“One of the Most Breathtaking Places I've Been - Bon Vivant at Telluride” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bon Vivant at Telluride

Bon Vivant at Telluride
Polar Queen Express Lift (5), Telluride Ski Resort, Telluride, CO
970.728.6900
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 67 Restaurants in Telluride
Cuisines: French
Description: Located at 11,000+ feet at the top of the Polar Queen Express (5), Bon Vivant is an experience unique to North America.Views from the massive new deck are rivaled only by the 39 ft umbrella, and the menu features classic country French cuisine, top wines, and ski country’s best crepes and hand crafted hot chocolates.
Palm Beach, Florida
“One of the Most Breathtaking Places I've Been - Bon Vivant at Telluride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My mother always called me a "bon vivant." I guess she was right.

bon vivant - /bän-vē-vänt, bōⁿ-vē-väⁿ/ n. a person who enjoys the good things in life, especially good food and drink.

Guilty. When my son and I first came off of the #5 Lift on our first full day of snowboarding in Telluride, I really felt like I was in a movie scene. At about 11,000 feet above sea level and surrounded by giant mountain peaks in every direction, this mountain top would be breathtaking if there were nothing at the top except the trail map. But 50 yards away from the lift, lies an oasis that seems like a mirage.

Bon Vivant is a huge open air patio set up in middle of the snowy plateau. The giant deck is enclosed and features a big circular wooden bar that features buckets of Belgian beers and dozens of bottles of fine wine sitting in crushed ice and waiters bustling around dressed up in grey wool vests and fancy hats, giving a very European "Alps" vibe to the place.

This "restaurant" sits impossibly in a place that is normally below 30 degrees in the winter but also has very bright sunshine on some days. Bon Vivant accomodates both extremes with space heaters everywhere that create a perfect temperature anywhere you sit and when the sun is too bright, they open a massive, 40-foot umbrella unlike any you've seen at any hotel.

We just stopped for a hot chocolate and a bathroom break but the minute you walk under the wooden archway and onto the deck, you realize you're not leaving right away. The menu features classic country French cuisine, hand made crepes made on demand (with Nutella, or berries or cinnamon) and the best hot chocolate you've ever had.

My son opted for a hot chocolate and I had a La Chouffe Belgian beer. Across the bar, we spotted actor Dennis Quaid who we of course did not disturb, but the sighting fueled the feeling that we were in a really special place. My wife and daughter are not usually mountain top skiiers but I insisted they had to see this place. So we returned the next day and the four of us enjoyed crepes, delicious french onion soup and a cheese platter. Where are we?

The combination of an amazing restaurant with great food, exceptional service and a location like nothing else in the world makes this a bucket list stop. Get to Telluride. Take the #4 lift to the #5 lift and go to Bon Vivant. Sit at the edge of the deck by the glass facing the best view (they're all good). Don't leave without having a hot chocolate and a crepe.

Oh, and use the bathrooms in the adjacent "cabin". You haven't seen bathrooms this clean and awesome anywhere, much less in a cabin sitting 2 miles up the mountains.

Dallas, Texas
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife proclaimed this the most romantic lunch she has ever had. If you are considering this then you are already familiar with the beauty of Telluride (it's halfway up the mountain), but add some french onion soup and a fresh berry and cream crepe and you have a perfect accompaniment to the some of the most geourgeous views on the planet. Great service and food- all at a very reasonable price. Don't miss this experience on a clear day.

Windom, Minnesota
“Fun dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had crepes and a glass of wine, both were wonderful . Beautiful view from this ski in mountain restaurant .Service was excellent, good and knowledgeable servers.

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Best Mountain Top Dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I were lucky to be the very last table of the season at this remarkable restaurant. They unfortunately had to close early due to the incoming weather. True to the French dining experience, we enjoyed all the ambience of open-air-mountain dining with heaters surrounding. The "garçon" brought us a wonderful Brunch including French Pressed coffee, Savory Mushroom soup topped with puffed croissant bread and a Spinach, gruyere cheese quiche with a simple fresh greens salad. Oh, AND we got all this on their brunch early bird discount!
We really didn't want to leave!

• Visited April 2013
Dallas
“Good location with a decent view, average food, no value”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was the second time we tried Bon Vivant - one was on our previous Spring Break trip a year ago. Both times left us dissapointed.
This time we had the French onion soup, which was the highlight of the meal. Certainly not the best I have had, but it was not overly salty or heavy on bread or cheese, as it often is. It had a nice balance and the only thing to complain about was that the onion in the soup was stil crisp, making me wonder if it was added to the soup after the soup was actually cooked.
We also had crepes with fruit, which was good and served quickly - the crepes are actually done at the bar where the seating is, not in the kitchen, which is located in a building 50 feet away.
The other two dishes were the foie gras and quiche lorraine. Now, it is impossible to mess up foie gras, the only way to do this is to mix it with other ingredients that are not that good. This was the case here. The duck confit it was served with was quite a bit oversalted and simply lacking flavor, the toasted bread and a bit of spinach salad simply did not fit well with the foie gras and left me scratching my head trying to figure out what the chef had in mind with this combination. Quiche lorraine was good, but there were only trace amounts of ham in it, so it was rather a different take on the French staple. It was a bit heavy, too and left my wife feeling a bit uncomfortable.
Portions were rather small and we were charged $5 a bottle of Aquafina water (called Avon on our bill...) - we were given two as there was no other option for water available.
In short - if you chose to dine there, the best value options are the French onion soup and the crepes. Shelving out almost $30 for a small piece of foie gras and bread was not a good deal at all. I had to take the points off for service due to the exurbant water prices and the servers pushing it without consideration for the value to the customer. Service was also rather slow with the exception of the crepes.

• Visited March 2013