“Not the best first impression, but improved over the course of the stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail

Special Offer
Ski Free Package
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Moneta, Virginia
“Not the best first impression, but improved over the course of the stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and very conveniently located to shopping, the slopes, and restaurants, but the signage that the city of Vail allows for hotels is pathetic. A very small sign under the portico is all that is allowed, and as first-timers to Vail, we had to circle a few times to find the building. we drove right by it and never saw the small sign. This is not the hotel's fault, but they could provide better directions in advance since they know that signage could be a problem for their guests. Also, we arrived at the hotel at 3pm after a long day of air and car travel, expecting to be able to check into our room and rest a little, but we were told that the room wouldn't be ready until 4, the official check-in time. We had a drink and a snack in the bar, but still couldn't check in at 4. It took until 5:20 (with much prompting from us) to finally get into our room, and this left us no time to clean up before a scheduled event that evening. The desk manager did send up some food and drink as an apology, and this was appreciated, but I was surprised by the long wait at a Four Seasons nonetheless. My husband and I stayed in a mountain executive suite, which was nice, but not as impressive as the cost implied it might be. I understand holiday rates in a prime location, but I'm not convinced it was worth it here. Also, maybe it was due to the holidays, but the maid service was slow, and only fair. Most days, our rooms weren't cleaned before 3:30 pm and we were only given a minimum number of towels unless we made a special request. As with most Four Seasons, most of the rest of the staff, especially the bell staff, front desk, and concierge were superb- friendly, efficient, and very helpful. The concierge, Lauren, went out of her way to get us reservations at all of the "adventures" we wanted- dog-sledding, horse-drawn sleigh ride, and snowmobiling, and she worked around our tight schedule. She did a tremendous job, so, many thanks to her! And whenever we needed rides, even for short distances due to the inclement weather, the bell staff offered us prompt door-to-door service. We did try some spa services while we were at the hotel, and again, nice facility and treatments, but not as good as the spas at The Greenbrier Hotel or the Grove Park Inn. So, overall, our overall trip to Vail was incredible, but I might choose a different hotel the next time we visit. There may be better values for the money. However, i will miss Lauren's professionalism and some of the other staff's level of service.

Room Tip: Simple modern mountain style decor, don't expect a lot of space
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Greetings, thanks for your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location in Vail Village. I am also glad to hear that you received a complimentary food and drink from our front desk manager--upon your arrival. As it is peak season, our housekeeping team works as quickly as possible to service the Resort's guest rooms. I will commend Lauren on a job well done--for going out of her way to schedule several outdoor activities for you. Thank you, also, for visiting our award-winning, 14,000 sq. ft. spa!

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I will start with their outstanding hot chocolate that they serve in the afternoon in their bar area - the hot chocolate and the presentation was great BUT the service was just plain bad. At one point I could not get our over extended waiter's attention so I went up to the bartender and asked for some napkins - he looked at me like "oh no" and went in the back and said all he had was either paper towels or kleenex ... nice touch for a $100 hot chocolate for 4. I also ordered an Irish coffee and what I got was a cup of coffee with supposedly a shot of Jameson in it. Not exactly an Irish coffee where I come from.
Hot chocolate was great, rest not so great. Hire some staff for the busy post ski time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Greetings, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please do contact me regarding your visit at jim.guttau@fourseasons.com

Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Totally agree with other guest. Service is definitely not like other four seasons. Every night entering room you never new what you would get possibly water Maybe the bed would be turned down every night something different. Definitely not a 4 star. Carpets dirty and just not the amenities you would expect. Also the flame is sub par. For this hotel. Although hot chocolate is amazing but again is it worth 16.00. Really ,,,,,drivers were great

Room Tip: Rooms good just depends on staff
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your recent stay and taking the time to review us. I would enjoy discussing your experience further. Please do e-mail me at jim.guttau@fourseasons.com

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall: We found a lot of things to like about Four Seasons Vail, but there were too many small issues for this to be a 5 star rating. It appeared to us that the long term staff were very much up to expectations but some of the 'seasonal' staff did not know their job / enough about Vail to provide the standard of service we have found elsewhere.

Location: Vail is not a big place, but the Four Seasons is on the outskirts. It does take a bit to walk to the town centre or slopes. There is a free local bus service right outside to Vail centre and Lionshead every 8 minutes...as well as a shuttle from the hotel to near the gondola.
Room: We stayed for 12 nights and were upgraded to a suite. We loved the walk in wardrobe, huge bath, extra toilet, ski kit cupboard, refrigerator for our own drinks and, of course, the most wonderful bed.
Facilities: We did like the outdoor pool (with heated towels / robes), jacuzzi's and large indoor spa. In particular soaking in the hot spas after skiing was a great way to be ready for the next day. The ski concierge is within 100 yards of the gondola and is a real wow factor.
Service: Highly variable. To pick out contrasting examples - the bar manager went out of his way to buy a scrabble game for us, the concierge team gave advice that was insightful and proved some tripadvisor ratings wrong and the ski concierge team always had us off skiing quickly and in warm kit; alternatively - drink orders forgotten, do not disturb signs ignored, spa appointments incorrectly confirmed, room not cleaned when asked. It's hard to be great at service and this hotel does it much of the time...which makes the failures stand out all the more..
Value: Given our upgrade to a suite we have to say great value. We also found Vail to be much better value than the equivalent European resorts / hotels. The flight is worth it if you are staying for more than 10 days.
Restaurant: Flame is fine for breakfast (particularly with the buffet - a la carte can be rather expensive and slower than ideal for skiing days). We had Xmas dinner here and it was decent...but for a FS hotel I would expect something a little more 'wow'.
Bar: Liked the team, layout and drinks menu. Food menu was highly limited. Did not like the bard being shut until 3 pm...if you come off the slopes needing food and drink before then it was strange to find it shut. Likewise the coffee shop was shut for our first week...why?

Us: This is our sixth stay at a Four Season's Hotel and the second resort (Carmelo, Uruguay being the other).

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our Resort. Our location right in Vail Village is a great draw for our guests, as they can walk to shops, restaurants, galleries and Vail Mountain.

Glad to heare you were upgraded to a suite and enjoyed the amenities of it! Our pool is definitely a guest favorite, as well as our Ski Concierge, so I am glad you mentioned those.

I do hope you addressed your concerns upon your stay, so that we could better serve you. It is through guest comments like these that we continually improve our product--and maintain our outstanding rating on Trip Advisor. Our coffee shop, Bean & Gone, is open during peak seasons in winter and summer.

Thank you for your visit and return soon.

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I been in many four seasons also in USA but that is not four seasons. For me four seasons is quality .
1. I do my reservation in November and pay 800$ for twin room me and my son 11 year old. In middle December my travel agent call me and say: it's problem in reservation system and they don't have twin room. But they give two option or I need to pay 5000$ more and I get better room or they give me mountain view room and bring extra bed. What I get. Pool view room and roller bed for my son. No excuses nothing :((( my Travel agent try to connect to hotel GM but its Christmass time nobody care...
2. They don't have minibar in the room . Because its family hotel and you need to order coca cola in room service... Is it 5***** hotel? I don't think so.
3. I call to reception and ask for adaptor from European to USA electric. They don't have . Are you surprised ? I am not. And that feeling just after 2 days in that hotel...
4 breakfast: yesterday we order eggs Benedict they bring just one egg but in two min. It means they don't cook by order, we order two green tea they bring just one,muffin ( base for eggs benedict ) was wooden like pancakes today. Why That hotel have Four Seasons name????

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Greetings, feel free to contact me directly to address your concerns. Regarding your "twin room" comment, we offer guest rooms with king beds or two double beds; we don't have twin beds. I'm not sure I understand your comment, so again, please feel free to contact me.

We stock mini bars according to our guests' requests, so each guest can have the things they like on hand during their stay.

We strive to continually be the best, and with guest feedback, we can constantly improve. Our Resort has a deeply instilled ethic of personal service, and we satisfy the needs and tastes of our discriminating customers each and every day.

jim.guttau@fourseasons.com
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This place is so lovely, from the art on the walls, to their signature hot chocolate. They think of EVERYTHING here! There are even humidifiers in every room. They constantly give you water in the room to avoid altitude sickness. I packed a bit too heavy and after shopping in the village, I had to have our snowboarding gear shipped to our next destination. They overnighted everything to our cabin in the next city! Also they found us the BEST snowboarding instructor EVER (Charlie Clarke). I will be back again...SOON!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your 5-star review of our Resort! Glad that you kept hydrated while visiting Vail. We strive to make our guests' stays outstanding, and part of that is helping them adjust to high elevation. Also pleased to hear that we were able to ship your items quickly to your next stop on the trip.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and and son needed a little local getaway, so we decided on a October weekend trip to Vail. Traditionally we stay at the Sonnenalp in Vail, but this time we were excited to try a newer property. We're huge Four Seasons fans, especially since we were married at the FS Avaira North San Diego. Prior to our visit at FS Vail, I emailed the concierge via the FS Vail website. I was a little hesitant at first to email through a web form, but I figured it was worth a try. I had made some pre-visit requests, which I happened to learn about through the FS Vail website. Low and behold, the concierge replied in less than a couple of days. no request is ever too large for the Four Seasons!!

Arrival: Excellent. No problems to note. The bellhop was very efficient and professional. Our luggage and belongings were quickly escorted to our room.

Check-In: No problems.

Room: Beautiful room. Wonderful appointments. I wouldn't expect any less from the Four Seasons. See photos. I loved the Nespresso Espresso maker. It really added a nice touch to our stay. We opted for a mountain view suite. The suite was situated on a lower floor, but we still had a nice view of the mountains. side note: The suite did overlook the service road adjacent to the fire station. Upon arrival we were greeted with a wonderful setup for our son. I had requested a kid's tent with special amenities for our 3 year old son. There was a nice size tent set up with plush bedding inside and a pillow. A really nice goodies basket and a FS stuffed Husky! My son was heaven!
Also, there was a package of fresh baked cookies. Wow. The best cookies I ever had. Bar none. They were so good that I called room service and ordered more later in the day. A great match with an espresso. The hotel was fairly empty, especially this time of the year, so it felt like we had the entire floor to ourselves.

Dining: We ate breakfast at the hotel(one morning only). What a disaster. The restaurant was about 20% full. The server was young and didn't seem overly friendly, nonetheless the service was efficient. Our three year old was a little more antsy than we would've liked, but since it was fairly empty, it wasn't to embarrassing. The breakfast food was pretty good and very expensive; not the best I've ever had. My wife and I were quite upset when we asked for O.J. and the server asked us if we would like regular or fresh squeezed. Now, a hotel of this caliber should be serving complimentary fresh squeezed O.J. with your breakfast. The FS shouldn't offer O.J. from concentrate. Enough said.
One of the problems is we're so spoiled from having breakfast at the Sonnenalp during our previous trips to Vail. The Sonnenalp b-fast sets a bar that is hard to beat. It is by far the best breakfast in the state of Colorado.

Kids area: Very nice. The FS Vail had a wonderful kids area with movies, computers, toys, arts and crafts center, etc. The Spa staff during this time of the year seemed to handle the Kids area. The staff member who helped us was very kind and accommodating each and every time we visited the kids area. She even let my son put his handprints dipped in paint on the handprint wall mural. Very cool!

Pool area: Vey large and very empty, especially this time of the year. We stayed a the pool for about 45 minutes or so. The outdoor air temperature was about 50F. There were probably two other couples at the pool/spa during our 45 minutes. Obviously, during the summer the pool area is probably bustling. I was a little taken back by the fact that I didn't see one FS staff member in the pool area. Oh well. I found really what I was looking for; a towel warmer. The pool area has a huge stainless steel cart filled with very warm towels. Perfecto! We used the pool and the spa. The spa water could've used some attendance as there was some debris and bugs floating in it.

Fitness Area: Awesome. Amazing brand new equipment. I had the whole place to myself.

Spa: I will not rate the spa itself, but I will rate what I saw. The men's spa area is exquisite. I walked through it just to use the restroom. I was really impressed with a special machine they had that is used to dry your bathing suit. Pretty cool.

Coffee/Cafe: Closed. It will reopen during the height of the ski season. Bummer. It would've been nice for it to be open.

Concierge: No problems except for the strollers we borrowed. the JEEP jogging stroller's front wheel was locked. It made it very difficult to steer. The umbrella strollers could've been a little better to say the least.

Room Tip: Technically, both sides of the hotel offer mountain views, BUT the "catch" is one side fac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a try! I am glad to hear our Concierge Team was helpful in planning your stay.

Our Nespresso machines are a guest favorite. I am pleased that your son enjoyed his tent; we love our kids. Glad to hear your son was able to enjoy Kids For All Seasons.

Regarding breakfast at Flame, you mentioned it was a "disaster." Please let me know what other concerns you had--beside your comment about the orange juice.

Our 75-foot heated pool is a showpiece for the Resort, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. We have Four Seasons staffers on hand at the pool in peak summer and winter seasons. Please do return to use our 14,000 sq. ft. spa!

Strollers: Hopefully, you communicated the issues you had with it to the staff, so we could get you another one.

Thanks again for visiting. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Director of Public Relations

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!