“Now That's On-Mountain Dining!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 66 Restaurants in Telluride
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Originally a private retreat built on a historic mining claim, this new addition to Telluride’s award-winning restaurants is a quaint European hütte perched near the top of Gold Hill.With hand-hewn beams and furniture crafted from reclaimed wine barrels, Alpino Vino provides a high alpine ambience and is reminiscent of restaurants found throughout the Dolomites of Northern Italy. Inside, a warm and inviting atmosphere, complete with a wood burning fireplace, stone floors and exposed wood beams, provides a perfect retreat from the slopes.Situated at 11,966’, Alpino Vino offers fantastic views of the Wilson Range. The expansive multi-tiered deck is a truly unique spot to enjoy a glass of wine with its European teak furniture, coveted daybed and comfortable sheepskin throws. An outdoor wine bar offers a spectacular setting for a midday escape.To visit Alpino Vino during the ski season, take Gold Hill Express (Lift 14) and turn left off the lift to ski down See Forever to our front door.Come enjoy the unique experience that is Alpino Vino!
Phoenix, Arizona
“Now That's On-Mountain Dining!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Let's face it, usually on-mountain dining consists of chili, or BBQ, or some kind of sandwich/pizza deal.

This was awesome.

First thing--the only way to get here is to ski to it. So those in your party that want to meet you for lunch by taking the Gondola--they are going to have to go elsewhere. And those that only ski greens...see ya some other time.

This place is a tiny cabin...but cozy and charming.

The soup is a must--tomato and Gorgonzola. She had the pasta which was made fresh and fantastic and I had a prosciutto and arugala sandwich which was good.

This is my favorite wine bar in the country. Depending on the weather, sitting outside on the deck with your lunch and wine may very well be the best option. Wear sunscreen though!

The server was friendly and clearly has had experience in fine dining.

This place is worth the money...IMO.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

PHILADELPHIA
“Spectacular in every way! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

One of the most memorable meals ever. I went there with three ski buddies for lunch and I'm not sure how interested they were to go, but did they love it!

It took some figuring to get there on skis since none if us had ever been to Telluride, but the view on the ridge coming down to it was breathtaking. I've skied all over the west, but the views here rival anything I've ever seen... Even in the Alps.

The excellent meat and cheese plate would have been enough for four hungry men, but we didn't want to leave so kept ordering .

Loved the tomato soup too.

Food negatives ? Slightly disappointed in the grilled cheese I'd heard so much about. I guess I expected some more gooey cheese to run out and a little less pepper/pine nutty spread... I feel grilled cheese is comfort food and best kept simple and cheesy without so many spices. Frankly the pine nuts and pestos were everywhere and a bit excessive, esp on the Caprese salad.

First class waiter (Andrew ) and wine too .

I'd plan to come back here with my wife next time for a romantic dinner .
We thought this would be the best first date place EVER.

Not cheap, but what is at Telluride esp having to carry it up 12,000 feet . Bravo !

“A fantastic and unique mountain experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Unbelievable vistas, great menu and service and fabulous ingredients. As memorable a meal as we had in Telluride but bring your wallet!

Visited January 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Truly and experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We loved the service and the food. While a little pricey (we spent $460 for two people), we thought the experience was really enjoyable. The staff was attentive and the food was really good. We are foodies and recently ate at Joel Robuchon in Vegas so I like to think we have decent taste in food. I would say go for the experience and the service. The food is quite good and worth it too!

Visited January 2014
Los Altos Hills, California
“The snow cat is the best part”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The best part of dining at Alpino Vino was the snow cat ride on the side of the steep, snowy mountain. We went with a party of eight and ordered the wine paring with the meal, which is pre-fixe. Had the food been delivered hot, it might have been delicious--the soup was.

The vegetarian at our table was given a small salad as her main course while everyone else ate Elk. It was 18 degrees fahrenheit--not exactly salad weather--and a cost of $185.00 per person, c'mon!

The wine was disappointing. Our waiter, a nice young man, attempted to steer us away from the wine paring but it seemed simpler with such a large group.

The interior is lovely; the trip to the heated outdoor bathroom was fun; the staff was friendly and I'm sure the chef is excellent as is claimed by his reputation. Unfortunately, the parts didn't add up to a whole.

Glad I went once; won't go back.

• Visited December 2013