“Top Shelf, Smooth, No Surprises Ritz Carlton Club” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   728 West Lionshead Circle, Vail, CO 81657   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #8 of 33 hotels in Vail
Naples, FL
“Top Shelf, Smooth, No Surprises Ritz Carlton Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Folks can expect top tier amentities, large comfortable rooms (2BR residences are the minimum size) with only the latest top-of-the-line appliances and furnishings contributing to an enjoyable stay. The young staff, without exception, was helpful and friendly. Twice daily housekeeping was competent and responsive to requests. And, as it is only 2-years old, the appearance is fresh and inviting. A plus is there were no hidden extras for valet parking, a daily health club class or activity (e.g., hiking) or a continental breakfast albeit somewhat limited. The latter must be considered limited as it does not include bakery items and only yogurt, granola, a variety of fresh fruit, tea, cocoa and coffee. Tips: Free car & driver to any destination in Vail Village (great for dinner locally), first-come,first-served bikes for short excursions, free in-town bus just steps away and while there is no restuarant or room service (remember these are 2 & 3BR residences) there are excellent light meals available in the bar/lounge. One should not go here if you require a luxury hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had a chance to visit family that were staying at this resort. They rented a 5 bedroom and it was absolutely beautiful. Perfectly decorated and very spacious for a group of over 14. Everything was very clean and kept in perfect working condition. It is a little confusing with different hallways and corridors to find your room. However, once your at your room, it is hard to leave. This is a perfect location to Lionshead (very short walk along the path). Wide planked hardwoods, beautiful granite and great linens make this place perfect. The pool area was nice, but small. They do have BBQ grills and plenty of towels available. Yes, it is expensive, but you won't be disappointed. Overall just a beautiful property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
cleo1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

The units are all 2 & 3 bedroom. Units sre big, Beautiful, very comfortable, exactly what you would expect from ritz Carlton. The service was amazing, there were always 2-3 people ready to help us. We were here in summer and location was fine, we walked to lions head and rode bikes ( which they had avsilable ) to vail village or asked them to drive us over. In in the winter it might be a little inconvenient not to be walking distance to the lifts but they valet your skis and shuttle you right to the bottom of the lift so I can't imagine it would be a big problem. I would stay here in the winter too if I could get a good rate.

• Stayed June 2012
Visalia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I are Ritz Carlton Club owners and were able to exchange to this new property for this stay. Very nice! One of the best rooms we have ever stayed in. The service was very attentive and professional. We really enjoyed the experience. Will be coming back soon

Room Tip: We asked for a topfloor room and had a two story living room with beautiful views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
mobile, Al
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I visited the Ritz-Carlton, Vail the first week of April with our four children for a spring-break trip. We stayed on the residence side of the property. We have stayed at the Ritz in Bachelor's Gulch on five different occasions, so I feel like I have a good understanding of what a ski resort should be like.

Location:
Off the beaten path. Though the drivers at the resort took us wherever we wanted to go, I never felt as though I was where anything was in Vail Village or Lionshead Village. The Ritz in Bachelor's Gulch is like this too, but it has bars and restaurants that make you feel like you do not have to go anywhere else. This is not so at the Vail location. You have to leave, but that is another subject.

Condos:
Very nice, large and well decorated. We were in a four bedroom unit with a nice view of the pool. Only complaint is that the walk was very, very long from the elevators. Why there is only one elevator location per side of the property is beyond me. If one has trouble walking, request a unit near the elevator. We walked the stairs often, from the 5th floor to the 3rd floor, in order to get to our friend's condo. Oh, it was really hot in the units too. No matter where I set the air conditioning, it was hot. We left doors and windows open in every room night and day to get close to comfortable.

Ski Valet:
Excellent. No complaints. Great attitudes and very helpful. The ski valet is housed in a ground floor condo near the shuttle for easy access. (it will move downstairs when a new gondola is built in the area in 2014)

Food and Entertainment:
Non Existent! This is why I can not give this location five stars. I found this to be a real problem. The Ritz puts out coffee and tea in the morning, along with a tray of fruit and awful pastries. You must cook breakfast or take a shuttle into a village. I cooked because everyone wakes and dresses at different times. That was fine but the problem continues......there is a limited menu available throughout the day and until about 9:00 in the evening. It is very, very limited and the quality is not good. I never saw anyone dining in the living room. I fed one of my children one afternoon what amounted to noodles with tomato sauce poured over it.
When I vacation, part of the joy is to sit back, relax, and have someone else do the cooking for me. One can not do this at the Vail location, so be prepared to trek somewhere for every meal. While staying at the Ritz in Bachelor's Gulch, the food and drink is so good, we rarely leave the property. Oh, forget room service too!
Because there really is not a bar or restaurant available, I often felt as if I was at a retirement home! It is very quiet and few people are ever around. We did order wine two afternoons for apres ski. It was $25 per glass, and it was so quiet, we felt like we had to whisper! Do not plan on having after-dinner drinks with your group either. It is not available, as the bar is closed at 9:00 p.m.. Everyone just goes back to their condo.

Pool, Gym and Spa:
Pool was nice and the children enjoyed it. Gym is nicely appointed. Spa, again don't plan on having a typical Ritz Spa experience. The only service available is massage. The Ritz will call and have someone come over for this. The "spa" area is not staffed. I had to trek over to the Four Seasons for spa services (very nice) with a friend who was staying there.

Housekeeping:
Staff did a nice job, other than we did not get turndown service on two nights of our five night stay. One night we called and they came relatively quickly. The other night it was after 10, and I was too aggravated to call the second time. This is not what I expect from Ritz service.

With all of this being said, if we return to Vail, we will not stay at this location. I would recommend this location only to a family who wants a lot of quiet and does not like to go out to dinner, does not want room service, does not want access to a bar or entertainment, and does not expect spa services. The condos are fantastic and the staff was friendly and very service oriented, but I was just missing too much to feel like I was at a resort or on vacation. We toy with the idea of purchasing into the Ritz Club, but it would never, ever be at this location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

While some argue that the skiing and snowboarding at Vail is one of the best in the World, and certainly one of the largest ski resorts, there are ample accommodations available for you to stay. Our vacation "home" was at the Ritz-Carlton at Vail, which is part of the Destination Club chains, was absolutely terrific. We are a family of six and sometimes accommodations can be difficult. At times, for the price we have paid, we have been quite disappointed. So it was with some hesitation to follow up on a special offer to stay at the R-C in Vail. We were very satisfied with the ambience, detailed accents of the rooms, the furniture, the granite countertops, fine count linen sheets, the hot tubs and pool. The location is adjacent to the Marriott and a 5 minute stroll into the West Vail Village which makes it very convenient. There is a ski shuttle that will take you anytime to/from from nearby Eagle Bahn Gondola (takes 5 minutes to walk there - we kept our rented ski eqpt at the Lion Square Lodge which is on the pathway to the Gondola) or if you wish to other nearby ski resorts. Included is the outstanding service and assistance from the hotel staff ranging from the bartenders and baggage crew to the concierge and housekeeping. Always helpful, they greet you by name and always a smiling face no matter what the request. In addition to the expected hotel amenities that R-C possesses, the destination club at Vail had a "teen room" (complete with Wii, foosball, air hockey, and a few desktop terminals for PC gamers), bar/restaurant with great eats, and a cozy, well stocked library with two destop pc's.
To reinforce the expert service, I had actually lost my iPhone somewhere at the hotel and notified them. To their credit, they had already found the phone in the bathroom of our 3 bedroom condo and were waiting upon my call before they were willing to call me back at home. These "guys" do it right!

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
ny, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

While we love to ski, there is a certain amount of complication that comes along with a family of 7, all finding their socks, boots, mittens, hand warmers....and I have to say that as a turbo-mom, I've never felt so relaxed on a ski vacation. The terrific concierge Brittney was so helpful and the guys who shuttled skis and poles back and forth I cannot say enough about. Several people told us to not stay here because it was too far from the lifts. THAT is the beauty of this place. It is so serene but has everything and the shuttle team make it effortless. They would see you ski to the bottom and come to take your skis from your feet! The gym and pool area are large and spotless and there is a teen room that is, well, a teen room. This place is a find.

Room Tip: I think we had one of the worst rooms, on the first floor and we loved it. The layout is strange in...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ritz-Carlton Club & Residences, Vail? Share your experiences!