“Beds hard as a rock” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 33 hotels in Vail
Plano, Texas
“Beds hard as a rock”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This facility is broken into 4 different buildings, all look a little different on the outside but all have been renovated in the last six months and are beautiful on the inside. However, the beds are hard, 6-inch thick "Safe Slumber" mattresses. You've never heard of that brand for a reason. We inquired about a different room or mattress and were told they are all the same and the only thing they could do was add another mattress topper, which is a 1/8 inch thick pad that offers no comfort. I was told my other option would be to sleep on the pull out couch.

For real?

They later sent over an "egg crate" style pad, and while I appreciate the effort, it didn't cut the mustard.

I recognize that the hotel can't accommodate every possible variation of sleeper, but be warned that if you want a nice comfy bed like you will get at other 4 star places in town that you will be "sorely" disappointed.

We are checking out and going elsewhere. Can't let a bad mattress ruin a birthday trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I read a lot of reviews on this particular location -- some good and some not good at all. We just came back from there and I have to say that it was one of the best vacations we have had. Yes, it is sitting on the relatively busy HW (about 200 feet from it). But the property itself, the quality of the services and amenities were superb. Well trained personnel, instant service, great hiking guides (free), swimming pool, spa, hot tubs -- and all that in immaculate condition. We had a 1 bdr apartment that supposedly should not be serviced on the daily basis (extra fees). But it was and with the great distinction. A few month ago we spent a week in 5 star hotel in Vienna, Austria. I have to say that service in Vail's Streamside Marriott was at least as good or better. Free shuttle takes you to Vail (3 miles) or Lion Head (2 miles) and pick you up any where on demand. Can't recommend it high enough.
One possible drawback - no A/C. Summer time may be on the worm side.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue in a summer -- ask for the South view. Winter time with the closed sliding doo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My room was 82 F when I checked in. There is no AC. I called the desk and asked for a new room, but was told that they are all like that. They said, "Open the windows. It gets down to 40 degrees in the summer here. It will cool off quickly." Outside temp was 70 degrees at 11pm. No windows in bathroom or kitchen. Only a patio door in living room. Two windows in bedroom could only be opened a few inches. I asked for two fans to place in the windows and that helped tremendously--it was all the way down to 79 F when I tried to go to sleep.

The bathroom was small and very tight. The tub had a bunch of hair in it.

The kitchen is super-tight. Some things were not clean.

Small issue, but maybe this speaks to the service to be expected: I am a Marriott platinum member and every Marriott is super-welcoming to me...except this one. They did not give me the standard platinum perks. They didn't even meet my basic profile requests, and the place was less than half-full.

EXTREMELY disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sussex, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The rooms and resort looks just like the pictures; however, this resort is sub-par to most Marriott properties. No continental breakfast or any restaurant on the premises. Also, NO air conditioning in the rooms, not sure why, there is air in the main building. The rooms were hot and stuffy in August; housekeeping gave us a fan but it was very noisy and made it very difficult to sleep at night. Also, the resort personnel do not have very good customer service. When reserving the hotel or checking in, Marriott personnel did not tell me the rates increase on the nights that fall on a weekend. The room was definitely not worth the weekend rate. I would not stay at this Marriott again.

Room Tip: Find a Marriott with air conditioning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's StreamSide Birch at Vail, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
We are disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at our resort. The resort is not a typical hotel experience and provides guests with many additional amenities, services, activities and villa accommodations. However, there is no restaurant at the resort. A change of rate during times of higher occupancy is not uncommon. However, this is noted on your confirmation and the resort cannot randomly change a rate once you check-in.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This paragraph does not relate to the hotel directly and I am going to include it in all my Colorado reviews. If you are staying at Vail, please know that it is at a height of 8,150 feet (2484 m) above sea level. If you are coming in from sea level give yourself enough time to acclimatize to the altitude or else you will feel very sick. Drink a lot of water keep yourself well hydrated, don't over exert yourself. We went to the local City Market and bought Altitude Adjustment pills and they worked like a charm. If you are travelling with older folk as I was you might want to keep Oxygen on hand. You can go to the general store in Vail Village and get it from there. Small cans are 10$ (3-4 puffs) larger ones are 52$ and are refillable at that location. Or as someone suggested you can ask your doctor for Diamox. Or else you can get a bottle of Oxygen at the doctor's in Vail but you need a prescription. Please don't take altitude sickness lightly.

We stayed at the Streamside Birch for the first time. I booked it because it had a kitchen, we are vegetarians and fussy ones at that. We stayed on the third floor, we had a villa with one bedroom with a queen bed and 2 sofa beds in the living room, 2 baths and a full kitchen. The bed was comfortable the sofa beds were ok. There is no air conditioning but there were fans in all rooms ( rather noisy ones at that). The kitchen had all kinds of cutlery, pots, pans , mixers a coffee maker etc that we could use. it was very convenient. Also convenient was the proximity of the hotel to Safeway and City Market which are on the opposite side of the highway as the hotel. The hotel provides a shuttle that drops and picks you up from where you want. In the 2 days we were there we went all over Vail by the shuttle , they were very prompt and helpful.

I didnt have any problem with this hotel. Booking the rooms was easy so was check in and check out. They had laundry facilities, front desk and the Chief engineer Derek were very helpful. I would definitely stay here again. It cost me 170$ a night which was what I was expecting to pay for a room with a kitchen!

Room Tip: get a room at a higher floor. The noise level is less and the views are better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I agree with the comments about darkness, uncomfortable very outdated furniture and loud road noise. It can also see that it would be very uncomfortable in the summer months; even in the spring it is difficult to cool off, at least in the room I had. It is not up to usual Marriott standards and needs a total renovation to get there. It is reasonably priced for Vail but one must remember Vail is a VERY EXPENSIVE town. I did not experience the bed bugs but one review stating they exist should be taken seriously. I have never experienced them despite traveling often in the Third World but friends who have assure me that it is a very bad experience and comments which mention them should not be ignored. I would not stay here again. I wrote a very similar review to Marriott and never received an answer.

Room Tip: I was only in three rooms to visit friends and they were all the same. I do believe that the higher...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Junction
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week's stay at the Marriott Streamside and enjoyed our stay with this resort. I had read some so so reviews about the age of the resort and it needing upgrading. We disagree. The resort had everything we needed on site, was well appointed, with great service. We were on an exchange week through our time share.

We stayed in the Birch building on the top floor. Our unit was updated, well laid out and had excellent amenities. The bed was very comfortable with great linens. We like to cook in when we ski and the kitchen was really well equipped. Their shuttle service is very convenient and makes it easy to get to and from the slopes. We really enjoyed soaking in their hot tubs, and relaxing in their sauna. We tried the steam room but found it had an unpleasant smell and was really loud.

If we decide to ski the Vail area again we would definitely consider staying at the Streamside.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's StreamSide Birch at Vail? Share your experiences!