“Dog Friendly, Great Location and a Great Value too!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Vail
Denver, Colorado
“Dog Friendly, Great Location and a Great Value too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My Husband and I had a quick 2-night getaway March 28th & 29th to Vail. With Easter being so early this year Vail was packed! We stayed at the Vail Apex Holiday Inn in West Vail. I choose the Holiday Inn for 3 reasons.

1, The location, I like West Vail it is right by the Safeway, Sports Authority and a couple restaurants. Making it very convenient for those taking a shuttle in from DIA. You really don’t need a car if you stay here. We did not use ours at all. There are three restaurants on site, a Sushi Place, the Westside Café, our go to place for breakfast in Vail to matter where we stay and a Bar and Grill.

2. Dog Friendly. We brought ours and it worked out great. There were a number of other dogs on the floor and a couple of times you could hear them for a brief moment as you walked down the hall but we never heard anything once we were in the room. I doubt anyone would be bothered. All the dog and owners I encountered had the dogs on a leash with a plastic bag at the ready. All were very friendly.

3. Value, Free Shuttle, Free Parking and when we were there no Resort Fee making this a very good value. The shuttle was super convenient we took it both mornings and returned on it once. Our driver was great, though I was surprised by the number of folks that did not tip, even when he was juggling several pairs of skis for them. We found out that the Red line town bus also goes to the hotel with very limited stops between so you really have 2 options. We never waited more than a couple of minutes for a lift back "home"

Other things I enjoyed. Just down the road behind the hotel is a nice little park with a playground should you have any little ones that want to play. Also just down the frontage road about ½ mile is a trail that my pups enjoyed each morning. A nice Spa area with outdoor pool an in door hot-tub and steam room. Everything was spotless!

A nice touch was that there was a washer and dryer available on our floor. Handy for longer visits.

Our room was cute with nice bedding and plenty of towels. I love Holiday Inns when you, like me, forget something like tooth paste. A call to the front desk and they brought me some pronto. Great service all the way around!

I did hear that they have condo like accommodations too. Sounds great for families needing a bit more room.

Room Tip: We liked being on the second floor and entering from the rear of the hotel. Then you are at ground...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reston, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Planning to only stay one night in Vail during the busy and expensive sporting break rush, we choose the Holiday Inn based on the decent reviews and very affordable rate. We were pleasantly surprised with the popularity and condition of the hotel. It is older but still in good condition. It is way better than any motel or express hotel offering a true lodge experience with a nice lobby and full service restaurant - there is also a pool and spa services which we would have tried if staying longer. We arrived much earlier than checkout and our room was not available so we took the complimentary shuttle to town to spend the rest of the day there. The front desk staff was ok - friendliness depended on who was available. There were a lot of guests so the place had a good and active vibe. Our rooms were well appointed despite the age. The beds and bath rooms were clean and functional. My only complaint would be the thin walls. A group ofof guys next door came back at 3 am probably drunk and kept us up despite my call to the front desk asking them to quiet them down. So it made for a rough night. Had this been a higher class hotel, I would have been a bit more pushy to have the desk deal with it. Luckily the neighbors calmed down within an hour. The next morning we checked out and took the shuttle to town again. The shuttle driver was veryvery friendly and helpful. The shuttle service is a great deal if you have a car since parking is free at the hotel. It is on a reliable 30 minute schedule but beware of the rush of skiers boarding all at once when the slopes close. I recommend boarding before the slopes close or waiting in town for a while to avoid having to wait an extra half hour if you cannot board due to the crowd. If you are trying to board from the second stop at the transportation center, forget about it and just take the slower but also reliable and free town bus service which also serves the hotel area. One last thing: you will love the fact that a strip center with a grocery food and pharmacy store are next door along with other useful places like a Starbucks, liquor store, and fast food restaurants. It is all literally next door. This is a very practical place for families and those who plan on spending more time in town or on the slopes than in your room.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paonia, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This past week we had occasion to be in Vail for only one evening. We were visiting folks staying at an upscale resort ($800 a night during spring break) and didn't want to spend that money for just one evening to see them for dinner. I found the HI Apex for $169 and worried about what I had done on the drive to Vail. However, my fears were assuaged upon being greeted very nicely at the front desk. From parking to reception to lobby to room, this hotel deserves better than some of the reviews I have read.

Indeed, the rooms were a bit "tired" and the mattresses could use some updating - typical hotel/motel, not "pillow top" but the pillows were very good and the bathroom was VERY clean.

Granted - it is on the edge of Vail. Granted - it is dated in some respects. But there is SO much bang for the buck! The lobby is very nice - I could take a book and spend the day there. The staff, including housekeeping, was most friendly and helpful. The shuttle works PERFECTLY to get you to Vail proper - running every 30 minutes from the front door of the hotel. PLUS - it's connected to the Westside Grill - one of the best diners I have ever experienced with friendly wait staff and wonderful food.

My wife remarked, "you know, I really wouldn't mind staying a week there."

We will be back - and highly recommend this hotel. No frills - but GREAT value.

Trussville, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I liked the ambience of the hotel, especially the lobby. My room was clean and well-maintained. The shuttle to the Lionshead and Vail Village dropoff points was reliable, and the drivers were courteous. Overall, this hotel was a good value in the pricey Vail ski season. Also, this Holiday Inn has a couple of cool restaurants in-house.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed at this property at least once a year for he last 5 years. It is great. The rooms are nice, the restaurants on site are great. My favorite part is the outdoor pool and hot tub room after a day of skiing. Also, the shuttle is convenient to get to the base areas for both skiing and going out to dinner. We traveled with another couple and hey enjoyed it as well. We got there at 830am the day of check-in so we could ski that day. They were able to let us check in so we didn't have to put our ski gear on in the parking lot. The service is awesome. I stay in a lot of Holiday Inns when I travel for work and pleasure and this is one of my favorites.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
parma, ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have to admit, I was a little bit nervous after reading some of the previous reviews, but this hotel exceeded my expectations. As a priority club member, we were upgraded to a one bedroom condo. It had everything we needed, from a fireplace to a full kitchen. The room was very clean. The staff at the hotel was friendly including the bus drivers which were always on time. They are located right next door to a grocery store, liquior store and the Vail Ale House. Even though they are not in the village, between the free Holiday Inn shuttle and the Vail buses, we had no problem getting around. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Thank you for a great stay!

St.Augustine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Located in West Vail we spend one night not to go skiing, but to go to a wedding. Reception was very helpful in giving us a room at 10:30 in the morning. This allowed us to change clothes and get to an early afternoon wedding.

Room Tip: Center hall is noisy in the early evening, Suggest a room near the back of the motel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Vail? Share your experiences!