“Film Festival” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Film Festival”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Went to Telluride Film Festival over labor day weekend. Hotel Madeline (actually in Mountain Village above Telluride) is a great property. Beautiful inside, beautiful outside. Too busy with festival and all those films to enjoy the spa, etc. Restaurant 'Rev' has super food, great service, different wine list (converted me back to Chardonnay.) Free gondolas from hotel into Telluride. Telluride is a real, small village with sidewalks and streets; Mountain Village is a pedestrian resort property. Would have enjoyed it more if I had been more comfortable in the altitude.

Room Tip: Had a hard time getting a room with two beds. Had to settle for a jr. suite to get bed and pull out...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had a wonderful meal in the evening. Everything was topnotch, imaginative, and cleverly and beautifully presented from the scandalously red gazpacho (poured from a silver pitcher) to the "bakers dozen" tasting desert. The Chef appeared regularly bringing yet another dish that he couldn't wait for us to taste. Even the young and new servers were knowledgeable about the food and wine. Prices are justified by the high quality of service and food. This was a fun evening...I love chefs who are excited about pleasing new customers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Helmsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Hotel Madeline has relatively new owners. So, being residents of Mountain Village, we wanted to support the Hotel's restaurants. We have had dinner at the restaurant and the bar. Bothe were very good, and it appeared they had finally improved their service, which has been widely known as slow and slower. This morning, we had breakfast....slower. The eggs benedict, the hollandaise sauce came out like a gelatin. But the biggest complaint, one half hour after having breakfast, we both needed to move at break neck speed to find a restroom. We both have queasy stomachs. So that is it, never again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Madeline Hotel and Residences, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Mr. John T.,
So sorry to hear about your negative breakfast experience John. To read “that is it, never again” was certainly painful, but I myself would have felt exactly the same way you did if that would have happened to me. I would be grateful if you could contact me at plaguens@hotelmadelinetelluride.com to discuss the possibility of redeeming ourselves with you and your family. I assure you we are taking swift action to rectify the situation and stop its re-occurrence. I was at least happy to hear you enjoyed your visits to the REV Restaurant and SMAK Bar and truly believe that your experiences there are more indicative of the direction our property is taking. Thank you so much for your feedback. It is an invaluable piece in our effort to improve.

Sincerely, Patrick Laguens
Director of Food & Beverage
Auburn, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just returned from a week at Hotel Madeline. The other reviewers are spot-on with their praise of the hotel staff. I've never experienced such personalized service. When the arrived they knew we were coming and greeted us by name, and several were quick to with us a "Happy Anniversary" before we even had talked to them. I can honestly say for the whole week we never experienced a single staff member who was rude in any way (even hinting at grumpy - they were just spectacular). The location is pretty nice - the views are good but you'll not get any views of the Telluride box canyon area from this area - nonetheless, the views of other mountains in the area is nice and the sunsets were fun to see each night. The rooms in my opinion were a bit smallish but the appointments were top-notch and very very clean. The bed was as cozy as any I've been in and the bathrooms are very nice with a separate shower and tub as well as even separate smaller room for the toilet. We had a king deluxe room, the balcony was small - just enough for a small round table and two chairs but nice to relax on in the evenings. My only complaints (and complaint is too strong of a word, really) is that you couldn't get your own ice (call the desk, have it delivered.... yet someone else to tip), the room lighting made reading at night a little tough but that's just a preference thing, and the parking - $30/night? seriously? It's not like we're in the big city, That being said, the valets were so kind and helpful and always quick to open doors, hold out umbrellas and offer advice. Overall, we'd definitely stay there again when we return to Telluride. The drive into town was an easy 10 minutes, and if you don't have a car, the gondola is free and just around the corner. There are some restaurants there in the mountain village that you can get light breakfast/coffee, and dinner at (good pizza, especially), but plenty of spots in town as well.

Room Tip: the higher up you are the better your view will be
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Hotel Madeline was a beautiful property, but that is not why I will be back this winter. This property is truly definined by the people. They offer highly personalized service with a friendly and often southern flare.
The bellman on the drive was eagerly awaiting my arrival. He was friendly and charming! He escorted me to the front desk where a eloquent southern woman greeted me by name. She knew that i had a rough flight into the Telluride airport.....not sure how....she must have had connections at the airport. She offered me a bottle of water and advil. Nice touch! She then excorted me to the room pointing out everything I wanted to know on our way up. She had a map in hand and after a great room tour she pointed out the location of each of the restaurants that I booked with the concierge earlier in the week.
When we went to the chop house the first night, there was a note from the concierge team of Hotel Madeline suggesting the Elk and welcoming me to the town of telluride. I had the Elk and it was delicious! The concierge and front desk staff seem seemless! I found myself congregating in the lobby for recommendations each morning!
You guys have hit the nail on the head! Perfect Telluride elegance with the friendliest staff I have encountered in Colorado!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Easton, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Great location!
Great service!
Very clean!
Very reasonable

Room Tip: Mountain View of course!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I'll start by saying we stayed mid-week out of season so got an excellent price, I imagine it's alot more expensive in peak ski season. It was quiet; the staff seemed to outnumber the guests! The rooms are beautiful, luxurious and comfortable and the bathroom was outstanding - I took photos to show friends! It's only a few minutes walk to the gondola to Telluride - a wonderful way to go out to eat in the evening and have a wonderful view en route. There were lots of nice little touches like the iced tea and apples in reception and the turn-down service but what I liked the most was that it was luxury without being over the top or pretencious. I don't often stay in luxury hotels and when I have I always felt a bit like some of them try too hard but this was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Madeline Hotel and Residences? Share your experiences!