“Quite Simply the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Vail
orangeville,il
“Quite Simply the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

At the Sebastian, every staff person treats you like royalty. I have never felt as pampered (and I have stayed at some very nice spa retreats). The food is amazing at Lenora, the services are wonderful at the spa, and the hot tub/pool is soothing after a great day snowboarding. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Vail. Thank you for providing the ultimate retreat from it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

422 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Wow ! From the minute we drove up and were met by the valet staff, who gently and kindly whisked ours skis and boots slopeside (and had them waiting barely a few minutes later at the base of the mountain), to the front desk staff, the restaurant staff, and the general environs, we simply could not have had a better experience. This place is the very definition of SERVICE. Its almost as if they could read our minds and anticipated what would be not only nice, but extra extra nice. When we wanted to ski a couple of last runs in the morning and then check out, the Base Camp staff had our skis already back to the hotel, the bellstand men cheerfully loaded it all on our car, and we were ready to go within minutes. Unbelievable ! Our stay involved almost no effort on our part (except the killer skiing that we got to do). The Sebastian is simply outstanding in every way: thoughtful attention (but not too much), smiles and kindness from every staff member, a lovely pool and spa area, a gym that was surprisingly well equipped, GREAT breakfast buffet, luxury bath products, a little treat on the pillow every night. Seriously: it could not have been better. I have yet to give a 5 star that is worth more. KUDOS to the staff for making this a truly memorable experience. There is NOTHING they could have done better. We will be back. Over and over again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I sadly left The Sebastian today after an amazing 3 night stay. The service here was exceptional - from the second our shuttle dropped us off, everyone went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to be happy - from constantly handing out bottles of water, to supplying us with free shuttles to breakfast and ski school in Lionshead - it didn't matter what the request was, they were happy to accommodate. Our room was lovely and while we had a view of the road, it was still very quiet and very pretty. We ate breakfast at the hotel one morning - the buffet was fine and had a good selection, but the concierge was happy to provide an alternative for the next morning (hotel breakfasts always tend to be overpriced and we aren't huge eaters to make it worth it). We also had drinks and appetizers at Frost, which were really great. We attended Sparkle and Pop on Friday night... I thought it would be one glass of champagne and that would be it, but they absolutely did not skimp on the complimentary bubbly. After a day of skiing, we decided impulsively to schedule massages and luckily they were able to accommodate us both. I'm from NYC and have been to some of the best spas in the city (Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental, etc), and the service at Blossom was great! While the relaxation room might not be as fancy as some of the others I've been in, everything else was certainly on the same level of the other places I've been. I had Paige who I would highly recommend to anyone - I would certainly go back myself.

We were super bummed to leave today and are already planning our next trip back!

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived from Sydney on the evening of the 29th December having travelled for such a long time. The Sebastian made everything so easy the took all our ski gear and locked it away and enabled us to catch up the rest we missed and focus on the beauty of Vail. The Sebastian went through a recent refurb which is so welcoming. Absolutely all the staff went out of there way to help from offering water bottles to keep you hydrated at the high altitude of Vail. To ensuring our ski equipment was ready for us each day at Base Camp. Base Camp is 50M from the main gondola and you leave your skis there overnight and simply walk to and from the hotel in normal shoes. Base Camp is an excellent innovation that really separates the Sebastian from other places we have skied and stayed. My only suggestion would be to have boots heated overnight. We even did some star spotting in Lenora the main Hotel restaurant, not that I knew who the Jonas Brothers are but the kids where impressed.

Each night the family would play games in The Library off the main lobby. Those evening will really stay with our memories for a long time.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My Husband and I just got married and each year we travel from Australia for 6 weeks searching for powder in different countries. This year was our honeymoon so we decided to go to a 'luxurious hotel' in Vail.
I have read all the good and bad reviews here and can easily see each persons point however I will state the good and bad here.
Upon late check in at 11.30pm on the 12th Jan we asked the front desk if they had any suites available. The man just smirked at us did not even see if there was one available and said no. I think we look too young and not enough money behind us for this place. We were not given any instructions about where the lifts were or where breakfast would be we just got handed our room keys. The same evening we asked for directions where to eat and the young girl just handed us a business card which was useless in directions. We ended up asking a police officer on the street who helped us find the restaurant.
The next day the staff were completely helpful giving us directions (proper maps) and tips on whatever we asked for even the best restaurants to visit.
3 days in we decided to go to another ski resort for the day with our car. We arrived late that evening around 10pm. As we left the keys with the lovely bell boy we walked in carrying our snow boots and some bags. The front desk 'male' asked us what we were doing there and if we were meeting friends in a room in their hotel.
We were so disappointed, after all he did see us drive in with our car and 2 days prior he has seen us come in and out and now questioned us what we were doing here.
I simply stated that we were going to our room. I believe that we don't look like we fit into this hotel...maybe we look too poor for their Vail standards? Very disappointing and judgmental to the point where all the great things do not outweigh the bad.
I have to agree on the following things from other peoples reviews:
* Front lobby looks luxurious and the rooms are average
* Great service from the housekeeping staff
* Great in room amenities such as the bathroom gels, water and Nespresso coffee.
* The valet parking/bell boys are the best part of this service at this hotel
* Seems to be majority of the evening staff that have been terrible in service

We have one night left to stay at this place and we are looking forward to leaving in the morning. I think last nights incident has left a bitter taste...
If I was the owner of this hotel I would be reviewing staff and promoting the bell boys to front desk.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our family of 6 stayed in three rooms over the Xmas period. Overall we found the hotel very comfortable and the amenities great. We enjoyed the hot tubs,gym,library and the Frost bar. Though the service there was slack to say the least,we were on holidays so no real issue.Breakfast food was good but once again service let it down.Many times we ordered toast only for it to come out 20 mins later cold or forgotten on two occasions.It was not busy so don't understand why?We used Base Camp and have to say all the people working in there were fantastic every day so congratulations guys. House keeping were wonderful as well.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would stay there again if in Vail.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms facing the roads during winter as the snow plough came through at 4.13 each morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel during the exact same time as these recent reviews.

The accommodations were top notch, the base camp worked beautifully, We stayed in a one bedroom suite and really enjoyed, not only the amenities but the decorating as well. And it was very quiet for us.

I skied and really was set up beautifully by the staff. The concierge was very helpful, we were never told to "go to the bus."

Also, Leonora's, the restaurant was great. Frost, the bar was fun and the Hot chocolate is like nothing I have ever seen or tasted. Bravo to the Sebastian.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!