“My favorite hotel world wide” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   20 Vail Road, Vail, CO 81657   |
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Vail
Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. Louis, MO
“My favorite hotel world wide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This was our third or fourh visit to this fabulous alpine oasis. Bavarian charm, mountain elegance, outstanding staff, truly nothing negative to say. We upgraded to a suite upon check in. Had a roomy lodgepole suite overlooking the village. We actually liked this suite over the next level suite we stayed in previously as it was a pinch smaller but better layout (you can easily watch tv in bed). Love turning on the fireplace on cool evenings. Comfy large beds, giant luxury bathroom with heated floor, nighttime turn down service with cookies! Two tips: get breakfast included with your room, its an amazing spread, and in summer and early fall you can park for free in the Vail village garage about two blocks away. I have been lucky to have stayed in many luxury hotels, this is my ultimate favorite, it's the only hotel that makes me sad to leave, and I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for returning to the Sonnenalp.
We love being your favorite hotel and will make sure to keep it that way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Vail, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Sonnenalp is a replica of a beautiful Austrian lodge. In the heart of Vail, it is really a great homebase for all vail activities. Easy to walk to
everywhere, or take the free city bus. I love this lodge.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been going to Vail long before the Sonnenalp was built in 1979. It has a European feel and has a wonderful staff. The food is good and my wife enjoyed the spa. I usually only review unique hotels and resorts. The only reason I did not give Sonnenalp 5 stars was because they charge for WiFi. Common on guys, who does not now need WiFi? In a high price hotel, I don't like to pay $11/day for WiFi. Just charge a little more per day for our room and eliminate the irritation of paying for something we all want and use.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for your stay and review.
I glad to read that you enjoyed the european feel and atmosphere of the Sonnenalp. It is what we work very hard to achieve and make a point of distinction of.
I noted your comments about the internet charge. We made a large investment into our system to provide state of the art speed and reliability. We chose to charge for use rather than increase our rates across the board or add a resort fee.
Based on your feedback and feedback from other guest you will find our system changed this fall to hopefully address you concerns.
Elgin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Sonnenalp was a wonderful resort. Great location in Vail with fantastic service. The turn-down service with a soft cookie and cold water was a nice touch. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. The bathroom was luxurious, I loved the heated marble floors! We enjoyed relaxing by the fireplace. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Vail.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and posting your beautiful photographs.
I am happy to read that your stay was so enjoyable.
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I love this resort. It is upscale with a relaxed atmosphere. My husband and I were very comfortable. Every aspect of the service was excellent. Our room was fabulous, with wonderful views of the garden, the most comfortable hotel bed I have every been in, wonderful amenities. I really appreciated the turn-down service with a fresh bottle of water and fresh baked cookies each night. I would light the gas fireplace and enjoy my cookie thinking what I would be doing if I were home right now....oh how I love vacation. The Spa was so relaxing. I felt like the pool and hot tub was an oasis surrounded by the aspen trees, lovely wild flowers with the sound of the waterfall and creek in the back ground. We used the exercise room each day and also treated ourselves to a massage...heavenly. I appreciated the small touches in the spa, such as the fresh apples/oranges that you could help yourself to and the fresh water with either lemon, orange or lime. I spent at least 2 hours each day in this spa oasis and enjoyed every minute of it. The location is perfect. In the middle of Vail, you can walk to everything. I would recommend this property and I will stay there every time I go to Vail.

jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing your special anniversary with us. We strive for Sonnenalp to be a place for special occasions, different from a place you might find anywhere.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have stayed at the Sonnenalp several times, both winter and summer. Just returned from a week there for our summer vacation. The hotel is right in Vail Village, and we enjoyed a room with a balcony overlooking Gore Creek and the mountain, and surrounded by lovely aspen trees.

Staying at the Sonnenalp is really a part of the vacation experience. It is luxury and charm all together. Forget the commercial "luxury chains." This hotel is a genuine Bavarian design in architecture and appointments. Look for the beautiful wood carvings along the ceilings and walls of various spaces.

It's obvious why this property is among the Luxury Hotels of the World. Outstanding service is consistent among all of its staff that you come into contact with. A delicious European breakfast buffet. Elegant dining at Ludwig's (winter season). A comfy bar that lures you into a nightcap. The casual open-air Bully Ranch restaurant attracts patrons from outside the hotel, too. Elegant Frette towels, robes and bedding.

You will see the owner, Johannes, a fourth generation hotelier, watching over the property. And, and he likes to meet his guests.

If you're a golfer, play the challenging Sonnenalp course, and also enjoy panoramic mountain views. It's about a 20-minute drive from the hotel, and the club is run equally as well the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Gore Creek.
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for nice comments.
We will continue to make Sonnenalp truly different and special both through the look and design of our facilities and through our engaged and dedicated team. I hope to see you again soon.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just spent 4 days at this incredible hotel in the middle of Vail. We'd had breakfast there years ago and knew we wanted to stay there sometime. We now consider it the best hotel in Vail. It's so well run - the views are awesome - it's within walking distance to just about any restaurant or shopping you could desire. The pool area was absolutely perfect next to the creek and under the Aspens. So very peaceful! We looked forward to breakfast every morning because of the food and the glass room and patio. The spa and our services there were the best I've had in any hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor overlooking the pool and creek - there were no noise issues at all.
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your review.
Vail is a wonderful village and we are lucky to have such a premier location. Close to everything and yet secluded and sheltered by gore creek and beautiful mountain landscape. I am glad you enjoyed your time here.

Been to Sonnenalp? Share your experiences!