“A True World Class Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
December as low as $199!
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Cedar Falls, Iowa
“A True World Class Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here early March 2013. We have traveled halfway around the world and have never ever experienced better service and a willingness to please than at this home away from home. The staff makes you feel special and go out of their way to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is high quality and well worth getting the package if offered. The bar is fun. The location is super. The main pedestrian walkway with shops is about 200 feet away. The ski concierge that stores your equipment and brings it to you is but one example of the service. Also they offer a free drop in town with a car. If you are able then you will feel the difference the moment you arrive. This is a superb property. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We were in 311. View was of the mountain across from Vail mountain. Right below our room was a fanta...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and visit to the Sonnenalp Hotel!

We pride ourselves on superb service while providing a unique product in the town of Vail, and I am thrilled you were satisfied with our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to Vail in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I live in Colorado and do between one and three girls' getaways at the Sonnenalp every year. (Would go more often if ski season didn't put it out of my price range). I have never been disappointed by any minute detail of any stay. All staff members incredibly polite and helpful.

The main purpose of the our stay is the beautiful pool and spa. I am incredibly particular about a pool and the Sonnenalp's is hands-down my absolute favorite. The half-indoor/ half-out pool is perfect for any weather. We alternate between the solarium, with fire place and cushioned lounges, and the creekside sun deck. Both are incredibly peaceful to read a magazine, sip wine, and catch up with friends without any screaming children. I love that there's a hot-tub inside and out. The steam and sauna in the locker room are state of the art as well, complete with iced eucalyptus-infused washcloths and big fluffy towels.

The rooms also are beautiful- upgrade to the Lodgepole or better. The bathroom is bigger than most hotel rooms. The patios have great views with the sound of the creek, and the fireplace is a nice touch. The housekeeping does a turn down service with cookies.

All the food is excellent. We eat lunch in the spa, and dinner at Bully Ranch or the Swiss place. The breakfast buffet is the most well-done I've ever seen. 10 kinds of fruit, quality meats, and you can even add something off the menu, like lox.

This hotel is perfect for any type of getaway, and I am counting down ski season to go again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your return visit.
I am delighted to read that your ski weekend was a wonderful experience.
We look forward to seeing you next year.
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just spent four nights with my teenage son during a short ski trip. The hotel made everything easy and perfect. The staff was always pleasant, courteous and efficient, the breakfast was great, and the ski valet was exceptional. The hot tub and spa was relaxing. We suprisingly enjoyed the several block walk to the slopes, and the valet staff went out of their way to make our ski rental, storage, etc effortless. I usually prefer less traditional hotels, but would have a hard time not staying there. Seasonal hotels, even luxury ones, often require guest patience. Not the Sonnenalp- what a well run hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and stay.
I am delighted that you had a great time with you son in Vail and the Sonnenalp.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Sonnenalp is best in class. I've stayed in many resorts and hotels and I've never seen one run like this one. Every aspect of our stay was exceptional: the room, service, staff, food and spa. They made us feel at home and were attentive to every need from check-in to check-out. What a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The lower & middle-tier suite rooms seem to be the best value.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

What a well run hotel. Beautifully maintained, wonderful breakfast and a feeling you are in an Austrian ski resort.
Owner managed, he is there every day, and it runs flawlessly. We would look no further in Vail.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

this was my first stay in vail , we went there for skiing. from the very first moment we felt comfortable and the whole stuff is very friendly and helpful. On arrival we got our room. As I could hear the music from the bar i aksed for a more quiet room which i was given the next day in the morning. For someone who likes to go out in the evening its not a problem as music stops at 11 pm. Coming from Europe and skiing the whole day i like to go to bed early so a quiet room for me is extremly important. The Breakfast, included in my room rate was awesome. I love american breakfast and found everything from eggs benedictine to french toast, fresh fruits, croissant and may many more. The Ski Concierge near the Gondola is a wonderful service too. I sure will come back one day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am delighted to read that you had a nice experience. We work hard on focusing on services that are distinct and delivered very well and are encouraged when we succeed and our guest appreciates our effort.
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I spent a lot of time choosing a hotel for a weekend getaway. I wanted to be in the lap of luxury but didn't want to spend over $850-$900/night. I settled on the Sonnenalp because of the reviews of the service.

The good: Indeed the service was stellar. From the moment I made the reservation, the concierge was in contact with me to ensure all of our needs were taken care of (bed choice, dinner reservations, ski rental, spa appointments, directions, etc). Every employee wanted to help you. Every question was answered politely. Every need was catered to. The maid service actually cleaned the room. Bathrooms are beautiful with GREAT towels. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the dining room was beautiful (especially with snow). Water, ice and cookies delivered everyday. I've heard wonderful things about the spa but we didn't have time to try it out.

So, why not 5 stars? Well... The rooms aren't glamourous. Honestly, it might be time for a remodeling. Or maybe it's just a matter of taste. The Sonnenalp is more of a European feel than an American Four Seasons. So think stark white, plastered walls and basic pine furniture with solid fabrics. While the rooms were large and it was awesome to have a fireplace, the decor is basic and sparse. I got really, really tired of the print carpeting all over the entire hotel. Also, they upgraded our suite which was nice, but the suite they gave us was on 2 floors. Again, a plus and a minus. Nice to have extra space but climbing downstairs in the middle of the nights after a few drinks was rough. Plus, the upstairs was so tiny, I felt like I was sleeping in my grandma's attic.

On a very personal note, I really didn't like the help's uniforms. I found the peasant style dresses embarrassing.

Last, this property is not ski-in, ski-out. You have to walk about 3 blocks to their "club" which is in the basement of a ski shop. There you store your shoes and things while you ski and at night you store your skies. The hotel is central to the restaurants and shopping, just not to skiing. Not many hotels in Vail are slopeside.

In conclusion, I probably wouldn't stay there again because I personally enjoy a more modern hotel but I would suggest it to others based on the incredible service and nice bathrooms.

Room Tip: They appear to have lots of room styles. I would call to make the reservation if you have special n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your stay and comments.
We strive for an authentic european look and feel at the Sonnenalp. Purposefully distinct from many modern and trendy hotels.

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!