“New Four Seasons at Vail many issues need to be worked out” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Ski Free Package
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Vail
San Diego, California
“New Four Seasons at Vail many issues need to be worked out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We just left from a four night stay at the recently opened Four Seasons Resort in Vail. Upon arrival I was surprised at the location since the photos on the web site show the mountain close to the hotel. The hotel is located just off of the Interstate 70 Freeway and is at least a 10 minute walk from the ski lift. This is not a ski-in/ ski-out property. The problem with the location is that if you have children that take lessons, the meeting points are Golden Peak or Lionshead and you will need to take a shuttle in the morning to get to either of these points.

The rooms are wonderful and are larger than typical hotel rooms. Gas fireplaces are a nice touch. The decor is great and the bathrooms fantastic. The closets and dressers were nice and large enough to accommodate our clothing.

Overall the decor of the hotel is amazing from the carpet design in the restaurant to the light fixtures. The design is conservative, relaxing in color, yet fun and whimsical in design.

The staff is overall extremely nice . The bellman were great. The front desk personnel were very nice with the exception of the one individual. The restaurant staff was also superb. The concierge, although not busy, seemed to have a slight attitude and could have been more helpful.

Because of the location the hotel requires a shuttle. The shuttle staff was also fantastic in taking us to and from the lifts and helping us with transportation to and from dinner.

The business center was equipped with two new, large-screen Apple computers. The hotel was not busy so I never had a problem getting on a computer, but if the hotel were full then this could be a problem. The hotel has 122 rooms.

The room service was really nice also with the staff being most helpful and responsive. Coffee, muffins and fruit in the lobby in the morning was an amazing touch of elegance and thoughtfulness.

Now the negatives:

This might seem trivial but the equipment in the rooms were not pre-tested. The clock was off by several hours and I spent about ten minutes to figure out now to reset it. We had to call housekeeping. The hotel installed locks on the back so that the clock so that guests could not tamper with the time. It would have been helpful if they had set the time correctly in the first place.

The rooms are equipped with a Nespresso coffee maker. After several attempts of trying to use the coffee maker...which is quite simple to use, the machine malfunctioned and also flooded the counter top. Again house keeping came up and tried to use it but it did not work so they had to replace it. Again it would have been nice if they pre-tested the coffee maker.

As most skiers know the air can be very dry at high altitudes. We asked for a humidifier for the room. I called for one which was brought up promptly and we filled it with water, turned it on and after about 20 minutes realized that it was not workig. Again this was broken and they had to bring up a second one that worked.

I needed ice as I had a slight sprained knee on the first day. The icemaker on our floor did not work. I called three times and I do not think that it was ever fixed.

I went into the spa to use the hot tub, which could have been set a a higher temperature. I went to take a shower in the mens locker room and the handle of the shower completely fell off in my hand!.

They advertise a "Teen Center" which is really a small room with an air hockey table, miniature pool table, TV and a few books. I think the term "Teen Center" is misleading. Even though the hotel was open only two weeks, the air hockey table and pool tables were broken.

For the Spa, I had a hard time getting a reservation for a massage, when I showed up at 7:02 pm one night, I was told that the last massage needed to be started at 7:00 pm and they would not allow me to have a massage.

The concierge was mostly helpful but as mentioned above seemed to have a slight negative attitude. We booked a dinner reservation at an Italian restaurant. My son really wanted pizza that night so I asked the concierge if they had pizza and she reassured me that they made "Italian Rustic style pizzas". My son was disappointed when we found out that the restaurant did not make pizzas. If we had known, I would have dined at a different place.

Probably one of the lowest points was our dealings with Gorsuch. This is the ski rental company. When I called before we left we were told that they had a ski and snowboard rental office right in the resort. The small office in the hotel is practically useless as they directed me to go to the one on the base of the mountain to get fit for skis and snowboards. When I returned my skis early they gave me a hard time about a refund and in fact it did not appear on my final bill. I had to produce my receipt to have your front desk take if off my bill. Because we returned our daughters board a day early also, they gave us a hard time about putting the credit through to your front desk quickly so that we could check out.

My son wanted to be fit with a snowboard. His style is known as goofy foot which means that he boards with his right foot forward. My wife and he told them this repeatedly. When we got on top of the mountain in the middle of a snow storm he went to step into his board and found out that they did not set it correctly. Fortunately, we found another snowboard instructor who has a tool and he spent about fifteen minutes in the middle of the slope in a driving snow fixing his board. Gorsuch was supposed to send over his boots and board the afternoon when he was fit so that they would be there the next morning. When we called down in the morning to get his boots, they had not sent them over and we needed to wait before we could get him to his lesson.

We had planned to stay for five nights but due to a winter storm warning I inquired about leaving a day early so that we could drive to Denver before the storm hit, since we had an early morning flight the next day. I asked the front desk receptionist what would be the policy of the hotel if i were to check out one day early. She really gave me and attitude and told me that I would have to pay for the night anyway if we left early. So I asked her to check with management and let me know. Later she called to tell me that the hotel did have a policy that due to the winter storm that they would allow me to check out a day earlier and that they would refund me the cost of one night.

The hotel is expensive as the cost of one night was $1125,. Upon making the reservation I was not told about the $40 per night for parking a car, but the hotel agreed to not charge us for this. However, upon check out I found that they included the charge so that I had to ask for this to be removed from the final bill.

Before I left I asked to speak with the General Manager to go over these issues as a way of helping the hotel improve its service to its guests. However the message was not relayed to him. When I returned home, I sent the hotel and email asking him to contact me. Within a few hours I received both a phone call and email from the GM and I have relayed these issues to him. It is my impression that he will take these issues seriously as to maintain the quality the guests of Four Seasons expect.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!