“The worst place we have ever stayed, bar none” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Budget Host Derrick Motel to your Saves list
Budget Host Derrick Motel
Budget Host Derrick Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10301 Santa Fe Trail Drive, I-25, Exit 11, Trinidad, CO 81082   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Trinidad
Trinidad, Colorado
“The worst place we have ever stayed, bar none”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the RV park for a month. Bathrooms and laundry was advertised. The men's bathroom toilet was constantly plugged, and no toilet paper was ever available. We were told to bring our own. The women's bathroom also houses the washer and dryer. Men would come in and out and fold clothes while women were bathing or using the toilet. Also no TP. Very dirty, mud on the floor in the shower and people were allowed to smoke in there.
About 3 1/2 weeks into our stay, the washer and dryer were unplugged and we were not able to use them.
We had to buy bottled water-the water is yellow and has black rocks in it. We paid $400 a month for the site, but was quoted $345 over the phone before we got here.
As traveling nurses, my husband and I have stayed in many places-we have always had a good experience. Some things you can overlook, but this place has so many negatives I just can't recommend it. The only good thing is the location. There are several other rv/motels in Trinidad-I would recommend trying elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have stayed at budget host for 3 months. that motel is very cheap and comfortable.Also the man at front desk very nice and very helpful. rooms are clean and have microwave oven,tv,coffee maker and tv. the workers come each morning for housekeeping. this host is very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Carpet was filthy, could not stand to walk barefoot. Hair in shower. Tv, fridge, microwave - smallest I've seen in years! Who is gonna steal a 13" TV? Window latch had been drilled from the outside. Screen was damaged, flies had no trouble getting in. Overall, their price was at least double what the room was worth. Spend a few more bucks, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: go someplace else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband, children, & I stayed here for two nights. We arrived after 9:00 pm. I had called in advance to let them know we were coming later than expected. After numerous door bell rings for check-in, a man in jeans and minus his shirt, showed up to let me in. The official attendant came (appropriately dressed) after a few minutes. Our first room was clean, but the air conditioning didn't work and the bathroom sink was stopped up.

The next morning, we asked for a different room, and we were given a much nicer room with Wi-Fi internet. The attendants were very nice and friendly. They were apologetic about the room problems. The second room we got was clean and stocked with a refrigerator, microwave, television, and ample towels. (The first room was also clean & well stocked with good towels.) In light of the friendly staff and better room, I recommend this motel for anyone who is on a budget and does not arrive too late. If you come late you might get a less than desirable room. For $60 a night, this was a good deal (in the second room we were given)!

Room Tip: Don't arrive late in the evening. The best rooms are already taken.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Just outside the city limits and directly across the highway from a 24 hr major chain store. The desk manager gave allowances that made my weekend in Trinidad extremely pleasant. When I visit the town again, I will stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Midland tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

The desk closes at 11 pm and they will not answer the bell or knocking after that time. They also turn off their sign at 11 pm. This was not clear from website when we made the reservation. I see that has changed.

We arrived in Trinidad about 11 pm and missed the hotel because they had turned off their sign. Got to door about 11:15 and no one answered the bell or knocking. Could not make different reservation because at that hour computers only reserved for the next night. Ended up paying much more and finding something in next town at 2:30 am.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

For 50 dollars a night this is a steal. Calm and quiet , rooms were exactly what I expected for the price but also clean and tidy. I used it as a midway stop between Denver and Santa Fe and was not disapointed. As a clue to the location theres a huge oil derrick in the parking lot (hence Budget Derrick ).
would stay again if on the same route and even more so to eat at Tequila's mexican restaurant about half a mile south, which was great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Budget Host Derrick Motel? Share your experiences!