“Never a Bad Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Trinidad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Entertaining clients, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Trinidad, Colorado
“Never a Bad Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've eaten at Tequila's perhaps 50 times since they opened a few years back. The wait staff is always attentive and professional, and speak passable English, or excellent Spanish if you prefer! The atmosphere is very tasteful and colorful. Some of the locals don't appreciate the food because it is not the Norteno/Santa Fe/Taos type of southwestern cuisine that this region is known for; nor is it Tex-Mex, if that is your idea of Mexican cooking. The food is Cabo-style Mexicano, so there are plentiful seafood entrees and beef, lamb, and pork dishes, as well as the traditional taco-enchilada-burrito-etc Mexican selections. The food is always hot and delicious, with ample servings.
They start you off with chips and salsa plus a cabbage and jalapeno mix that goes great on the chips, with or without the salsa. A queso dip is available as well, but my personal favorite appetizer is the salsa hongo: mushroom salsa, which is chopped mushrooms, jalapenos, onion and cilantro, topped with fresh-squeezed lime juice. It is perfectly delicious! (It's not on the menu, but available on request!)
As I mentioned you can play it safe and order enchiladas, etc, or typical Mexican combination plates. But I recommend looking deeper into the large menu and choosing something you may not have experienced before. I have never had a bad meal at Tequila's, and I have eaten something from every page of the menu (although I still haven't tried everything). My personal favorite entree - arroz con scallops, topped with delicious red chile sauce and a generous side of Spanish rice. The apretalados - bacon wrapped shrimp - are also easy to eat if I can't make up my mind on any given day.
And of course, a full-service bar is open with beer, wine and cocktails, including a wide variety of margaritas made with various tequilas, as suggested by the restaurant's name.
Prices are reasonable, although a bit higher than most of the other restaurants in this area. Those accustomed to nice sit-down restaurants in larger cities won't even blink at the final check. Regardless, you get what you pay for - very good service, ambience, large menu selection, presentation and well-prepared food.
Enjoy!

• Visited November 2013

Fort Collins, Colorado
“Nothing special here...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

After a day of driving and before a night in a local hotel we decided to visit this restaurant. I ordered the Bartender Special margarita and it was way too sweet and therefore it took forever to drink and tasted even worse when it was warm.

A ground beef quesidella was something I could get at a fast food joint.

There were many servers who checked on us but none of them brought the second glass of water we asked for when we arrived.

I think next time Iwe'll travel into the heart of Trinidad and seek out some genuine Mexican food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“So awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Trinidad twice but have eaten at Tequila's five times. The food is simply awesome. The carne asada is excellent, true Mexican style skirt steak, and the pork carnitas are to die for. Their margaritas aren't bad either. In fact we stayed at the holiday inn just to be closer to this restaurant!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Apple Valley, California
“Muchos Awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The food is pretty darn good, reasonable too!
I ordered the Chili Verde, one of my favorites and the green sauce was absolutely delicious.
Ordered a $6 special (yester-year priced) Cadillac Margareta too (umm-umm good).
The staff was very friendly and the waiter was a real gentleman.
Best meal I had in the whole dang town!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
“Beuno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'm a frequent visitor to Trinidad area, and I usually stop here, The service is generally excellent and the for the most part, the food is too. I'd stay away from any of their really cheap specials, and I find some of the Margarita specials to be over the top sweet. That being said, the menu items are fairly priced, great portions and very tasty! I love the homemade salsa and queso. Atmosphere is comfortable, and has easy access to town and interstate. I will definitly continue to stop here from time to time and I would recommend Tequila's to my friends!

• Visited September 2013