We stayed in Montana Placer Inn #1 over a six day period in August and were incredibly pleased with our accommodations and the support of the staff. The unit itself is well-appointed, the kitchen and bathroom are stocked with basics, and the king sized bed upstairs is covered in nice linens (you can fall asleep looking at the stars through a sky light above the bed - highly recommended). As you'll read in other reviews, the location is fantastic: a street over from Telluride's Main Street and wonderful dining options, literally STEPS from the free gondola, a street over from the small market and Baked in Telluride, and not much more than a quarter mile from the River Trail and the trail head to Bear Creek Falls. You're getting what you pay (I'd say more than what you pay for) for by staying here.
A couple of things that you should know (I can't even call these 'complaints') before staying here:
1. If you park in front of the unit on Oak Street, MOVE YOUR CAR BEFORE FRIDAY MORNING AT 8:30. A farmer's market will magically be on the sidewalk when you wake up and if your car is still present on accident at 8:45, the Telluride locals will look at you like you have just killed a small, adorable puppy in cold blood. There are signs on Oak Street regarding this, however, we parked at night on our arrival, and then were told by staff to use the side door so we missed said signs. We did get a ticket, but it was graciously waived by the woman behind the counter when she realized the situation. Parking zones are strict here; pay attention. On the bright side, the Farmer's Market is pretty awesome and it's literally right on your doorstep.
2. This wasn't a problem for us, but if you're a family staying in this unit, know that the only shower is in the downstairs bathroom. The upstairs bathroom is literally a toilet and a mirror.
3. If you're here in the summer and are planning to sleep with the windows flung open to get some of that awesome Colorado air, think twice. You're a street over from Telluride's Main Street which reportedly boasts some great night life. It's not like being in New Orleans during Mardi Gras or anything, but it can be enough to keep light sleepers up. Luckily, the staff has provided a great fan to be plugged in that makes enough white noise to drown almost all of it out (in the giant cabinets upstairs).
4. There is a strange basement room downstairs (there were no signs to indicate that it wasn't part of our unit, so were were surprised to find ourself in a workshop/utility sort of area that was able to be accessed from the exterior of the building by it's own door. The only reason this concerned us was that we were not able to lock any door in our unit except the exterior doors. We couldn't lock the door that led to the basement room and we couldn't lock the door that shut off the upstairs loft from the downstairs kitchen. What this means is that technically, the unit was insecure and could have been accessed from the exterior via the basement at any time regardless of how cautious we were with locking our front and side doors. Now, I'm sure that Telluride isn't like where we live, but as two people for whom locking doors is a habit born of necessity, it was a little concerning. We took our wallets and money upstairs with us every night instead of leaving them on the kitchen table because of this.
Overall, this place is fantastic. We hope to return some day to do some more hiking. If you're on the fence about this place - make a reservation! You won't be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- January 9th, 2012 - Latitude 38 Vacation Rentals in Telluride, Colorado proudly announces new management of the Montana Placer Inn.With expertise in hotel marketing and management, Latitude 38 Vacation Rentals provides a high standard of property care and guest services management providing guests a comfortable stay and access to locals eager to share all of Telluride's best.An original miner's house, the Montana Placer Inn is located on South Oak Street, half a block from the Free Gondola and Telluride Ski Area, and 1.5 blocks to the Telluride Main Street. Year round guests benefit from one of the most desired locations in the Town of Telluride. Montana Placer Inn is an upscale hotel property ideal for Skiers, Boarders, Families, Couples and Festival Goers seeking Location, Convenience, Value and Service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Montana Placer Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.