“Austria Haus Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Vail
castle pines, colorado
“Austria Haus Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is half fractional ownership and half hotel. This is a very quiet hotel with a great location in Vail Village, near shops and restaurants. The service is excellent, the rooms are spacious, ours had a fireplace and heated marble floors in the bathroom. Breakfast is included with your stay, valet parking, hot tub and heated pool. Please note there is an additional $20 resort fee not included. The valet service is excellent and the staff is helpful and friendly.
I love the hot tub and pool but the lighting is non existent inside the pool and hot tub which makes it pretty much impossible to see the steps. We stayed at this hotel last year also, and remember the towels and bathrobes feeling much newer and fluffier, these should be replaced

Room Tip: Top level rooms have angled ceilings above bed, and if you get up quickly can hit head on ceiling...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your post! I am glad our staff was able to meet all of your service needs during your stay! Thank you for letting me know about the robes in your room. I will have our housekeeping team address this. If you have time to email me and let me know what room you stayed in I will have them check that specific room. Thanks again for your review!

sbest@vailresorts.com
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I would have given this a higher review, a 4 at least, if it weren't for the fact that at leaving they hit us with a undisclosed "resort fee" of $20, which was explained to me as the fee for internet, breakfast, and parking. Internet, breakfast, and parking had been advertised as free or included(huh?). When we found the hotel (which wasn't easy) and were greeted at the door I asked about where I could park and was told that it was valet parking only. That was untrue as there is free public parking quite nearby. That restricted our mobility, and bothered me as I just don't care for valet parking. The room was quite nice. I just wish it had ended on a positive note.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am disappointed that the resort fee and parking had a negative impact on your stay. Most of the hotels in Vail have a parking fee in addition to the resort fee, so we want to make sure that our guests know that at the Austria Haus we include the parking and all of our other hotel amenities and services in the resort fee as an added benefit for choosing our hotel. I am sorry that this was not communicated clearly to you. I would be happy to discuss your stay in more detail with you if you would like. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

sbest@vailresorts.com
Wichita, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel when it was the Sonnenalp, back in the 80's. It was lovely then, and continues to be so today. My wife and I have been back two years in a row to stay at the Austria Haus, and wouldn't think of staying at any other property in Vail. It's a good location, has a very friendly and helpful staff, and has maintained a very comfortable and elegant European character. The breakfast is very nice, and the pool and hot tub are welcome amenities, overlooking Gore Creek, Vail Village and the ski slopes. Can't wait until our next chance to visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for posting about your past stays at the Austria Haus! Please let me know if there is ever anything that I can do to make your time at the Austria Haus more enjoyable. I love reading posts from people who have been coming to the property for years as that is the best compliment that we can get! We hope to see you and your wife again soon!
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This property doesn't have the glitz of the newer properties in Vail. What it does have, though, is a reliable lodge with friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, good breakfasts, and a wonderful outdoor hot tub after a day of skiing. The hotel is walking distance from the lifts and they store your skis for you. The internet is slower than desired and the gym is small and dated. You are required to pay $20 per day extra for parking (even though most patrons arrive by shuttle in the winter). However, the overall quality and value for the money far overcomes these minor issues. I return every winter (and sometimes in the summer, too), and already have my reservations for the upcoming winter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! It is great to hear from our valued repeat guests. I am glad you enjoy the breakfast and hot tub each time you stay with us. The Austria Haus is such a special hotel. I think our guests love coming back year after year to experience the exceptional staff and the charming decor that Austria Haus has to offer.

I enjoy getting to know our repeat customers, so please reach out to me the next time you are here and I will pop into the lobby and say hello.

Director Of Rooms
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed over this Labor Day, with pretty hot temperature, so your experience may vary from ours.

We got a Lupine King room, with has a nice spacious sitting area, comfortable bed, fireplace (not handy now but will be welcomed in the winter), and very nicely appointed baths (separate toilet). The decor was country-luxe, with European flair, complete with a bench area near the door which will be very handy for taking off ski boots and such.

The staff was more than friendly and the breakfast was definitely euro-style (except for the waffle maker). Cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, smoked salmon (very yummy) on Sunday.

Now the bad. Our room was right over the street side on the 2nd floor, and the A/C was anemic and not very easy to adjust. So it was hot, and we can't really open the windows (you hear buses going by and kids crying for ice cream next door). Actually even with the windows closed I can still hear the bus going. Not pleasant. I guess some people like the convenience of being in town (Farmer's Market was literally right outside the hotel), but if you want a nice relaxing weekend with some peace and quiet this hotel may not be for you.

Second thing is that we must have circled three times before realizing that you have to pull over to the right of the no driving zone. Duh! There was another car doing about the same thing getting all confused.

Lastly they do charge a $20 resort fee per night, so just be aware when you book.

I love the atmosphere in Vail and the different building architecture, but I think I will opt for the Lions Head side - quieter and closer to the Eagle Bahn (more activities at least in the summer on the slopes). Every day we found ourselves walking over there for shops/restaurants and the walk is pretty short between the two.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms are on the creek side and the smaller ones street side. Pony up for the bigger suit...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us! I am glad you enjoyed our European style breakfast. It certainly adds to the Austrian charm that we love so much!

I am disappointed that you didn't get to relax as much as you hoped to due to the noise coming from the village. If you decide to come back to Vail Village after you try Lionshead, I would love to help recommend some great kids activities in the area as well as ensure you have a quiet room location.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback. We want to hear what our guests have to say so we can deliver the experience they are looking for!

Broomfield, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and the holiday festivities and I was pleasantly surprised by how down to earth and friendly the front desk staff was from start to finish of our stay. Jared set us up with a wonderful room and Alex took care of us while we stayed. The location is perfect and the room was very lovely, bed was amazingly comfortable. We even got a really nice breakfast included which is very rare to find! It was just perfect and we will definitely be going back next time we stay in Vail.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side facing the Mountain would be much quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to spend your special day with us! I loved reading your comments about the staff. I agree with you, they are our biggest asset. We all look forward to our next opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to the Austria Haus!
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice rooms, staff very courteous and helpful, location is perfect. Valet parking is available and included in the price of the room since otherwise there wouldn't be any place to park close to the hotel. Recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
You will have to come back and see us this winter! We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to the Austria Haus!

Been to Austria Haus Hotel? Share your experiences!