“Pathetic! Stay elsewhere.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Vail
Boulder, Colorado
“Pathetic! Stay elsewhere.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Self involved management. They are first, you are second. Everything evolves around them, not you, the paying guest. Nasty breakfast.! Stale bread, weak coffee, empty coffee pot. Cheap as it gets. Maybe even cheaper! Paper plates at breakfast because they are too lazy to do dishes. Plastic forks and spoons, too. Can't believe that they even exist in Vail. They lower the standard, take your money with the hope that you will not notice or complain. Unbelievable!

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
chrlodge, Manager at Christiania Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
We are very disappointed to receive this feedback 2 months after your stay. We would have appreciated to learn more detail and most importantly have the opportunity to make things right. We will do our utmost to investigate and correct the items listed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We recently stayed at The Christiania Hotel for 5 nights, Dec. 31- Jan. 4, which by the way was our third stay here. I've been meaning to write a review of it forever so here are the highlights of our latest visit:

PROS:
1. Location: The Christiania is one of the few truly ski-in, ski-out hotels in Vail (100 meters from the Vista Bahn Lift) and we are incredibly thankful for this at the end of a long day of skiing. The hotel is also walkable to the restaurants and shops in Vail Village. The location is very much the main reason we stay here.
2 Charming Decor: The Christiania is charmingly decorated like an Austrian Chalet and features whitewashed walls, rustic pine furniture, roaring fires in the Bar/Breakfast Room and paintings of idyllic mountain landscapes.

CONS:
1. Rude Front Desk Staffers: A certain older lady that has worked the Front Desk for years is generally unhelpful and abrasive to guests. The Christiania's General Manager, John, is charming and courteous so it is not clear why he tolerates her behavior. For example, the morning we were due to check out, we asked at the Front Desk Lady to borrow some packing tape. She seemed much more interested to continue her conversation with co-workers than find packing tape but she finally begrudgingly did so. The tape ran out after 2 swipes so I went back to the Front Desk to ask for more. She barked in a loud voice that she didn't have any more tape and that I could "go look for Nate to find some". (I didn't know Nate or where he might be). She then turned her back on me to talk to people in the Lobby inquiring about job application forms. It seems to me that a customer that has just paid 5 nights at high season rates to stay at her hotel, who has a plane to catch and who cannot leave without securing his baggage just MIGHT be a higher priority than random job seekers....! But maybe that is just me. Anyways, I returned to our room very frustrated so my wife went to the Front Desk to see if she could persuade the Front Desk Lady to be helpful. When my wife arrived, the Front Desk Lady had apparently found additional packing tape which was just sitting there on the counter. She made no attempt to call our room or bring the packing tape to us. It was almost like she was playing a game with us.

2. Housekeeping: The Housekeeping Staff can be annoying. Some mornings they start vacuuming the hall outside guestrooms at 8 am on the dot. They don't regularly replenish toiletries or towels (even when empty or wet) so a couple of times I had to go to the Front Desk just to get a vial of shampoo or a dry towel. The Hotel provides a turndown service so one would think that towels and toiletries would be restocked as needed then but they are not. Another weird thing was that when we got back to our room one afternoon, the cleaning staff had mysteriously taken our humidifier away, even though we had reserved it for all 5 nights. Lastly, once we left out a dirty wine glass and a knife which was initially provided with the “bar set-up” in our room. We hopes that they would be washed and returned to our room but we never saw them again.

3. Hotel attracts Families with Small Children: Either this appeals or it doesn't. In my view, hearing children scream and throw food in the small breakfast room isn't particularly relaxing. The parents acted oblivious and the staff said nothing. The afternoons can be worse as the children shriek and play in the halls while their parents are in the Bar.

So, would we return? Given the incredibly awesome location, probably so but cringing at the thought of encountering Front Desk Lady again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
rochester, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at Christiania 2/18-2/20. This is a hidden gem. The location is perfect. It is ski in/ski out and just steps from town. I think this is the best kept secret in Vail. I thought the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help. The continental breakfast was good and reasonably priced. The rooms are nice and clean. Felt like we were at a Bavarian lodge. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

The Christiania is a little hotel in a great location within Vail Village. They also run and manage a number of condo units in the middle of Vail Village and very near the hotel. The location really can't be beat. it is the best part of the whole deal by far. Our experience was that the service wasn't bad, it just wasn't friendly which is a huge part of service. For example at check in, they didn't do anything wrong, they just weren't friendly at all. It seemed as though we were putting them out by checking in to their hotel. Additionally, two other times when we either needed to leave our bags up front for the shuttle or needed anything else from them, they complied and didn't complain or anything, but they just weren't nice and helpful. When you are on vacation and staying in a nice place, especially in a down economy, you want the staff to at least crack a smile and be helpful. We may go back because the location is great and you don't really interact with the staff too much, but we will probably consider our options before booking next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

The Christiania is a lovely in. The rooms are nicely appointed and the lobby and dining area are absolutely charming. The location is great, I assume, for skiing (the lifts are right out the back door -- but I stayed there in early October, thus this was not a consideration).

One negative of Vail and the Christiania (out of their control) is the fact that the entire area is situated right on top of I-70. Traffic noise is constant. I just did not find Vail to be as charming as Aspen or Breckenridge. I did not here the road from my room (it faced the mountain) despite having the windows open, but I utilized the fan they included in the room (nice addition).

I recommend it (especially at under $100 a night in October!).

Stayed September 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

What a place and what a location. This bavarian inn was in a fantastic location and was very clean and neat. They have a great heated pool and the rooms were nicely decorated and roomy. Our room had a huge patio with lots of flower boxes and right in the main area of all shops and restaurants. Michelle and Debby at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The friendly service and the location
  • Tips/Secrets — Get the suite decorated in black and white toile with the huge patio if spring summer or fall
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston, TX
1,723 helpful votes 1,723 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

I stayed here recently Jan. 2-8 with some friends for a 40th birthday trip. The hotel is perfectly located - it is one of the few in Vail that is truly ski-in, ski-out. You can access either the Vista Bahn or Riva Bahn lifts in 5 minutes out the back door. The Christiania's decor is quaint Bavarian/Austrian with seemingly authentic decorations (knotted pine beds, antique Tyrolean prints, tasteful alpine knickknacks, etc.). The beds are wonderfully soft with fluffy down comforters. The bathroom products are by Aveda "Rosemary Mint" and the staff was quite generous with them. There is a varied breakfast buffet each morning in the bar/lounge area which costs $7.50 pp. and I think it was well worth it.

The only reason that I did not give this place 5 stars is because of a few hiccups that occurred during my stay. Namely, we specifically requested a 3 floor mountainview room when we booked the rooms back in July '05 but got put on the 2nd floor instead which is basically the groundfloor and hence has a limited view since it is blocked by trees. Also, the staff forgot to set up a massage for me that my sister had ordered with them several weeks before(lots of passing the buck by the Christiania staff when that error came to light)and some other minor issues. But - I have to say that the Manager John Everly was very gracious and apologetic about the mishaps and genuinely seemed to care about making sure that those kinds of things did not happen again. He also comped me my breakfast and bar tab during the whole stay which was more than fair.

All in all, I think this place is a gem and I will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Christiania Lodge? Share your experiences!