“Great Value and Wonderful Manager” 4 of 5 stars

Roost Lodge
1783 North Frontage Road, Vail, CO 81657   |
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Vail
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Value and Wonderful Manager”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

The Roost Lodge was better than expected and the best part was the Manager, Juan. He was incredibly friendly and helpful and worked with us to find the best room for our needs. I would highly recommend the Roost Lodge and I hope that Juan is there again for our next visit!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I don’t think this hotel has enough positive reviews, so I am here to set the record straight about this place. I am in my late 20s, and my philosophy for vacation is why spend so much on a hotel room when you are out and about most of the time anyway, as long as the hotel is clean? Save your money and spend it on a nice dinner, or on the outrageous $105 Vail lift tickets (buy lift tickets at least 7 days in advance online for a discount…)! The Roost Lodge is definitely a great value for the Vail area. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We will be staying here again if ever back in the Vail area. This place is NOT for the hoity-toity, but it worked out great for us!

Price: I paid $129 a night during ski season (late January). This price can NOT be beat in Vail!

Rooms: VERY CLEAN. Smelled really fresh and clean when we arrived, and everyday after they cleaned our room. No trace of mold or anything gross in the bathroom. Shower curtain appeared new and everything was cleaned well and appeared sanitary. Plenty of hot water, scorching hot if need-be. Beds are not the most comfortable, I’m not gonna lie. But it was fine after a day on the mountain. No hair dryer in the room, but they have one at the front desk you can borrow (that’s what I did). Has a TV with cable (old school box TV), microwave, and mini-fridge in the room.

Bus stop: Literally around the corner, the bus stop to get into town is about a 3 minute walk from the hotel (stop is called "Upper Buffehr Creek" and take the Green bus), and the bus from town drops you off about a 1 minute walk from the hotel (stop is called "Lower Buffehr Creek" and take the Red bus). Gets you to/from town (Vail Village) in 15 minutes. FREE! Runs frequently. No car needed. Who wants to pay $20 a day to park in Vail Village anyway?! If you do have a car, parking at the hotel is free.

Walking distance: A short 15 minute walk down the road gets you to City Market (grocery store, run by Kroger, takes the Kroger card), then another block or so there is a Taco Bell, Subway, Safeway, etc.

Hot tub: We used it one day after being on the mountain. Great hot tub, appeared clean, and water was hot/relaxing.

Breakfast: Free breakfast from 7:30a-10:30a. Consisted of fresh donuts from Safeway, bananas, orange juice, and coffee. If you get to breakfast at 7:30a, you have enough time to catch the bus to Vail Village at 8:16a, then the mountain opens at 8:30a. Perfect.

Internet: Free wireless internet in the Lobby area only (not in the room). They also have a desktop computer in the lobby for customers to use.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Roost Lodge many times over the years. It is the only affordable place left to rent in Vail. It is also conviniently located on the North Frontage Road with a bus stop right out front that takes you to the ski area. The Roost offers all the aminities we need, including a heated pool and hot tub. The staff are all very friendly, profesionall, and very accomodating. if you request any extra towels,etc., they will eagerly furnish them for you. The rooms are clean and well stocked. We look forward to staying at the Roost again. We hope it will rmain open for years to come.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
FOCO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

Every time I choose to reside in Vail I look to the Roost Lodge. The rooms are affordable and have a very homey feeling. I was there in both january and march this year and both times I could not have asked for a better experience. Wake up mosey on down to the lobby to enjoy doughnuts and coffee. Then walk about 1 minute to the bus stop and five minutes later I'm riding at the massive diverse resort of Vail CO. I would recommend this Lodge for anybody looking for a leisurely vacation with the family, friend, or partner. Its a great time, I am looking forward to my next stay at the resort hopefully sooner than later!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

I needed a clean, cheap, warm place to stay in a convenient location in Vail. Roost Lodge was everything I was looking for. It's not luxury, but it provides all the basics. If you are looking for pampering and hand holding, go someplace else. It's not for high maintenance people.

The staff was extremely helpful and answered all my questions. Great basic continental breakfast. Good coffee.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
MayoDeftinwolf
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

As in the past few years we visited Vail this spring to attend the Vail Film Festival. In the past years we stayed in a condo all together and it was amazing but we had to share beds and sleep on the floor. So this year we decided to spend a little extra money and get a couple hotel rooms so we would each have our own bed. Although this was not the case the "friendly" hotel staff decided not to inform us that they were to leave at 11 and although they knew the film festival did not end until 11 (we know this because we talked about it) the failed to inform us that our friends could not receive their room keys when they returned, but you know a "lack of common sense" is something that I want in every hotel I go to I mean what else might they have forgot, if getting into my room isn't a priority than what about cleanliness? So that night when we got to the hotel we were only able to get into one of our three rooms. So in that tiny overpriced room we were forced to sleep 6 of us in which I drew the short straw and had the floor and the only way I could fit was if I was half way into the bathroom. Not to mention the air from under the door creeping in made it impossible to sleep and kept me in a shivering fit the entire night. Great insulation right? And after this short weekend of this we talked to the hotel staff about us not paying for the two rooms we were unable to use, in which they informed us they could do nothing because their manager was out of town. It was a little frustrating but understandable so I decided we would call when the manager got back.
So this morning I called the manager and asked my question. He said there was nothing he could (or more would) do. I asked if the hotel was full he replied "no" I then asked if there was a possibility of the two rooms we were unable to get into being booked if they were not reserved in which he replied "probably not" so I then said that it was ridiculous for us to pay the extra charge for the rooms and asked if we could work something out in which his final reply was "[--] OFF!" before he hung up the receiver. In all My travels I have never once encounter such unfriendly, and unreasonable service in any line of work. To be honest I have received better service from a rundown old motel in Downtown L.A. run by a crack addict than I did at the Roost Lodge. NEVER stay at the roost lodge, you will receive better service and a better nights sleep in your car parked on the side of I 70 than you will at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
McLean, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Today is April 1st, 2010 -- and the Vail, Colorado area was hit with a blinding storm--blizzards, zero-visibility conditions, and as such, a 67-car pile-up resulted on Interstate 70 (both ways). Upon learning the news, each and every hotel, lodge, and resort was booked up in haste.

Upon arriving at the Roost Lodge, I was immediately impressed by Raul and Juan's extreme patience, hospitality, and generosity after receiving hundreds of phone calls from other distressed travelers who also found themselves, now, stranded due to the indefinite closure of Interstate 70. Raul, Juan, and one of the Roost Lodge's owners, Greg, went above and beyond to help me secure a room for the evening.

Raul, Juan, and Greg are true gentlemen, and they run the Roost Lodge with incredible hospitality and patience, and I would recommend this lodge to any traveler.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Roost Lodge? Share your experiences!