“Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Telluride
Austin, Texas
“Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We wanted to stay in a hotel this time around in Telluride versus staying in a regular condo. Most of the times although we get nice looking condos the beds are terrible and after a long
day of skiing the last thing I wanted was a uncomfortable bed. We loved the bed here, we stay in a one bedroom suite (57), we had a nice view of the mountains and it was pretty quiet.
The room is pretty elegant and comfortable, it kept us warm when we were at the suite. We had a kitchen( a really nice one) and additional ½ bathroom and a dining table for 6, the living room with the chimney was pretty spacious.
I highly recommend to get your tickets with the concierge as they gave us discounted tickets.
They also provided us with the “black tie service” which brings the ski rentals to your own room- talk about 1st class service. The hotel also has a valet service where you can ski in and out with no problem, that we loved!!
The rooms and personal was very nice and I highly recommend staying in this place, but for food/breakfast, snacks, drinks please go get your groceries at the city market, just a gondola away.

We tried to dined one time at the Little Bar but there was only one server/bartender and she seemed fluster with all the customers arriving at once and she kept saying “ that’s all I have” to other customers when they asked for something special, even I wanted a decaf cappuccino w/ a side of amaretto and she offer me a regular decaf – which is not the same thing- and that was the only time I decided to stop by as we ventured outside to Allreds, the New Sheridan and Cosmo, great choices.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 5th or 6th floor (more $$), otherwise you don't get a great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a cool boutique hotel. I had a huge 1 bedroom with a view of the mountains and the slopes--it was beautifully appointed, kept spotless by the staff and absolutely cozy and luxurious!
The entire staff was helpful, accommodating and super friendly. The ski valet was convenient and the ski techs were super knowledgable. I loved it so much that I extended my stay--luckily they had room :). It really felt like a comfy "home away from home" and not like I was staying in a hotel. Very private.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Charlottesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have stayed with our teens and friends at this cool boutique hotel 3 times over the past 5 or so years and have loved it every time. We have stayed in one of their largest Penthouse apartments (3-4 bedrooms) each time. Those rooms are beautiful with amazing moutain views and tons of space. You have a kitchen, washer and dryer - everything you need.
The hotel has always arranged to pick us up from the airport when we land and have Black Tie ski service come to our room to fit us out for ski rentals which they will then store in the downstairs locker room. Ski in-ski out - so easy - right off the main chair lift.
The buffet breakfast is included and very good. They have a pretty broad selection of breads, yogurt, granola, sausage, bacon, eggs. I am a big egg eater and they are only so-so but hard to make buffet eggs awesome.
The bar is great for cocktails and sushi - bartender always excellent and friendly - and usually other guests around to chat with.
It's a short walk to the Gondola for a ride into Telluride for dinner (the hotel is in Mountain Village where there are plenty of restaurants/bars and shopping for ski needs, but the best restaurants by far are in town).
The only criticism we have of the hotel is that it's always really hot in the hotel rooms. I personally don't mind that much because I'm always cold - but my husband and our friends sort of freak out about it : )

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in late January, 2013. Our one bedroom residence was so wonderful that we didn't mind staying in our room when it was snowing too hard for us to ski. Top of the line appliances, incredibly comfortable furniture and breathtaking views from BOTH of the balconies. The staff, especially Nick, Britni and Jose, could not have been more helpful. Christine, who made us a wonderful breakfast every morning, was a delight. Lumiere is truly ski in/ski out. The guys in the ski valet made putting on the gear and getting to the slope as easy as pie. Our stay was absolutely magical and we can't wait to get back to Telluride and Lumiere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I have just read a review that is critical of this hotel. Can't believe it! We stayed here for 6 nights from Jan 14. It is just lovely. Our apartment( on floor 5) was sensational. Roomy. Wonderful bathrooms- that steam shower is amazing! Staff very pleasant at all times. In particular Christine ( from Michigan originally)!, at breakfast. I will concede that the " little bar" is a slightly odd room for communal breakfast. A bit cramped at times. The kids that were there with us were really well behaved, though I must say the buffet was ravaged!! Breakfast fairly hopeless on Christine's day off! The ski valet blokes magnificent. We will be back!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Altadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed in a deluxe room with a view, nicely decorated with new furniture, and spacious bathroom appears to be quite new. Tile was warm and shower and tub are separate. In the mornings though, you can hear truck engines and rear beeps while making deliveries and trash pickup. The passage between the heavy large dresser under the TV and the granite top of the kitchen counter is only about two feet apart. As I tried to walk through one time I bumped my arm on the granite corner hurting my arm. If the dresser is moved to make more room it will block the spot to the a/c control panel so had to walk carefully through that passage - poor design there. Small frig motor turned on and off quite often keeping me awake at night; turned up the temp that seemed to slow down the cycles. Concierge was incredibly friendly however somehow two reservations they had setup, one with ground transportation and the other a spa appointment at another hotel, were wrong; they did well with making dinner reservations. The breakfast is self serve, was the same every morning and not much of a variety; usually they ran out of spoons, glasses or mugs so had to wait for staff to bring more. This hotel is a family friendly hotel in that the staff of the small and only restaurant there tolerates kids running around and jumping on the couch and chairs near two fireplaces. The parents tried to subdue the kids but gave up and continued to eat their breakfast or sip on their wine at dinner while patrons gave them annoying looks. I complained to concierge that the kids were out of control but all I got were apologies. The two outdoor pools are in between tall buildings that felt confining. There are steps that lead up to the jacuzzi with a capacity of about ten with a view of the hotel across the street and if you're in the right spot you can see the mountain peaks in between buildings. The dry sauna next to the jacuzzi doesn't work - water is supposed to be poured over the decorative rock and heater however when I turned on the timer from the outside to start the heater didn't warm up; after about ten minutes I gave up. There is a small fitness room with a treadmill and a few stationary bikes. For any spa treatment, there's only one room and you get to it by going through the room of what appeared to be the employee locker room. If you want a manicure or pedicure you have to go to the other side of mountain village to Peaks resort - when it's around 20 to 30 degrees outdoors, your newly painted nails and toes are instantly dry almost seconds after walking out. Concierge offers a drive to the resort but I opted to walk. I had the treatments done and made it an adventure to walk back to the hotel and walking into one of the shops to thaw out since I was wearing sandals and felt a little frost bite coming on! The hotel ski valet take your equipment up to the slope so you can ski to a lift. In the end, my bill was wrong and I had to spend time fixing it, time that I hadn't planned in the morning after I returned from getting breakfast in the village and had to pack fast so I wouldn't miss my ride to the airport.

Room Tip: Noise from street for room with a view. Room without a view may have less noise but appear to face...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Thanks to Bas and the rest of the staff for top notch service and really making our stay enjoyable. We stayed for a week over the very busy New Years holiday period.

Things we liked best about Lumiere: very helpful and attentive staff; clean room with nice bathroom; The Little Bar for breakfast and sushi; just a few steps to the slopes where you can ski down to the lift; in the end its about skiing and the ski valet rocks.

Not so great: for couples be prepared to be surrounded by children and and a few bed-headed, pyjama clad parents at breakfast; while the larger rooms are spectacular the smallest rooms are small and dark.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lumiere Hotel? Share your experiences!