“Relaxing place in the Mountains” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Peaks Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Peaks Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Peaks Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   136 Country Club Dr., PO Box 2702, Telluride, CO 81435   |
Ranked #11 of 18 hotels in Telluride
Diamond Bar
“Relaxing place in the Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a very beautiful place that located inside Mountain Village. Easy access to free gondola service to town of Telluride. Hotel has one of the best spa in the world. It is huge with a saltwater Jacuzzi and many regular Jacuzzi. Staff is helpful but they like to nickel and dime you. While hotel was quite empty, we asked for a better view room but they wanted more money. On top of room fees, the hotel charges $25 to park and $20 resort fee, when you add on taxes extra cost over room fees are about $70 a day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
dciani, General Manager at Peaks Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Richard W,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our fantastic Spa. Parking is very limited in the mountain village and because of this we only have valet parking services available. We offer these services for $20 per night in the Summer and $24 per night in the winter. Public self parking is available in the village for $25 per night so we feel we offer a great service and convenience to our guests for less than any other option in the village. Our $25 Daily Resort Fee which is listed on our website before purchasing your room, is listed on all reservation confirmations, and listed on our registration forms at check in. We feel this is another example of great value and amenities as the Resort Fee includes complimentary bottled water to stay hydrated at elevation, high speed WiFi, unlimited local, long distance and international calling, unlimited access to our 42,000 sq. ft. Spa, Ski Valet service with Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider in the winter, daily newspapers, complimentary business center and business services. Thank you for your patronage and review and we hope to see you back soon and often!

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Booked two double room two nights online at AAA rate. Upon arrival, my husband upgraded to a suite with one-bedroom suite with two bathrooms and a balcony overlooking the town of Telluride and having a beautiful view. There was ample space for my husband, our 17 year old and me and we were initially impressed with the room.
However, it became apparent that night that there was a significant lack of lighting in the bedroom. Although there was a ceiling fan and side reading lights as part of the headboard, there were no overhead lights, so it was almost impossible to see anything in the room especially in the dresser, making it hard to dress and undress.
Moreover, the location of the only window in the bedroom looked out onto another room's balcony at the same level as the window, so there was no possibility of using the natural light either unless you wanted to provide a show to the next door guests. It would be helpful to install ceiling lights in the bedroom and replace the current shades with ones that accordion up instead of down.
Although the bathrooms are capacious, the master shower needed a better scrubbing and the hotel needs to replace its bathrobes or no longer offer them because they are torn and look like rags.
The spa is advertised at the largest in Colorado, but, at least in the swimming pool area changing room there was no area in which one could take a shower privately. Showerheads were available only to rinse off before you entered the pool and were located on either side of an open area-nothing enclosed. I found that annoying when you want to take a real shower after using the pool. My husband and son really enjoyed the pool slide, however, and the pool and hot tub were well-positioned with a great view of the canyon and surrounding mountains.
You are also required to pay for valet parking and for resort use. However, the hours for using the resort offerings are fairly limited in the evening; the pool and hot tub close at 8 PM. Rather early for a resort hotel.
The breakfast buffet was a good value, but did not include cereal, so families might want to order a la carte or buy breakfast at the cafe. The breakfast servers were delightful and very attentive.
If you are going to Telluride for views, do stay in the Mountain Village. The free gondola is easy to access, manned by delightful people, and runs very frequently. Also, it is an ecologically sound way to travel between the village and the town.
If you are more interested in the shops and social scene, a stay in the town would be your better choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
dciani, General Manager at Peaks Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear graftongirl,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and specifically our indoor/outdoor heated pool. We appreciate your comments about the spa, showers, robes, and lighting in the room and have taken this feedback seriously. New robes were purchased since you stayed with us and I am confident you will be impressed by the plushness and quality of our new product. While it is true that there are only public showers to rinse off on the pool level we do have a spacious lounge and locker facility on the main level that has several private showers stocked with bath amenities, robes, slippers and towels. I encourage you to contact me the next time you are planning to return to Telluride so we can show you all the new improvements. Thanks again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First night we stayed August 27, it was so disgusting. Sheets were not changed at all. Dirt and hair all over both bed sheets. Called front desk and they offered to change our sheets. Instead we opted to change it ourselves. To our big surprise we found more blood stains on the inner blanket! Huge mattress stains of some possible body fluid. I am so upset! I'm Still waiting for their assistance. Apparently, no night supervisor on duty, just security. This place is awful, we are definitely not coming back and I would not recommend this place at all to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear dollynron,
Thank you for your review. Again I am terribly sorry for your experience in the first room upon arrival. As we discussed an error in communication with housekeeping lead us to accidentally check you into a dirty room. Certainly this is a very rare occurrence and abnormal experience for our guests. I really appreciate you taking the time to speak with me and am glad we have been able to make it right for you. While we strive to make sure every guests has the absolutely best experience in these circumstances we will always do whatever is necessary to make it right for our guests! I look forward to the opportunity to bring you back and provide you with a great experience at the Peaks Resort. Thanks again!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Wow! Penthouse 2 bed, 2 bath with 3 fire places and full kitchen. View is fantastic. Great breakfast buffet $15 including coffee in a beautiful dining room with panoramic views. Slate finish out in both baths and kitchen. Very large balcony with grill.

Dear willlawana,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your penthouse and the breakfast buffet. Many people aren't aware that we have 2-5 bedroom residential accommodations in the hotel and at stunning See Forever Village available for short term vacation rentals. These accommodations have breathtaking views and incomparable finishes. We're thrilled for the 5 star ratings across the board and will look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Was very disappointed in the towels in the rooms and robes at the spa. Very shabby Most of the lockers were not in working order. The massage was one of the best stone massages I have ever had. The meditation room was not very tranquil. Maintenance men coming in & out was very distracting. Found mold in the bathroom shower in our room. Have been wanting to stay here for years and was a little disappointed. Will not be back to the Peaks, but will stay in Mountain Village again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TexasSnow1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. While I am very disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I glad you shared your feedback so that we can make the appropriate adjustments and encourage you to return to see the improvements. We are blessed with some incredible therapists in our spa and the treatments are truly second to none! I am glad to inform you that we have recently invested in new terry both towels and robes and I am sure you will be pleased with the Diamond Pique Terry Velour Plush Robes! We also are investing in new digital locks for the lockers in the spa to make the lockers easy to use and maintenance free. Since you plan to return to Mountain Village I would love the opportunity to meet with you and show you some of the improvements we have made. Feel free to contact me directly at 970-728-2509 if you're interested in speaking further and seeing what we can do to entice you to return to the Peaks to see the improvements first hand and let us know your thoughts. Thanks again!
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Mom had booked the hotel through a price line auction thingy, which apparently didn't give you the name of the hotel until after you booked. This was a mistake on our part- the cost of the room did not cover the cost of valet parking- $24 a night. There is no other parking. It also didn't cover the additional, similarly hefty resort fee. For a lower-middle class family, this was pretty devastating financially.

Aside from our determination to never book via priceline again, I would say our stay was otherwise positive. The rooms were nice, all the staff was courteous and accommodating, and the scenery from our balcony was inspiring.

Food in the area is expensive in general- we were lucky to find $20/person dinners, and prices at the resort itself was even higher, so Mom and I would eat out for lunch, bring something home for dinner (such as pizza), and survive off food we brought for breakfast and snacks (such as the dill havarti cheese we brought from home combined with french bread from a local bakery). The room comes equipped with a coffee pot, complimentary coffee, and a mini fridge.

We didn't buy any spa treatments either (we didn't have $130+ to spare), but no matter- there are several options that the resort fee already pays for. Geared toward 16+ year-old guests, there are gender-designated areas containing a roman bath, a dry sauna, and a stream room that smells like eucalyptus. Spa lounges offer complimentary lemon water and snacks (in my case, apples). For families and co-ed groups, down the wet blue stairs there is an additional dry sauna, steam room, and hot tubs. Downstairs is where one will also find an indoor-outdoor pool complete with a speedy water slide (that I was too chicken to ever try), and a whole bunch of other rooms I never did utilize- a separate lap pool, fitness room, and yoga room.

If you aren't into pools or spas, one could always curl up inside the old west-inspired lobby. Better yet, enjoy the scenery and stars on the outside terrace- complete with cushy chairs and numerous elegant gas burning fire places. The second floor contains an arcade and a snack vending machine. My mom was disappointed by the lack of soda vending machines.

And I guess that leaves our room itself. It was pretty clean, although my mom did notice a bit of mold and some finger prints in the bathroom. Mom found the bed to be too hard for her liking, and often parked herself on the room's couch. I was please the room was equipped with an especially deep tub, and Mom and I both enjoyed nibbling on food on our own balcony. Since the room didn't have air conditioning, we left the balcony door open at night/in the morning. Room service is available, but if the food wasn't expensive enough, there is also a $4 delivery fee and 20-something percent gratuity charge, so we chose to forgo room service. The front desk can be contact by phone to bring up things like toilet paper, etc, including unlimited complimentary Dasani bottled water.

The last thing I'd like to bring up- I experienced something of a culture shock. I am used to a more casual and friendly culture. The culture of The Peaks, of the Telluride area in general, is a bit more cool and reserved, even coming across as pretentious. I wouldn't blame anyone for this, the reserved nature might even be praised amongst typical clientele, but this is a characteristic to be aware of if you tend to prefer a more gregarious and open way of life.

We won't book through price line again, we probably won't be back anytime soon, but I am confident quite a few people will enjoy a stay at the Peaks Resort. At the end of the day, my Mom and I are glad we took this trip.

Dear KitatheEngineer,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Peaks Resort! I am glad that despite your poor Priceline booking experience you had a positive stay with us. We always encourage our guests to book directly with our friendly and knowledgeable reservations staff who are located on property and take great pride in making the reservations experience easy, informative, and accurate. We hope to see you back again soon and remember to contact us directly for repeat guest special offers. Thanks again!
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in Telluride and stayed at the Peaks. We had a room on the West side.....great views! The rooms are well furnished and very comfortable. The hotel has so much to offer for everyone (pool, spa, fitness center, game room, dining, etc.) and the staff is very friendly/welcoming! I would definitely return to visit the Peaks again.

Room Tip: request a "sunset" room