“Ok, felt like a dorm room, though.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Mountainside Inn to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 South Davis St., Telluride, CO 81435   |
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Telluride
Loveland, Colorado
“Ok, felt like a dorm room, though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The positives.

We rented in August of this year. The location was great, and it's very close to everything - including the Grocery store, Gondola, and restaurants. The room was fairly clean, and the grounds well kept. Plenty of parking and a bike trail is right behind the property. The front desk girl was very polite and helpful when we checked in.

The negatives.

If you expect to be "pampered" while you're there - that is not the aim of this place, it's VERY basic and plain. It truly needs some updating badly.

Because we typically try to rent kitchenettes while traveling to save money and cook - I was surprised at how small the kitchenette room was, but considering the price I was ok with it. It's pretty tough for a family of three to cook a full dinner in such a small space - so if you are considering the lower cost kitchenette - be sure to bring things that don't need a whole lot of help to get prepared. There is also a grill outside that we missed until after we cooked steak in our room.

After hiking and walking A LOT all day - a soak in the hot tub sounded so very good - but, it was pretty luke-warm. Just wasn't enjoyable at all. It's HUGE, but it was not hot.

Our room's carpet was also pretty dirty, and the linoleum in the bathroom had mold under it. It was pretty discolored in a large area near the shower. We also (because we aim to own a hotel/property of our own someday) did the Anthony Melchiorri test on the picture frames and Mirrors, and there was a significant amount of dust built up on them. Ew.

The beds were VERY hard, as some others have pointed out. We didn't sleep well either night.

Also, the cleaning supplies to clean up the kitchenette area was lacking. A spray cleaner for oily messes would have been nice (Unless I missed it) and when I was washing dishes in the am before we left - all they had was a sponge and a washcloth. I ended up badly cutting my hand when a glass broke while I was washing it - so I left a few glasses behind so they could do it with a glass sponge or brush or something safer.

The hallways are very drab and reminded me of a college dorm or something. Some fresh paint, and maybe a mural or picture or two would make it feel a tad more inviting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HeatherWhtie, General Manager at Mountainside Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We are pleased that you found some positives while you were in Telluride. Mountainside Inn was constructed in the 70's shortly after the ski mountain put in our first lift. The design intent was for skiers to come, enjoy an affordable few days of outdoor fun and skiing, spending most of their time in the great out of doors that Telluride is famous for. Several years ago, Mountainside Inn was condominiumized so it functions today as an HOA that rents the units out for folks like you to continue coming to have fun. We are now in the midst of four capital improvement projects, one of which is replacement of the bath and kitchen flooring, needed subflooring and trim which looks very nice. The other improvements are installation of flat screen TV's and internet upgrades. These will be completed at the end of our off season in November. I am delighted that you, too, are a fan of Anthony Melchiorri's "Hotel Impossible". It has helped us in our business as well, and we are working with housekeeping to give attention to these details you mentioned. Thank you for your detailed and helpful review.

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at the Mountinside Inn for 2013 Telluride Bluegrass. The Inn accomodations were clean and had easy access to Town Park and everything else within a 10 minute walk. I was able to park my vehicle in town with the pass that I was given at the Inn. It was very quiet and a very peaceful walk back from the Festival at night along the Creek. If you are looking for an affordable place to stay that has everything you need (you should be spending most of you time at the Festival :-) ) then this is the place for you. The staff was helpful and being able to make coffee and breakfast in the room was handy. Baked in Telluride is just down the street if you want someone else to make breakfast for you. Overall a very good stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river would be ideal!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Well, you just rock!! Thanks and we are glad our little Inn that could was an enjoyable stay for you. The festival was particularly awesome this year and the weather did indeed "have it goin' on". Please come back anytime to share in the wonder of Telluride. It continues to awe us who have the privilege to live here every day.

Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited Telluride in July and booked a room with a kitchenette. When we arrived, we were given a room on the 1st floor with a window looking straight on the parking lot, literally 2 yards from the cars. It was not what I expected for our mountain vacation and I said so to the girl at the reception desk. She gave me a number to call the manager. The manager on the phone was really nice and very helpful: this quick call got us relocated to a room with a private mountain-side view. The room was clean and met all the basic needs, although it could use some updating. The bed was comfortable, not hard at all (maybe they've already changed mattresses in some rooms?). The kitchenette was convenient for a quick breakfast. There are two grocery stores in 5 min walking distance, so we could stock the fridge with yogurt, cheese, juice etc. I recommend Baked in Telluride for bread and pastries. The hotel location was perfect - right on the River Trail, a few blocks to Gondola and Main St. A lot of cafes/restaurants nearby. There is no daily housekeeping service (it's $16 extra if you want it), but a woman stopped by to offer us fresh towels. Telluride is a pretty expensive little town, so I feel that this inn was OK for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the parking lot. The rooms with odd numbers at Building 4 have mou...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JeanneWalker, Manager at Mountainside Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We do thank you for your kind review. Mountainside was constructed in the 1970's and was called The Coonskin Inn after the Telluride Ski run. It is a structure that has served Telluride well over the years and is still serving the town well in that it is hands down the most affordable lodging in town. We appreciate that you pointed our most prized attribute: affordability. So, you may spend your vacation dollars on all the fun and great food to be had here. Please do come back anytime and thank you for staying with us.

Ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Perfect location! We rented a 1 bedroom condo, basic, very clean. Though the beds was so rock hard(And I like firm mattresses!) that neither my husband or I could get a good night sleep. Which was awful considering we are active folks!
So, I'd have to say, I won't stay there again

Room Tip: do not get 1 bedroom condo, unless you like a really hard mattress. Be advised no AC.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JeanneWalker, Manager at Mountainside Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. And yes Mountainside Inn has a great location for both summer and winter activities.
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great place to stay for our ski trip - easy walk to chair lift, could ski-out at the end of the day, terrific hot tub, and short walk to downtown restaurants and shops. Nothing fancy but has everything you need. The front lobby doesn't open until 8:30 am but it is a short walk to near-by stores if you need coffee earlier than that. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JeanneWalker, Manager at Mountainside Inn, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We appreciate your kind review of Mountainside Inn. Our hot tub is one of the best in town operating from 10am. to 10pm.
Our location to the slopes is only a few hundred yards from the Inn. Ski in ski out could not be better coupled with our affordable prices.

Come back and see us in the summer and enjoy the festivals
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I read the reviews and decided to book a room on 2/17/13 with the attitude that I could withstand anything for one night. Having read prior complaints, I made sure to arrive between 4:30 & 5:00pm, and was pleasantly surprised with the niceness of the lobby. The young woman on duty checked me in in about 20 seconds, explained the parking situation to me and I was on my way. The room was stylish and well maintained, not overly large, but plenty of furniture and comfortable. In fact, I was really happy with the radiant baseboard heat, which produced no noise and stirred no air, but maintained a comfortable temperature.
We put our stuff in the room, walked two blocks to the gondola, and went to Mountain Village for supper. Upon returning, we found the motel to be quiet and the King bed just to my liking, on the firm side.
Next morning was no different, with an easy check process and plenty of time to get back to Mountain Village for skiing.
I consider the Mountianside Inn to be an excellent value in Telluride, and I wish that I could find such value in small town motels along the way between Austin and Telluride. For all of you folks hoping to find a $600 value in a $99 Mountainside Inn room, I would recommend that you book elsewhere.

Room Tip: My rating of Terrible on the restaurant and fitness center was accidental because there was none of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JeanneWalker, Manager at Mountainside Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We thank you for your accurate review of Mountainside Inn. We deffinately are the most affordable lodging in Telluride and not to mention the best location to the mountain for ski access.
Come back and see us soon
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My son and I spent 3 nights as our annual Ski trip. Front desk staff very friendly and great service though limited hours at desk. My son’s board arrived 1 ½ days late and manager called as soon as it arrived. Met many very friendly guests there who have been coming here for years and each spoke well of the Mountainside Inn. Our room was every thing we needed, as all we did was ski, soak in the very nice, though sometimes crowded hot tub, eat in town and sleep. While there are much nicer places in Telluride this one fitted our bill and wallet very well. No complaints- its only about 100 yards to Lift #7. Excellent coffee in lobby when open. Since we ate out we did not need kitchen facilities, but if we come with the whole clan the kitchen would be desired

Room Tip: On the northside our room had view of river and close to hot tub
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mountainside Inn does have the best location for skiiing and festivals as well as the most affordable rates in town.
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and come back and see us soon.

Been to Mountainside Inn? Share your experiences!