“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and and son needed a little local getaway, so we decided on a October weekend trip to Vail. Traditionally we stay at the Sonnenalp in Vail, but this time we were excited to try a newer property. We're huge Four Seasons fans, especially since we were married at the FS Avaira North San Diego. Prior to our visit at FS Vail, I emailed the concierge via the FS Vail website. I was a little hesitant at first to email through a web form, but I figured it was worth a try. I had made some pre-visit requests, which I happened to learn about through the FS Vail website. Low and behold, the concierge replied in less than a couple of days. no request is ever too large for the Four Seasons!!

Arrival: Excellent. No problems to note. The bellhop was very efficient and professional. Our luggage and belongings were quickly escorted to our room.

Check-In: No problems.

Room: Beautiful room. Wonderful appointments. I wouldn't expect any less from the Four Seasons. See photos. I loved the Nespresso Espresso maker. It really added a nice touch to our stay. We opted for a mountain view suite. The suite was situated on a lower floor, but we still had a nice view of the mountains. side note: The suite did overlook the service road adjacent to the fire station. Upon arrival we were greeted with a wonderful setup for our son. I had requested a kid's tent with special amenities for our 3 year old son. There was a nice size tent set up with plush bedding inside and a pillow. A really nice goodies basket and a FS stuffed Husky! My son was heaven!
Also, there was a package of fresh baked cookies. Wow. The best cookies I ever had. Bar none. They were so good that I called room service and ordered more later in the day. A great match with an espresso. The hotel was fairly empty, especially this time of the year, so it felt like we had the entire floor to ourselves.

Dining: We ate breakfast at the hotel(one morning only). What a disaster. The restaurant was about 20% full. The server was young and didn't seem overly friendly, nonetheless the service was efficient. Our three year old was a little more antsy than we would've liked, but since it was fairly empty, it wasn't to embarrassing. The breakfast food was pretty good and very expensive; not the best I've ever had. My wife and I were quite upset when we asked for O.J. and the server asked us if we would like regular or fresh squeezed. Now, a hotel of this caliber should be serving complimentary fresh squeezed O.J. with your breakfast. The FS shouldn't offer O.J. from concentrate. Enough said.
One of the problems is we're so spoiled from having breakfast at the Sonnenalp during our previous trips to Vail. The Sonnenalp b-fast sets a bar that is hard to beat. It is by far the best breakfast in the state of Colorado.

Kids area: Very nice. The FS Vail had a wonderful kids area with movies, computers, toys, arts and crafts center, etc. The Spa staff during this time of the year seemed to handle the Kids area. The staff member who helped us was very kind and accommodating each and every time we visited the kids area. She even let my son put his handprints dipped in paint on the handprint wall mural. Very cool!

Pool area: Vey large and very empty, especially this time of the year. We stayed a the pool for about 45 minutes or so. The outdoor air temperature was about 50F. There were probably two other couples at the pool/spa during our 45 minutes. Obviously, during the summer the pool area is probably bustling. I was a little taken back by the fact that I didn't see one FS staff member in the pool area. Oh well. I found really what I was looking for; a towel warmer. The pool area has a huge stainless steel cart filled with very warm towels. Perfecto! We used the pool and the spa. The spa water could've used some attendance as there was some debris and bugs floating in it.

Fitness Area: Awesome. Amazing brand new equipment. I had the whole place to myself.

Spa: I will not rate the spa itself, but I will rate what I saw. The men's spa area is exquisite. I walked through it just to use the restroom. I was really impressed with a special machine they had that is used to dry your bathing suit. Pretty cool.

Coffee/Cafe: Closed. It will reopen during the height of the ski season. Bummer. It would've been nice for it to be open.

Concierge: No problems except for the strollers we borrowed. the JEEP jogging stroller's front wheel was locked. It made it very difficult to steer. The umbrella strollers could've been a little better to say the least.

Room Tip: Technically, both sides of the hotel offer mountain views, BUT the "catch" is one side fac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for giving us a try! I am glad to hear our Concierge Team was helpful in planning your stay.

Our Nespresso machines are a guest favorite. I am pleased that your son enjoyed his tent; we love our kids. Glad to hear your son was able to enjoy Kids For All Seasons.

Regarding breakfast at Flame, you mentioned it was a "disaster." Please let me know what other concerns you had--beside your comment about the orange juice.

Our 75-foot heated pool is a showpiece for the Resort, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. We have Four Seasons staffers on hand at the pool in peak summer and winter seasons. Please do return to use our 14,000 sq. ft. spa!

Strollers: Hopefully, you communicated the issues you had with it to the staff, so we could get you another one.

Thanks again for visiting. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at Four Seasons Vail for a pre-chrsitmas ski trip with my husband. this is one of the BEST Four Seasons I have ever been to -- from bell service, concierge, dining, ski accessibility, etc... was PERFECT! If you are looking for a fun and romantic getaway you won't regret spending the money to stay here. Everyone who works here is friendly, remember your name, go above and beyond to grant your every wish whim & want... Here is my overall impression/assessment of this property:

Valet: Very prompt when you call for your car. They had the heated seats and heater on every time and always greeted us by name. the most professional yet friendly team I've seen in a LONG time. Parking was $40/night but well worth it when you consider the cost of hiring a private car each way.

Reception: The design of the hotel is luxury mountain chalet. Beautiful fireplace and interior lounge before making your way to reception desk. Friendly and efficient staff, very prompt check in and they make you feel like they've ben waiting for your arrival. Had fresh fruit bowl and chocolate covered strawberries as a nice welcome amenity with a note from the GM.

Room: We were upgraded (make sure you book with a preferred partner agent) and had a beautiful room w/ fireplace and views as everyone else mentioned in other post. Plenty of closet space, drawers, and coat hangers for convenience. I particularly enjoyed sleeping with the fireplace on/ windows open every night to enjoy the crisp pure Colorado air.

Housekeeping: Service is what you'd expect -- early or late morning service depending on your preference/habits and same with turndown service. I'd rather have the same housekeeper everyday because some days service was better than others depending on who was working. No nighttime chocolate made me sad as well.

Spa: One of the BEST spa's ever. Simple design but great service from attendants and one of the hottest steam rooms I've ever been in. My husband & I used the facilities everyday to relax after hours of skiing. I had the advanced therapy massage with Sara, you MUST request her, she is the best masseuse I have ever had. Ended up booking two therapies with her and it was money WELL spent. The facility is beautiful with a HUGE whirlpool, showers, steam, sauna, and plunge pool. The co-ed room is my FAV, it has a cozy fireplace inside and and outside where you can sit in your robe as snowflakes fall all around you -- a TRUE WINTER WONDERLAND!

Restaurant: We went to Flame every morning for breakfast and had dinner here two times. Both times dinner was good. Our first dinning experience was better than the second only because the waiter was much more informative and professional and I enjoyed the steak more than the fish. The side dishes (vegetables) were under-cooked but the waiter had the chef prepare us new sides cooked the way we liked -- truly GOOD SERVICE. Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. Servers were friendly but the best thing about FLAME is the view of the mountain. BREATHTAKING...

Ski Concierge: This is one of the BEST things about this property. They will fit your boots, skis, poles, and all other equipment have it ready for you whenever you want to hit the slopes and even carry your gear for you to the base of the mountain! First class service!!

Skiing: We were lucky Vail got a good amount of snow while we were there which made for ideal conditions. The mountain was unbelievable beautiful and fun to ride. We will definitely be back for annual winter trips.

Overall: Don't pass up an opportunity for a great time in one of the most beautiful places on earth with some of the best hospitality professionals in the biz. Four Seasons Vail is not to be missed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit; the holiday season is one of the best times to visit Vail--truly magical! And thank you for your extensive review and 5-star rating of our Resort.

I will pass along your comments and feedback, especially your "kudos" to Sara in The Spa!

On your next visit, just mention that you'd like some chocolates each night! Our pastry team would love to treat you.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had read some reviews here of this hotel posted in the last couple of years that weren't very glowing but as they enter there 3rd winter season, the hotel definitely has its act together. Service, service, service is what I expect from a Four Seasons and from the moment we arrived and Sunny arranged a very reasonably priced upgrade from a deluxe mountain view room to a mountain view executive suite, the service was extraordinary throughout our stay. The things we liked best:
1. The ski concierge just steps from the main desk where we got fitted for our boots & skis that were stored in the hotel each night. The rental prices were only slightly higher than the outside ski shops but the convenience more than made up for that.
2. Our room. The separate living room allowed me to watch basketball at night while my wife watched The Voice, X-Factor and her other favorite shows in the bedroom. We had a walk-in closet, a great view from the balcony and the TV in the bathroom was part of the mirror.
3. The spa was one of the best of any hotel I've stayed in and the steam room was set to a high temperature; just the way I like it. The co-ed lounge is beautiful and opens to the outdoor pool, fireplaces and hot tubs. A special shout-out to Jody at the spa desk for offering me an ice bag when she noticed I was limping from a mild groin strain when I came in on our next to our last day there and giving me another one to use that night; as a result I was able to enjoy our last day of skiing without any pain or swelling!
4. Not only did the hotel take us to Lionshead when we wanted to go and pick us up when we were ready to come back, they also offer a free courtesy-car service to anywhere in the area. That came in really handy when we needed to go pick up a few things at a nearby shopping center.
5. Location, location, location. Not only is the hotel is only a block away from the main lift at Vail mountain, it is also only a block away from all the shops & restaurants in Vail Village.
My only complaint? They didn't have a gift shop to pick up snacks, sundry items & souvenirs. They did have a limited selection of clothing in the spa but we ended up purchasing most of the things for ourselves and gifts for our friends elsewhere.
All in all, it was just a wonderful stay at a wonderful hotel and I'm already day-dreaming about going back asap!

Room Tip: The mountain view rooms are terrific. If it's not high season, be sure to check out the price of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Greetings, thank you for taking time to write this review.

I'll commend Sunny, a front desk agent, on a job well done! I'm glad to hear you took advantage of our Ski Concierge--a favorite service of our winter guests. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our 14,000 sq. ft. Spa and its eucalyptus steam room. (I'll also commend Jody at The Spa.)

Did you visit Bean & Gone, our coffee shop, for snacks? Our Gorsuch store on property does have clothing and other items as well.

Thanks again. We hope to have you back at our Resort soon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My second stay at this resort again featuring outstanding service everywhere by happy men and women. Love this resort. Recommend getting high altitude adjustment massage in spa (try Sara) -it really speeds up acclimation. CLEAN, spacious room was kept that way by usual twice daily Four Seasons service. Gas fireplace and soaking tub were so welcome on snowy days and post skiing. Arriving unprepared to ski and thanks to assistance of Jody (one of Spa managers--other, Marcella, is also helpful) who introduced me to Ski Concierge I was able to get equipped to ski. Kaitlyn and the guys all took excellent care of me and exhibited friendliness and unending patience. If you've never used this service, do so. On my next visit with my own equipment, I plan to do so. Breakfasts and nightly visits to the Lounge (try lobster tacos and elk corn dogs) never disappointed. And on the mountain, don't miss The 10th at Mid Vail.

Room Tip: At the last minute upgraded to Deluxe Mtn View - not disappointed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for visiting us again!

I will make sure to commend Sara, Jody and Marcella in the Spa! Our Ski Concierge service is a favorite of our guests; it makes the entire process simple and maximizes your time on the mountain. Glad to hear you enjoyed our lobster tacos and elk corn dogs, too--my personal favorites.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Last night I had a lovely overnight night stay at this Four Seasons, then spent this morning lounging in bed, reading and drinking espresso from the little machine in the room. When I took my shower this morning I noticed 5 red, itchy bumps on my hip, back and leg. They look and feel just like mosquito bites, but it's December and very cold in Vail. Bedbugs seem to be the obvious explanation. I can't imagine what else might have bitten me there- four of the bites were in an area covered by my underpants. I didn't see any bugs, but I didn't look too hard, just left the room and checked out. I told the guy at the front desk when I checked out and he said they'd check the room. So, beware! I'm glad I didn't stay more than one night!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Four Seasons Hotel Resort Vail does not have bedbugs. Four Seasons, the safety and comfort of our guests and employees is our primary concern, including the cleanliness of our entire hotel.
We work with our housekeeping staff and with several outside pest-control companies to ensure that our hotel is well maintained and thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis. Guests can rest assured that we are taking all steps and precautions to ensure that we maintain the high standard of cleanliness they have come to associate with Four Seasons.

Jim Guttau,
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just got back from a long weekend to Vail, and stayed in this beautiful hotel with our two little ones, ages 4 and 6. From check-in on, the experience was just lovely. The hotel itself is gorgeous. Despite its large size, it feels intimate and cozy, with many seating nooks centered around massive stone fireplaces. The room was very spacious, with a fireplace, a large walk-in closet and a huge bathroom with an enormous soaking tub, a separate shower and toilet. We spent a lot of time with the kids in the heated saltwater pool and hot tubs, which were so warm steam poured off them and it was pleasant to swim even with snow on the ground. A nearby cabinet held heated towels and robes. Maybe the best part was the service, though. Everybody was incredibly friendly and helpful. They knew our kids' names as we arrived, offered genuinely helpful ideas for activities, set up a great babysitter for us, took care of our skis and shuttled us around (to meals, to the ski slopes) in the hotel's fleet of SUVs. Our daughter's birthday was around the corner, and they left a cupcake in our room with her name written in chocolate on the plate, which delighted her. At every turn, we felt welcomed and like the hotel had thought of every way to make the stay easy and fun. We are coming back next year, and can't wait.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing us for your family vacation! We are a popular choice of families with small children.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your hotel room; at 575 sq. ft., they are some of the largest in the area. The outdoor pool, heated year-round, is a picturesque place to unwind, so I am pleased that you spent a lot of time there.

We love to anticipate our guests' needs and enjoy surprising them with amenities, such as the cupcake for your daughter.

We look forward to your return to our Resort!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is amazing, but borders on not being worth the cost. $40/day parking. $30/day resort fee. $480-1000+ rooms. It's a fantastic place with exceptional food, location, and service. Just be ready to pay for it. One of the most beautifully decorated properties I've ever been in, and easy walk to everything in Vail.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your recent visit and 5-star review of our Resort! Thanks for noting our exceptional service, food and convenient location in Vail Village. Yes, we do have a charge for valet and the Resort Fee. The resort fee includes various amenities, such as, complimentary transportation within the Vail Village, health club access, standard in-room internet, local phone calls, newspapers, in-room coffee & tea service, morning lobby coffee & tea service, access to our Kids for All Seasons program, and use of our private lockers and refreshments at our off site Ski Concierge during the winter season.

Director of Public Relations

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!