“Nuevo Mexican” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 71 Restaurants in Telluride
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegetarian, Vegan
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: La Cocina de Luz is a counter service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with whole foods/organic style Mexican cuisine. We also provide margaritas, beer and wine, fresh juices, full espresso/coffee service and handmade ice cream. The ambience is casual, festive and family friendly. We have a large patio with gardens and fountains that we share with Caravan middle eastern foods. We accept visa and mastercard!
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nuevo Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

No frills, cafeteria-like atmosphere but good, fresh food! Tasty Mexican-style food is not traditional Mex, but a welcome change. Always fresh tasting and daily specials. A bit over-priced, but we eat there every time were in town.

Visited December 2012

Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
“Great post-hike meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I came here with my husband and his friend after spending 3 days in Navajo Basin hiking 3 14ers, so needless to say we were really looking forward to some good food. This place did not disappoint. We all ordered their steak burrito and the ingredients tasted very fresh and homemade. The free chips and salsa was a great touch as well.

I'm deducting a star because the lady that took our order at the counter was rude and impatient. We were having trouble with the confusing menu due to the variety of ways you could order the sides and meat and she was noticeably annoyed. Due to the order style of the place you don't have much time to really read the menu either. 2 steak burritos and a drink came to $37.50, which is extremely overpriced, however worth it for the hungry state we were in. I also had some of their homemade ice cream and while the flavor was delicious the texture of both peanut butter and chocolate was grainy and I'm not sure why.

All in all, this place is great if you're looking for fresh, quality ingredients and good portion sizes as long as you don't mind the price.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dillon, Colorado
“Everything lacking except the chips and salsas”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We went here for breakfast on a Sunday morning, mainly because one of our friends had been here numerous times and said how good it was. We ordered at the counter individually and the woman taking the orders was very unfriendly and basically rude. My friend ahead of me ordered an ice coffee and her response was, "coffees over there". No pointing, no i'll grab you a glass of ice, nothing, so she ended up just drinking the serve yourself hot coffee. I ordered the breakfast burrito with bacon and ice tea. First, when there is an option to add bacon to a breakfast burrito, I assume its going to be inside of the burrito, not served on the side. Bad assumption here! Secondly, the burrito comes with choice of red or green chile, I asked for half and half i.e. Christmas style, which is very common in the southwest. Well it seems that they charge extra for this, even though you don't get extra chile. When the burrito arrived at the table, it looked delicious, served with beans and home fries and three pieces of bacon on the side. But when I cut into it, it was empty. It seemed like they took two tortillas, one scrambled egg and a tiny bit of cheese and made a large burrito out of it. And neither chile was that good to compensate for the lack of filling inside the burrito. The red chile tasted like it was out of a can. The best part was the bacon. All four of us were pretty disappointed with our breakfast and everyone said it was lacking in seasoning and flavor, which is sad because the chips and salsas were so good, especially the green salsa. My breakfast cost $17 for a horrible burrito and an ice tea, I definitely felt ripped off. I don't know if they do this purposely over festival weekends because they don't care or if the food quality has slipped recently, but whatever it is, I won't be back here again!! The only reason I gave the food an average rating is for the chips and salsas.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Complimentary chips and salsa for breakfast? Yes Please....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went to La Cocina twice in the past month, and both of the experiences were awesome. The first time, I had Migas, which is a mashup of nacho chips, beans, sauces, green chiles, eggs, cheese....and I am sure I am forgetting something--it's like nachos for breakfast. The second time was their special--Carne Asada (grilled flank steak) with beans and rice and a HUGE flour tortilla. The steak was grilled with green chiles--divine, and perfectly seasoned. Oh yeah--did I mention the chips and salsa bar that is open at 8 in the morning? Try the red salsa for a good kick, and if you want to hurt yourself, try the habanero mango sauce--killer. Thank you for a wonderful breakfast experience--I will be back again and again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Semi-mexican food. We ordered burritos of different sorts. The food tasted very fresh and you received plenty as far as portions go. They have a chips and salsa bar so you can help yourself to that while you are waiting for your food. They have homemade ice cream however we never got to try any as they were in the process of making it while we were there.

Visited June 2013