“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
PA
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had a very nice stay at this hotel and would recommend it. The rooms were great, quiet and clean, loved the bed very comfortable; bathroom was nice with two sinks, large walk-in shower and large tub. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only downside was parking and pricey breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Todd G, Director of Sales at Hotel Madeline, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thanks so much for selecting the Hotel Madeline for your Telluride experience. Hope you can come back soon.

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We visited in early October which is off season. As a result it felt like we were the only guests in this beautiful hotel. We stayed for two nights using the gondola down to town. Located one block from the hotel, this ride is free and provides a magnificent vista. Service at the hotel from the monument we arrived thru checkout was superb. Would highly recommend to family and friends. Pool and steam room allow for a relaxing afternoon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
The gondola is a spectacular addition to the Hotel Madeline experience. Things wouldn't be quite the same without it, and the vistas are extraordinary. Thanks so much for staying with us!
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I'll start by saying we are pretty low maintenance guests. We usually don't utilize most of the services offered. That being said, the rooms were large and had great upgraded features. Very quiet rooms and option for blackout curtains if you want to sleep in. The beds were very comfy too. The mountain village was a little empty due to off season, but the free gondola was just outside and was a gorgeous ride down to telluride!

• Stayed October 2013
thanks so much for sharing your feedback. Glad you enjoyed the rooms, and please come back and see us again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is very over-rated, especially by the smug front desk employees. It is a nicely finished building, but poorly laid out. My room was miles from the front desk. The bathroom, while mostly luxurious, included a handheld shower that kept crashing to the floor due to a loose bracket. Had it landed on my foot, it would have broken a toe. Surprise!

There is a ridiculous light-switch type Privacy mechanism that no one pointed out or explained, resulting in no maid service my first day there. When I requested fresh towels after discovering this, I got towels that were still wet the next morning when I went to use them. Surprise!

The bedroom was the darkest, worst lit room I've ever stayed in, and each light had to be turned on or off manually. No lights were operable from the light switch. Surprise! I was forced to go down to the "great room" to read. The chairs in the room weren't comfortable, either.

The restaurant was "closed" when I arrived and wanted dinner at 8:30 pm, although the literature says they're open until 9 pm. Surprise! That didn't stop half a dozen employees from hanging out at the bar inside the restaurant and making a huge racket. They apparently think of it as one of their basements. It was loud enough to be bothersome around the corner and down the hall in the great room, which isn't all that great.

But the first surprise was when I checked in and they told me there was a $25 parking fee. I never did figure out if that was per day or per stay. I was told it would be waived if I took their survey. They probably wish I didn't. And as a nice going away present, I was notified that I would be charged a $25 "resort fee", despite having had better stays at Econolodge. Surprise!

The young man working as the valet was excellent, but that should not be the high point of a stay at a luxury hotel. The "finishes" (marble bath, mattress, sheets, TV) were mostly high quality, but this is not a service oriented hotel, and thus does not deserve to be in the luxury category. This is a case of putting a pretty dress on a pig; it's still a pig.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Todd G, Director of Sales at Hotel Madeline, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thanks so much for providing us with the opportunity to host you during your visit to Telluride. Sounds like your overall experience was a positive one, but we were dissappointed to hear that the Hotel Madeline fell short of expectations. Hopefully you will return to Telluride for another experience in the future.
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I happened upon Hotel Madeline for my first venture to Telluride and was surprised with a satisfaction of equivalent to childhood merriment. From the instant we pulled into their terrace, was warmly greeted by staff, I knew this was a 5-star establishment. This point was proven repeatedly through the stay with responsive room accommodation requests, helpful staff, and an air of solid comfort, Furthermore, it's location in the center of "town" was superb plus its brief walk to the gondola was perfect. Akin to the miners of Telluride's past, I've claimed my gem and it's Hotel Madeline.

*authors note. yes, I'm aware gems were not mined there.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with a king mattress.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying with us and your kind feedback. We hope youw ill find another opportunity to make a trip back to Telluride. Would be delighted to have you.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My stay at Hotel Madeline was nice, nothing overly extraordinary in my opinion. My room lacked a desk or place to eat which I found annoying since I was traveling for business. The room was nice but housekeeping came very late in the day and one day I even had to call around 4:30 PM to have them clean my room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Todd G, Director of Sales at Hotel Madeline, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Do you travel to Telluride often for business? It would be my pleasure to host you for breakfast during your next visit, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to have you at Hotel Madeline once again. Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, and i'm sorry to hear that your experience fell short of impressive. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help make your experience more enjoyable. Thanks for selecting the Hotel Madeline.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We enjoyed our long weekend stay at HM. The hotel was nicely appointed and the room size/quality was excellent (we had a King/Deluxe room). The room was very quiet (well soundproofed) and maintained by the staff. Desk and restaurant staff were professional, yet very friendly.

Our only "complaint" was the very high price of a meal at the the SmaK bar. 2 burgers and 4 glass of wine brought our total to $100.00 (including tip). We were in NYC about 3 weekends earlier and paid less for a comparable meal just off the Park. Food quality was high, though, so I guess we left satisfied--just surprised by the cost.

However, the above is a "nit" and we'd stay at HM again! Great property with fantastic views, service and quality!

P.S. Someone else has mentioned the FREE gondola--it was fantastic! I'd pay for it gladly. It convenient and timely, and saved having to haul the car out to go downtown. Best of all, the views were incredible!!

Room Tip: If you can get an east or south view, you'll get a spectacular view of the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for staying with us at the Hotel Madeline. We hope to have you back.

Been to Hotel Madeline? Share your experiences!