“Great location, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peaks Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Peaks Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Peaks Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   136 Country Club Dr., PO Box 2702, Telluride, CO 81435   |
Ranked #11 of 18 hotels in Telluride
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. My room was large, very clean and well appointed with a nice sized fridge, a safe, plenty of storage, and a (usually) reliable wifi connection. The ski valet was very convenient, and the guys who worked there were a pleasure! The lobby was also lovely and had a fantastic view. All of the staff I encountered, from the front desk to housekeeping, were very friendly and professional.

The few criticisms are mostly minor: my room was really loud as it was next to the housekeeping closet, and also because it was on the third floor tier overlooking the lobby. All the noise from the lobby travelled up to my door, and at times it was hard to sleep because it was so loud. Also, the bed was unbearably soft and lumpy and needs to be flipped or replaced or something. In fairness, I never complained to the hotel about this, and so didn't give them a chance to fix this.

I would stay here again, and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the third floor and any sounds from the lobby resonated up the center of the b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
dciani, General Manager at Peaks Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear caroline c,
Thank you for your review. The Peaks is blessed to have such as friendly and helpful staff and I'm glad that you loved your room, our WiFi, and the ski valet. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Please remeber to contact us directly to make your next reservations as we can be sure to put you in one of our quietest rooms and also offer you the best specials and packages. Thanks again!

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Farmingdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just stayed for a couple of days here - staff was great and helpful, location is fantastic - right on the trail - super easy to get on and off the trail, close to all facilities, ski rental on site, great spa, good food, rooms nice and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear gmosho,
Thank you for your review. I thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and loved our staff, great ski-in/ski-out location, spa, rooms, and food! We hope to see you back soon, thanks again!
Antonito, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited this hotel in the fall, and it was beautiful. The setting was on the side of a mountain in the trees. There were walking paths and a golf course nearby. Even though the hotel was not in walking distance to downtown, there was a gondola that was easy to find, easy to ride, and put me only a couple of blocks from the Sheridan Opera House. And it was free. I didn't eat any meals at the hotel but there was a nice bar and cafe that many of my colleagues said was very good. The room was spacious and luxurious and the bathroom was huge with both an oversize shower and oversize tub. The counter in the bathroom had lights underneath so walking the bathroom in the middle of the night was not a hazardous affair. The cost was good for this time of year and there was required valet parking, which makes sense in this location. I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I didn't have a room with a balcony, but I recommend asking for one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear JaySWarner,
Thank you for your review. The Fall is an amazing time to visit Telluride and the Peaks. The Fall colors are some of the best in all of Colorado. And you're right, the free gondola, which is the only of it's kind in North America, is an easy and scenic commute to connect the resort with old downtown Telluride. We hope to see you back soon and thank you for your review!
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just came back from a conference at this hotel. Look...if you are used to the best of the best, you will not be happy here; however, if you are with a group or you have young children and just want a good value place to lay your skis, then you might like this hotel. There are some very rough edges to this hotel in terms of maintenance and the walls are THIN. I felt like I was in a tent for I could hear the children in the room next to me and what they were watching on TV. My husband called it the sex test! I stayed in this hotel in its golden age when it first opened and it has morphed into a very conference like atmosphere now. There is a good indoor lap pool and looks like a good outdoor pool in case you go in the summer.There are million dollar views to the rooms but make sure you request either a valley/airport view or one looking towards the mountains of town; otherwise you could be looking at million dollar condos. The bed was fair. The staff is very nice and trying to accommodate our issues. To me, the hotel has a medical facility contemporary architecture to it (sorry to say) and they have had serious plumbing issues this winter due to freezing pipes. It is one of those hotels that smells like the pool throughout the building. If that doesn't bother you, then
you will be okay. To be nice, there is an incredible view from the hotel lobby. I also have to say that from my experience in Mountain Village, I am not sure what your alternatives are at this time.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear beta A,
Thank you for your honest review. I'm so sorry to hear that you are jaded in ski country. Having lived in Colorado for over a decade I simply love all the mountain resort towns and historic mining communities. I am glad that you loved the view as it is one of the best anywhere in the world, and you're right: it is absolutely worth the additional amount for a Sunset view which faces west toward Mt. Wilson and the airport. I apologize that you heard noisy children next door and it disrupted your experience, but I can assure you that they are the same walls since the hotel was built. Although there was a frozen pipe due to over 30 below temperatures during an unusually cold event we're happy to annouce that everything has been fixed and is back in order. Despite your feelings we really hope that you look to visit the Peaks again, and if so, please contact us directly. Thanks again!
Altadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I didn't stay at this resort because it was booked but did take a tour of a sunset vista room with a view, had a few services done at their spa, bought some coffee and snacks at their lift cafe, and had dinner at their restaurant. The room is beautifully done with natural and dark brown colors, nice furniture, and the bathroom is huge with a separate tub and glass shower. There is a small safe in the closet that is reachable (unlike some hotels where it's too high up on a shelf) and a small frig. The view is truly amazing of the many mountains and peaks. They have a large outdoor pool. The lobby has a large fireplace several sofas and arm chairs facing the large windows with a view of the outdoors. The concierge desk was loaded with current newspaper printouts. Their spa is huge, on two floors. I had a manicure and pedicure done. They have a gift shop and large area to put on ski equipment. Ski valet to help you get started and ski down to a lift. Ski school for kids is near the hotel and lift. Hotel is walking distance to the heart of the mountain village of shops, restaurants, and gondolas. All staff within the hotel were friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lebanon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Nashville TN Ski Club stayed at The Peaks (29 people) for a week. We would definitely return.

High points:
1. The manager, Alan Palmer, who personally saw to us each and every day.
2. Ski-in/Ski-out: The best we have ever had. The ski valet and ski and boot storage were fantastic. The gentlemen knew you after the first day. Your boots would be ready and while you were putting on your boots, your skis were placed outside ready to step in and ski off. On the return from your day's adventure, they were there to release your bindings and help you with your skis and boots.
3. Legends Breakfast Buffet: Betsy & Sammy were the best!!!! Excellent service plus great food.
4. The Palmyra: we were only able to schedule one dinner there, but it was excellent and we had personal service from the chef. Price, food and service were the best.
5. Front desk for check-in and check out and help during our stay were extremely accommodating!!!!
6. Conceirge and bellman staff were very friendly and helpful at all times.
7. The Spa: I only visited the hot tub and steam room, but both were great. I did have participants that had massages and they were very happy.

You won't be sorry if you chose to stay at The Peaks!!!! Your vacation will be wonderful and relaxing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Peaks Resort and Spa is a wonderful older property that has a lot of good traits but still has work to do in some areas. As I understand it the hotel changed hands a few years ago and is in the process of being revitalized. My week-long stay there gave me the chance to see several sides of it.

There are lots of good things about the hotel & spa. The room is large enough for two king beds which were very comfortable; there were also rooms with one king bed that had a sofa. There are two large windows that open and a third smaller window which can also open - though in my room it seemed to be painted shut as we never were able to get it open. There's a large flat-screen TV mounted on the wall opposite the beds and a built-in Blue-Ray player. The closet (and some rooms have 2 closets) contained a mini-fridge and a safe that was large enough for a laptop. Some rooms had an iron and ironing board provided. Bathrobes were provided and slippers were available on request. The room also came with a ceiling fan and a coffee maker. Bottles of water were complimentary and replenished each day. As Telluride is a high-altitude resort, these bottles were greatly appreciated. Our room had 6 hooks in the entryway which was great for hanging our ski outfits without taking up closet space. There were three large drawers though a fourth would have been nice since there were 2 people in the room. Since the room sleeps four, 4 drawers would be ideal.

Wi-fi was free and reasonably fast though we visited during a non-busy period and it might slow down with higher demand. I did notice it was slower around bedtime when (I assume) it was in higher use.

The bathroom was quite large and had a double sink with a high counter and the mirror stretched the full length. There was also a magnifying make-up mirror provided. The bathtub was separate from the shower stall. I loved that the shower stall had a built-in bench. (I think most shower stall designers have no idea how hard it is to shave your legs in a shower stall without anything to prop your leg on!) The water pressure was good and we did not have a problem running out of hot water. I do wish the toilet had had a complete cover. After hearing ads about how far toilet water sprays when it's flushed I really want my toilet covered!

The spa was terrific. On one level was an indoor/outdoor pool and three hot tubs (one outdoor, two indoors). The pool had a 1-story water slide which was great fun even for adults. There is also a unisex sauna and a unisex steam room at the pool level.

One half level up was the lap pool. I did not test this out personally though I did see people in it most every day of my stay.

A half level up from the lap pool was the fitness level. There were three separate rooms: one for cardio, one that seemed to be used for spinning classes and a third for weights. I used the cardio room almost every morning and the weight room was great for helping me stretch before skiing.

On the main level of the spa were locker rooms and gender-specific steam rooms, saunas and roman baths. I found the steam room very helpful as I'm not used to the dry mountain air. Towels, bath robes and slippers were all in abundant supply.

One level up from the spa reception desk was the treatment areas for massages, facials, etc. I had a 90-minute Mountain Salvation massage and, though it was pricey, felt absolutely wonderful.

The main level of the hotel contains the reception desk (and the staff was wonderful), the great room - basically a large seating area with a fireplace - and the Palmyra bar/restaurant. It was a very convenient place for my group to gather before going out for dinner.

Down one level was the Legends Restaurant, where the optional breakfast buffet is served. The staff there is so friendly and after just a few days they knew which of our group wanted coffee and which preferred water in the mornings.

At the bottom level was the ski-in/ski-out area, complete with ski check, rental shop and a branch of Telluride Sports. I only used the ski check but the guys there were great and once we picked up our boots they'd radio the guys outside who'd have our skis & poles waiting for us to click in. When we returned in the afternoon they'd even step on our bindings to help us out of our skis! I will really miss them on my next trip.

There are some things that can be improved. I realize the buildings are not new and there are two separate towers joined by a central elevator lobby. When we arrived mid-afternoon the building was extremely warm. The hallways were even hot and the rooms quite warm. We opened up the windows to try to get some cool air in. Keep in mind the temperature was in the upper 20s Farenheit. The room simply would not cool down, even after maintenance finally got the hallways and central areas cooler. We kept the windows open for 5 straight days - even though the temperature was going down below 0F at night and barely getting above 10F during the day. Our room finally cooled down very well on our 6th day and we kept the windows shut. However, I'm aware of other rooms in the other wing where the residents kept the ceiling fan on and the windows open for their entire stay and the temperature never cooled off. Having temperatures in the mid-70sF is ok during the day but most people I know prefer a cool room at night and our whole group had a tough time sleeping the first few nights because of the heat.

The first morning we had breakfast in the Legends it was quite warm. The next two days it was cold. Finally they got the temperature regulated for the rest of our stay. A little frustrating for awhile as we had to dress in layers for breakfast!

There are three elevator cars for general use but only one was in operation during our stay. It wasn't a huge deal as we never had to wait very long but it's certainly something that can be improved.

Another small thing is the linens. The sheets seemed fine but several of the towels I used both in the room and in the spa had frayed/torn edges. There's a line between keeping a towel in use because 99% of it is still good and taking a towel out of service because it does not reflect the image you want your hotel to reflect. I'm not sure where that line is but it was a bit disappointing to see. I had similar issues with some of the robes: the edges were frayed or some of the belt loops were ripped. Again, not huge deals but especially in the case of the belt loops it's something that could be fixed with little effort.

I loved the high counters in the bathroom but there was no storage space other than on top of the counter. Some sort of medicine cabinet or even a couple of small sets of shelves (one for each sink) would be a great addition. Under sink storage would be nice too though because the counter was so high I was able to store my luggage under the sink which made for more room in the bed area.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely. I'm sure we'll be back in Telluride within the next 5 years and I hope by then the gem I can see beneath the surface is shining brightly by then.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Peaks Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!