“Location and ski valet = excellent/ very friendly!!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   119 Lost Creek Lane, Telluride, CO 81435   |
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Telluride
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Location and ski valet = excellent/ very friendly!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our first trip to Telluride. The booking process was excellent and convenient. We had a package including lodging for tour nights, two ski passes for three days. Breakfast for two daily, and round trip transfers arranged from Montrose airport.
When we arrived at the inn we were greeted by Charlie, who made us feel so welcome it was as if we were guests at his house. He collected our skis and took us up to our room, explaining that no two are furnished exactly alike. Our room was a junior suite with a great stone tile entry for taking off boots and coats, etc, equipped with a little kitchenette with microwave, mini stove top, mini fridge and a well-stocked Keurig machine (with hot chocolate!!), a fireplace in the sitting room, a very comfy bed, a flat screen in both sitting room and bed room, large balcony with seating and a really big bathroom including a large shower with steam and rain head and a jacuzzi tub.
Two room negatives: the lighting is realllllllly dim. Might be nice to have at least one set of lights not be at 25 watts! Second was that our tub's cold water faucet did not work at all - straight super hot only. We filled the tub up to cover the jets but had to wait a long while for the water to cool off. As a consequence, we only used it once.
The breakfast was ok - not dazzling, but sufficient. No oatmeal. They had Greek yogurt, wonderful berries, a bunch of cold cereals, granola, scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, potatoes, and a few pastries.
Our room cleaning crew didn't get to our room the first day until around 5 pm., kind of surprising after skiing all day. After that they were better. I was concerned at first.
The concierge is not helpful. Not sure if it is entirely his fault, but there was no record of anyone from the hotel having called to arrange our reservation. Word of warning: Telluride restaurants don't necessarily answer the phone during the day and they get very very very full during the holidays! If you want reservations somewhere, do it long in advance and call a day or two before to confirm.
Ski valet service is excellent and the pick up /drop off could not be more convenient. Charlie and the crew were always cheerful, remembered our names, had our stuff ready for us - they were awesome.
Overall we enjoyed ourselves and compliment all the locals on their genuine friendliness!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Ski valet, home made chocolate cookies in lobby, welcoming, helpful staff. Asked directions to a restaurant and we were whisked in their LandRover. Daily housekeeping. Nice slope view. Ski in and ski out.

Room Tip: Request top floor, high ceilings and better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked 5 nights at the Inn during the peak Christmas holiday. The room was excellent and the ski in/ski out cannot be beat! The bell stand was run very well by Charlie, with both Ryan and Joe treating us like royalty and handling everything from directions to hauling our skis/boots out every day and making sure they were delivered to the convenient rental shop in the same building. They are the reason this rating is not a 1 or a 2.

The included breakfast buffet was very good. Restaurant service during breakfast was adequate.

Unfortunately, the guest services were not anywhere near the level they should have been. The concierge was less than worthless, as they cost us reservations and out of pocket money.

Prior to our arrival, we received an email with a concierge request form on it, which we filled out in detail to ensure we had reservations for dinner, massage, etc. prior to arriving at this very busy time. I called the day we were traveling to confirm our reservation (we were not called by the hotel), and although they did have our reservation, the concierge request form had not been acted on. The desk clerk assured me they take care of it. When we arrived, the guest clerk had made one dinner reservation and a spa appointment, but had questions for us as all the other reservations were not available. However, she decided to wait until we arrived at 10pm instead of calling us, so she said they would need to make the reservations the next day. I followed up with the concierge the next day, who had no idea what I was talking about. There was also no documentation of which reservations were made or what the status of the others were, so the concierge had to contact the desk clerk from the night before and sort it all out. At that point, only very late reservations were available for several nights. Ultimately we ended up with only two reservations during our five-night stay.

Our spa appointment was also mismanaged and miscommunicated, so I called the spa directly and straightened that out. The remainder of our trip, the concierge and front desk clerks continued to disappoint, but we simply laughed it off and didn't let it ruin our trip. We relied on advice of strangers and other businesses to guide our stay, which worked because Telluride is such a friendly place.

The final straw for me was the significant cost we incurred due to the guest services' incompetence. When we called down on our last day to inquire about a half-day ski lift ticket, we were informed that the hotel sells "3 day for the price of 2" lift tickets. I was surprised we weren't informed of this when we checked in and told them we were on a ski trip, and especially upset that we weren't informed on the first day when I personally stopped at the front desk to inquire specifically where we buy lift tickets. Instead, I was directed to the main ticket center at the resort. This lack of knowledge, or lack of thoughtfulness cost us $100/person in lift ticket fees!

The maid service was also poor and sporadic. There were days that we found dirty towels left on the floor, the shower was never wiped out during our stay, and replenishment of bathroom and kitchen supplies was inconsistent.

Overall, the Inn at Lost Creek is a conveniently located and high class but dated facility that has recently undergone an ownership change, with a top-rate bell stand and mediocre or lower guest services.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Julie D, Manager at The Inn at Lost Creek, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the insight and are working with our staff to improve the areas you mention. I understand that your dinner and spa reservations were not handled to your satisfaction and we are working diligently to improve our concierge service. I am sorry that the discount lift tickets were not made available to you upon check-in. We appreaciate all of your comments and will work to improve in these areas. I hope that you will book us in the future and encourage you to contact me directly.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our second stay at the Inn at Lost Creek in March of 2013. The impact of the financial wows a couple of years earlier had a noticeable impact on services. The concierge lacked the professionalism present during our visit in 2002 and lacked knowledge of Telluride. Maid service was omitted one day. The on premises restaurant 9545 was a weak breakfast and lunch option and was no longer operating during dinner. We were interested in an after dinner cocktail at 8PM and the bar on the premises was not open as is did not operate with any consistent hours.

The Inn is within walking distance of the Gondola and is a true ski in ski out with monitored ski lockers. We stayed in a suite that had high vaulted ceilings, bountiful living space, kitchenette and a large bathing area. Our views were sensational. The facility remains plush, with minor deferred maintenance issues that admittedly I was looking for. We got an excellent price for this accommodation by making advanced commitments ahead of the season.

What is very odd and suspicious is that I am writing this review to replace a review timely submitted for a March 2013 ski trip. When I logged onto my TripAdvisor account, I noticed that my review of the Inn at Lost Creek was cleared of all ratings and commentary. When I logged onto the the Tripadvisor page for the Inn at Lost Creek all reviews prior to May of 2013 have been purged. My original rating was an overall very good, given the "monkey business" with purged reviews I lowered it to average. My original very good rating also reflected substantial discounting that we received by advance booking of our room.

Room Tip: The suites are much roomier and superior to the standard rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim M, Owner at The Inn at Lost Creek, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review last March and reposting it again. The reason that your review in March was taken off is that the Telluride Ski & Golf Company purchased the Inn last May and per Trip Advisor policy when a business is purchased the previous reviews can be taken off the site. Only Trip Advisor can take reviews off and I assure you that there was no “monkey business.”

Since taking over the Inn we have made several improvements including: renovating the restaurant into Siam’s Talay Grill an Asian Seafood and Tapas restaurant, we have upgraded the breakfast buffet and included it in the room rate, several suites have been upgraded with new sofa beds, we are installing a DirecTV system next month, improved the HVAC system, every guest room has been basically stripped and deep cleaned, upgraded the coffee makers in suites, and we have more planned in 2014.

We do hope that when you visit Telluride again that you will stay with us!
Kind regards,
Jim
Castle Rock, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Our stay was a quick weekend getaway to see the aspen color in the San Juan mountains, and enjoy Telluride during one of its "shoulder seasons," when things are pretty quiet. The staff was helpful and courteous as mentioned in other reviews, however, the room that we were in was a bit cramped. The queen size bed was almost too large for the room, and the sitting area was also very compact. The couch/sleeper sofa was showing its age and needs to be replaced.

Room Tip: Make sure you know how much room you have to move around and place luggage.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Inn at Lost Creek for a conference that was being held in Mountain Village. This hotel was beautiful! Not only that but it is located so close to the gondola and the surrounding shops I never had to walk too far. I stayed in a studio which was perfect for me. The room felt so comfortable and homey and included so many things like a kitchenette, washer/dryer, jetted tub and much more. When I walked into the room I was greeted with fresh orchids on the bed and in the bathroom. The hotel is starting to show it's age in the lobby and dining room but they more then made up for it with the service. Both desk agents that I spoke with were so helpful and sweet. The bellmen were great taking my bags to and from my room and having my car ready to go when I checked out. Even the servers in the restaurant were wonderful. The breakfast server on my last morning informed me that they will be going through a renovation before they open for the Ski Season. What lucky folks those will be that get to stay there when they reopen! If I ever have the pleasure of getting to go back to Telluride/Mountain Village I will definitely choose the Inn at Lost Creek again!

Room Tip: My room had only a view of the hotel next to us but my last morning it snowed so even that looked be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Inn is located in a convenient area of Mountain Village especially with the gondolas nearby heading up the mountain or to the nearby grocery shopping plaza. The front desk staff was friendly, professional, and helpful. The room was nicely furnished and looked new. The bathroom was spotless and smelled clean and fresh. The views from the room were spectacular with great views of the awesome mountains. The small bar was a cozy spot at night, and the lady behind the bar was a great source of information on the history and activities in the area. The breakfast buffet needs some management attention as there were shortages of food both mornings, and there were not enough tables for the morning rush of guests. The food staff was disorganized and overwhelmed by all the people coming in at the same time. The parking valet was outgoing, prompt, and helpful. We hope to return soon to the Telluride area, and the Inn will be high on our list of consideration for accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to The Inn at Lost Creek? Share your experiences!