Right below our room was a fanta...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and visit to the Sonnenalp Hotel!

We pride ourselves on superb service while providing a unique product in the town of Vail, and I am thrilled you were satisfied with our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Vail in the near future!
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I live in Colorado and do between one and three girls' getaways at the Sonnenalp every year. (Would go more often if ski season didn't put it out of my price range). I have never been disappointed by any minute detail of any stay. All staff members incredibly polite and helpful.

The main purpose of the our stay is the beautiful pool and spa. I am incredibly particular about a pool and the Sonnenalp's is hands-down my absolute favorite. The half-indoor/ half-out pool is perfect for any weather. We alternate between the solarium, with fire place and cushioned lounges, and the creekside sun deck. Both are incredibly peaceful to read a magazine, sip wine, and catch up with friends without any screaming children. I love that there's a hot-tub inside and out. The steam and sauna in the locker room are state of the art as well, complete with iced eucalyptus-infused washcloths and big fluffy towels.

The rooms also are beautiful- upgrade to the Lodgepole or better. The bathroom is bigger than most hotel rooms. The patios have great views with the sound of the creek, and the fireplace is a nice touch. The housekeeping does a turn down service with cookies.

All the food is excellent. We eat lunch in the spa, and dinner at Bully Ranch or the Swiss place. The breakfast buffet is the most well-done I've ever seen. 10 kinds of fruit, quality meats, and you can even add something off the menu, like lox.

This hotel is perfect for any type of getaway, and I am counting down ski season to go again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your return visit.
I am delighted to read that your ski weekend was a wonderful experience.
We look forward to seeing you next year.
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just spent four nights with my teenage son during a short ski trip. The hotel made everything easy and perfect. The staff was always pleasant, courteous and efficient, the breakfast was great, and the ski valet was exceptional. The hot tub and spa was relaxing. We suprisingly enjoyed the several block walk to the slopes, and the valet staff went out of their way to make our ski rental, storage, etc effortless. I usually prefer less traditional hotels, but would have a hard time not staying there. Seasonal hotels, even luxury ones, often require guest patience. Not the Sonnenalp- what a well run hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and stay.
I am delighted that you had a great time with you son in Vail and the Sonnenalp.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Sonnenalp is best in class. I've stayed in many resorts and hotels and I've never seen one run like this one. Every aspect of our stay was exceptional: the room, service, staff, food and spa. They made us feel at home and were attentive to every need from check-in to check-out. What a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The lower & middle-tier suite rooms seem to be the best value.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

What a well run hotel. Beautifully maintained, wonderful breakfast and a feeling you are in an Austrian ski resort.
Owner managed, he is there every day, and it runs flawlessly. We would look no further in Vail.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!