“I will be returning to the Lumiere next year without a doubt” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Pet Friendly Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Telluride
Milwaukee
“I will be returning to the Lumiere next year without a doubt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I attend Telluride on an annual basis and decided to stay at the Lumiere this year as it was suggested from a friend of mine. Despite being in the off season the staff were still on their game and lovely to deal with. I will definitely be returning next year to experience the amazing luxury, wish I could be back there right now...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

The room is exquisite, the staff are friendly and helpful, the view is phenomenal and the shower is AMAZING! This is a perfect example of a 5 star luxury, boutique hotel. I thought the W was nice - this is amazing!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband I spent 3 nights at the hotel in March 2010. Upon arrival a man guided us on a tour of the hotel and to the room. Upon entering our room (61) he said the number had been stolen. The room was so hot inside...75 degrees we commented he said that it is always like that and it doesn't work well try turning it down. We figured we could handle that and away he went. So, we turned it down to 60 and left for the rest of the afternoon. Came back...same temp 75. Decided we would put it on cool at 68 and see if that did anything overnight. Nothing. Slept in a sweat box...thank god for the overhead fan to make it tolerable. Morning told the concierge, they will have someone look at it. Came back and a note on the thermostat said, "turning it down won't work nor will cool, just open a window"....SERIOUSLY? So that is how we spent the next 2 nights with the window open day and night.
We heard another guest telling the front desk his bathroom floor was cold.
Now as for the staff, the person that answers the phone is the same person that gets your car is the same person that makes my breakfast. The girls -3 different ones-one each day I saw (must be on 24 hr shifts or something close) all looked way to casual, messy greasy hair and when we commented on how many hours they worked they all were droopy, whiney and looked like @#%&.
They were rarely at the front desk and there was a note to call on their house phone if Ia guest needed something. Hmmm guess that means she is off getting a car or making breakfast.
On our last morning there I went to shower at 7am. No hot water. I call the front desk. "Are you aware there is no hot water?" " No". End of conversation. I find it rather odd that the kitchen who is preparing breakfast and any one of the staff who was there all night did not use hot water to wash their hands or dishes? Makes my stomach turn. So apparently numberless room 61 was way more on the ball with the condition of the hotel than they staff was for heat and hot water.
They need to hire more PROFESSIONAL staff. It took the boutique feeling right down to the bottom.
On a plus the ski valet was nice but at peak times 9am and 4pm they could have used 2 guys...maybe he was making my breakfast or answering the phone.
They did wash my rental car-unrequested but that was nice.
Our view was nice from the room.
The room was clean and I appreciated a refrigerator in the room (too cool it off of course).
And no I was not compensated for my sauna room and then no heat.
I would not stay here again...there are a lot of nice places with ski in/out availability. Try Capella.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
lumierehotel, manager at Lumiere Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Although the reviewer states that they were not compensated for the short time in which the hotel had no hot water, they actually were.

The reviewer felt that our multi-tasking staff was a negative. The lumiere is lucky enough to have a dedicated staff that can cover for each other when an employee or employees are out because of injury or illness.

We felt it was inappropropriate to comment on the appearance of our employees. We have never had a complaint of this type and felt it was completely subjective.

The reviewer also assumed that our kitchen staff did not wash their hands because there was no hot water. As much as the kitchen staff washes their hands and and because of the semi-arid climate we live in, you soon learn that hot water only further dries out your hands. That was an inaccurate speculation.
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

From the time my adult daughter and I arrived at Lumiere Hotel, Telluride, Colorado for skiing, the staff exceled at anticipating and meeting our needs. The common question was "What else can we do to make your stay more enjoyable". We were picked up at the airport by hotel staff, then carried to our spacious and well appointed two bedroom suite where Black Tie Ski Rentals fitted us with custom skis in the living room/kitchen area. Talk about convenient! Extra touches such as humidifiers in each room and multihead showers added to the comfort of our visit. The hotel is ski in/ski out and skis, boots and poles were stored by the hotel staff in a convenient first floor changing area--- no lugging of equipment to the room. Buffet breakfast in the dining room/bar area got us ready for a great day of skiing. Evenings began with happy hour at the hotel's bar where sushi and appetizers were prepared by excellent chefs for us happy guests. Mountain Village restaurants and shops were a one minute walk from the hotel. A two minute walk got us to the gondola for a ten minute ride down the mountain to Telluride where we found many more excellent restaurants and shops. I would describe our experience at Lumiere as exceptional---- exceptional comfort, exceptional convenience, exceptional facilities and exceptional service. I can't imagine anyone being anything other than immensely pleased with their choice of Lumiere as a vacation site.
Bill Byars, M.D.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in ealry Feb and cannot say more about the amazing staff and beautiful accomidations! Being from California and having stayed at many Starwood properties like W, Westin, and St Regis, I have to say that this place sets a new standard for all of the those three! The staff are always available but not too stuffy like you can find in some 5 star hotels. Worth every penny to stay there and the location isn't too bad as well, in mountain village 5 min walk to the gondola. Wes, Penny, Scott and the complete staff blew me away with professionalism and quality service. Cheers to all of you who made my Telluride stay one of those ones I will never forget!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
renkemawarakurna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

We have the unique perspective of having stayed at the Lumiere when it opened last year. We were very impressed during that inagural stay and are pleased to report that the hotel has maintained it's level of excellence.

The Lumiere is a boutique style hotel. As such, its main attribute is that even when fully occupited (30 rooms full), the staff maintains personal service as though you were the only guest. From the check in to the ski valet to the serenity of the "little" bar, the guest is left with the everyday feel of being at home.

While last year's stay was in a beautifully appointed studio room, we upgraded to a two bedroom as we had more of the family. The two bedroom was ideal for 4-6 persons (two bedrooms[king and queen] and queen sleeper sofa). Its common area was more than enough for dining and unwinding as a group at the end of the day, while the separate bedrooms provided more than adequate privacy.

The whole suite was beautifully appointed. Dark stained woods, fine leather furniture, modern audio/video (flat screens in each room (even in the mater suite bathroom), top of the line stainless applicances (wolf/subzero) are some of the highlights. The master shower was equipped with a steam shower that we uitlized every day. I cannot say enough about how 20 minutes in the steam brought us back to life after hard days of skiing. There is also a common area sauna and whirlpool. Even then, the limited guest count ensures that these are never crowded (or in our experience, seldom utilized). We have stayed at the St. Regis in Aspen and several Ritz Carltons. While those are fantastic properties, the Lumiere provides a sense that you staying in your own personal slopeside villa: all of the privacy of your own home with the comfort of concierge when needed.

Service: perfect! It's the kind of support that is not "in your face" but there when required. The ski valet's assist with your gear when they sense your need but are not stumbling over you to provide service. The concierge was very timely and communicated well in securing/ changeing dinner reservations, purchasing discount lift tickets, and setting up ski lessons. In our first visit, the concierge drove to the town to pick up an altitude medication. During this vacation, the ski valet sensed our child's dehydration and took it upon themselves to go to the local store and pickup some Gatorade (it was VERY much appreciated).

Dining: again, perfect! The complementary breakfast is buffet style. While it varies day to day, it is comprised of the staples of a breakfast built for a day of skiing: eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, fruit, etc. Dinner!!!!! I'll preface by saying that while we enjoyed the best that Telluride has to offer (Chop House, Allred's, La Marmotte) we concluded at the end of the week that our favorite dining was at the "little" bar inside the Lumiere. Granted, the proximity to our room (50ft) was nice; however, the sushi, the seafood chowder (never had better), Guinness on tap, and the personal service of our sushi chef Tom was unforgetable (really).

Skiing: perfect, again! I think we have been a bit blessed with the skiing. Not to take anything away from the mountain but we just experienced our second year of wonderful snow (mostly during the night) and a 50/50 split of sunny/cloudy days (all while the temps were between 20-40 degrees). The good fortune aside, the mountain truly offers some of the best variety we've encountered (Snowmass, Vail, Keystone, Copper, A Basin, Breckenridge, Wolf Creek, Monarch, Beaver Creek being some of the comparative experiences). The other huge attribute is the lack of people: no crowds at all. Granted our stay was during a low volume period (1st week of February), but at times I would literally wonder if I was the only person on the mountain. I did inquire as to the load during spring break and was assured that at max the waits were 5-10 minutes (match that against the hour I spent in a line at Breckenridge 2 years ago (never again!!)).

Unfortunately, I'm writing this review from home. The whole family is going through a bit of Telluride withdrawal. We miss the Lumiere,. We miss the staff: Wes, Tom, Penny, David, Gustavo, Eduardo, Wes (yes there are two), and all the others who worked so consistently hard at making the Lumiere the best place to stay in Telluride (and in our opinion the best place to stay for skiing anywhere).

Thanks Luniere, we cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Great location, chilled relaxed atmosphere at the hotel matched by excellent service. Extremely high level of guest focus from the management team & a particular highlight was the pre-arrival assistance from Dave the Concierge who could not have been more helpful both prior to & during our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lumiere Hotel? Share your experiences!