“Mixed thoughts my honest and fair review about the Sebastian.” 3 of 5 stars

The Sebastian - Vail
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Vail Rd, Vail, CO 81657   |
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Vail
Melbourne, Australia
“Mixed thoughts my honest and fair review about the Sebastian.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My Husband and I just got married and each year we travel from Australia for 6 weeks searching for powder in different countries. This year was our honeymoon so we decided to go to a 'luxurious hotel' in Vail.
I have read all the good and bad reviews here and can easily see each persons point however I will state the good and bad here.
Upon late check in at 11.30pm on the 12th Jan we asked the front desk if they had any suites available. The man just smirked at us did not even see if there was one available and said no. I think we look too young and not enough money behind us for this place. We were not given any instructions about where the lifts were or where breakfast would be we just got handed our room keys. The same evening we asked for directions where to eat and the young girl just handed us a business card which was useless in directions. We ended up asking a police officer on the street who helped us find the restaurant.
The next day the staff were completely helpful giving us directions (proper maps) and tips on whatever we asked for even the best restaurants to visit.
3 days in we decided to go to another ski resort for the day with our car. We arrived late that evening around 10pm. As we left the keys with the lovely bell boy we walked in carrying our snow boots and some bags. The front desk 'male' asked us what we were doing there and if we were meeting friends in a room in their hotel.
We were so disappointed, after all he did see us drive in with our car and 2 days prior he has seen us come in and out and now questioned us what we were doing here.
I simply stated that we were going to our room. I believe that we don't look like we fit into this hotel...maybe we look too poor for their Vail standards? Very disappointing and judgmental to the point where all the great things do not outweigh the bad.
I have to agree on the following things from other peoples reviews:
* Front lobby looks luxurious and the rooms are average
* Great service from the housekeeping staff
* Great in room amenities such as the bathroom gels, water and Nespresso coffee.
* The valet parking/bell boys are the best part of this service at this hotel
* Seems to be majority of the evening staff that have been terrible in service

We have one night left to stay at this place and we are looking forward to leaving in the morning. I think last nights incident has left a bitter taste...
If I was the owner of this hotel I would be reviewing staff and promoting the bell boys to front desk.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our family of 6 stayed in three rooms over the Xmas period. Overall we found the hotel very comfortable and the amenities great. We enjoyed the hot tubs,gym,library and the Frost bar. Though the service there was slack to say the least,we were on holidays so no real issue.Breakfast food was good but once again service let it down.Many times we ordered toast only for it to come out 20 mins later cold or forgotten on two occasions.It was not busy so don't understand why?We used Base Camp and have to say all the people working in there were fantastic every day so congratulations guys. House keeping were wonderful as well.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would stay there again if in Vail.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms facing the roads during winter as the snow plough came through at 4.13 each morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel during the exact same time as these recent reviews.

The accommodations were top notch, the base camp worked beautifully, We stayed in a one bedroom suite and really enjoyed, not only the amenities but the decorating as well. And it was very quiet for us.

I skied and really was set up beautifully by the staff. The concierge was very helpful, we were never told to "go to the bus."

Also, Leonora's, the restaurant was great. Frost, the bar was fun and the Hot chocolate is like nothing I have ever seen or tasted. Bravo to the Sebastian.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a three bedroom unit - the living room/kitchen area is too small for six adults. No views anywhere and the staff unhelpful. Compared to Arabelle or 4 Seasons this resort cannot compete. Needs a better system for the skis and at this level when you ask for the hotel car to take you to a destination - don't tell the guest the bus stop is out back!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel lobby looks nice. There is a very trendy library downstairs in the lounge but that is about the only things that is luxurious about this hotel.

The rooms are realy ugly. Someone needs to tell the decorator of this hotel that modern is not beige walls with cheesy prints in gold frames is not sleek and modern. The furniture looks like it could be have belonged in Best Western. They are chipped and the towels are old and worn. The bathroom is so tiny, it's smaller own home bathroom in nyc with a small tub and dirty shower curtains so if you are looking for a spa bath, forget about it! And, for $635, I get a glorious view of the parking garage. The front desk informed me that they save the best views for the suits, so single travels should know that they are going to get shafted. This would be okay if you are just looking for an average utilitarian business hotel, like a Hilton or a Sheraton, but it's not luxury.

So let's say we forget the room, there is a supposedly great bar downstairs. I told the bartender exactly how to make my favorite cocktail, and it still came out wrong. It turns out that he ignores the portion part of my instructions and is using the cheapest ingredients to make the drinks (ie everything came from a gun and per made bottle). So the bar is really a college frat bar in disguise. May be the F&B director should clue in the fact that good ingredients are important?

When I complained, the front desk told me that I am welcome to check out other hotels in town but the Sebastian has a very strict cancellation policy. Well, may be it is that way because most guest who know better would want to leave immediately if they can.

Having said that the bellman is the bet part of this hotel. The guy I had was courteous and patient.

If you want luxury go to the four seasons and because this place really is not much better than average.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
alynch84, Director of Sales at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear YaRoo - we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at The Sebastian - Vail. We obviously did not meet your expectations and would love to know how we can make this right. As you can see by our other reviews this is a very disparate experience than all of our most recent customers. We know your travel getting to Vail was disrupted by airline issues. Please call me so we can discuss. Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was the 2nd consecutive year we've stayed at The Sebastian over the holidays, & if possible, our experience this year was even better than last. The hotel continues to pamper their guests with many little extras hotel guests normally aren't used to expecting, such as bottled water, soda, fresh fruit, and substantial, quality snacks. Furthermore, the rooms are appointed with quality robes and slippers that you can use for jaunts to the excellent spa or outdoor heated pool and hot tubs. Probably the feature I appreciated most was the fine espresso maker in the room! We indulged in the breakfast each morning, with an excellent array of breakfast favorites, both familiar and exotic. Lance, the general manager, is very personable and friendly, and truly looks after his guests' comfort and happiness. In fact we met many of the staff, who were all dedicated to making our stay there the best possible. Last but not least, even though The Sebastian is located near the transportation center, their Base Camp facility is right at the base of the new Gondola One! They not only keep your skis, poles & boots for you each night, you can rent equipment, get overnight ski tuning, etc. The folks there are super-friendly and their service truly takes the ski-in/ski-out experience to a new level. I would go back to The Sebastian any time we vacation in Vail, and strongly recommend it to my family and friends

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is hands-down the best hotel I’ve ever stayed at. My wife and I spent a week at the Sebastian and we were overly impressed by the professionalism and willingness the staff had to take care of the guests. Where do I start? When we checked-in to the hotel and the lobby was amazing. It has a huge fireplace in the center with lots of couches you can just lounge on and read a book. The hotel has a ski-shop that will rent you all the things needed for a fun day on the slopes. The front desk manager was extremely knowledgeable about all the places to eat/drink/play. The rooms are fantastic, the bed was five-star comfortable, ample pillows, clean bathroom and the typical amenities you’d look for. The fridge was packed with free water/soda/snacks…very nice! Room service was totally on top of everything, bringing food/drinks quickly. The hotel has a swimming pool and hot tubs outside. At night, it was so nice to soak in the hot tub, then sit by the outside fire pit and have a drink. The gym is modern with lots of brand new equipment. There’s a spa on the main floor that was also amazing. My wife and I took advantage of the Spa’s daily specials and even though it was a little pricey, the service was amazing. The hotel is in the Vail-village core area, so you just walk outside the hotel side entrance and you’re in the village! There’s a little store right next to the hotel where you can buy all of your wine/beer/drinks. The hotel also has a bar called Frost that had excellent service and the bartender makes you feel right at home. We will be coming back to The Sebastian this year and can’t wait. I was so impressed by everything the hotel had to offer and would consider this better than the Ritz and even Four Seasons. Stay there, check it out, have a great time and enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!