“Flavor Explosion” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matsuhisa Vail, CO is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 101 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Billerica, Massachusetts
“Flavor Explosion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I went to dinner with some friends and we chose the $100 (per person) sampling menu. We were told that the menu changes daily and on the day we went we were very fortunate about the selection. Everything was delicious, however the portions are small. If you are very hungry, it might not be enough for you. For the quality of the food and the ambience, I give it 5 stars. The service was friendly but a little slow. We had to request our drinks a couple of times before they actually came out. This is the most expensive dining experience I have had. I am glad we went but probably will not be returning just because of the prices. I would recommend that everyone experience this at least once.

Visited February 2012

New York
“Each Dish is Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We have been to his Nobu restaurants in NY and LV. This is the equal of the others. Each dish is just perfect. It's best to do it family style. For the three of us, we had 12 dishes that we shared. The tastes and textures of each dish was quite different and delicious in its own way. Don't come here for the sushi (although it is great, just not markedly different from other upscale sushi restaurants). Order the more unusual dishes and you will be rewarded.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Do Not Miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Matsuhisa was a highlight of our vacation. We had the omekase menu, which comes in $100 and $150 variations. We chose the $100 option and were so happy. I am not sure what you get for an extra $50 for the more expensive menu. We didn't inquire. There were eight courses, all of which were delicious. There were three light raw fish courses, progressing toward light cooked seafood, progressing toward a beautiful lamb chop with spicy sauce, followed by sashimi, then miso soup, and finally dessert. Omekase was an excellent way to sample a little bit of everything. I highly recommend it. The menu offers a wide variety, and since this was our first time eating there, we thought it best to leave it in the chef's hands. The portions were sized well. We didn't get too full too fast, but had definitely had enough to eat by the end of the meal. The dessert is fairly large, so even if you have a big appetite, I think there will be plenty of food. It wasn't cheap, but all of the food was incredibly good and we even talked about going back again before the end of our trip! If we hadn't had so many other restaurants we wanted to try, I am sure we would have. The couple next to us said that it was their second time dining there in a week. Cocktails were excellent, the decor is stunning, and the service impeccable. The restaurant was packed when we ate, and felt lively and bustling, but was not too loud or overwhelming. I hope I get to go back someday!

Michigan
“Splurge and get the Omakase!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We make it a point on each vacation to have a "special" meal, and this restaraunt did not disappoint. Our friend had been to the Hawaii location and recommended the Omakase dinner. I initially balked at the price, but after enjoying seven AMAZING courses, I did not have any regrets. I am a vegetarian, and each course was so flavorful and unique, it was worth every penny. My dining companions got the carnivore versions and were equally wowwed. We were seated promptly, and the service was excellent. We had a variety of waiters, and each one explained the course and ensured we didn't need anything else. The ambiance is upscale, trendy and modern, but we did not feel underdressed in jeans. Great sake selection, too!

Sydney, Australia
“Overrated - go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

After reading the reviews and having eaten at Nobu London my wife and I booked Matsuhisa Vail with great anticipation. However we were sorely let down. While the ambience of the restaurant is spectacular, you can't eat the view! The sushi was cold and bland - like one of those sushi stands in a shopping mall. We ordered appetisers and main course, but it all ended up on our table at once (without sufficient room for it to fit). The service was haphazard and we felt rushed - we were in and out in under an hour. And for all this we paid US$200?? A couple of nights later we went to a much more relaxed Japanese restaurant in Steamboat and had a much better time, with more attentive service and most importantly great quality food. My message - don't believe the hype, there are many better places to eat, go elsewhere.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere