“Stunning property, exquisite cabins!” 5 of 5 stars

Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Ranch   |   3530 County Road 83, Tabernash, CO 80478   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, CO
“Stunning property, exquisite cabins!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

Devil's Thumb Ranch goes to immense lengths in their eye for detail. The cabins are stunning -- each one decorated with different themes and antiques with beautiful, comfortable furnishings you would want in your own home; no scratchy bedspreads or stiff couches in sight. Their obvious commitment to being environmentally responsible is also wonderful -- from the geothermally heated floors to the products they choose (including Aveda and Biota bottled water which is in a biodegradable container), everything is so well thought out. The valley is gorgeous, the staff is friendly and helpful, the restaurant serves wonderful organic food -- I could go on and on. There is a warm and inviting atmosphere no matter where you are on the Ranch. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

On 01/29/2006, my wife and I planned the 1st day of our honeymoon at the Devils Thumb Ranch which resulted in complete dissapointment. I followed up with the GM at the resort who gave us broken promises of his concession for our experience. We called the resort and asked for the owners email and noone would provide us with the information. They requested that we fill out a comment card instead even though we were getting nowhere with the GM. This is a copy of the email we wrote the GM explaining our experiences with Devils Thumb Ranch.

Rob,

I am writing to follow up on our discussion concerning our unpleasant experience at The Devils Thumb Ranch on January 29th, 2006.

Per our discussion, the service that I scheduled was a 110 min. athletic massage and my wife was scheduled for two additional services.

I had a conversation of my expectations prior to my services with your massage therapist Charity Greene and specifically identified the expectation of my service and detailed the areas I wanted worked specifically and stated to her to ignore the other parts of my body. Charity listened and showed her understanding of my clear expectations. I asked of her confirmation on the athletic massage as being a "deep tissue" massage and she agreed. I stated to Charity prior to my massage that I have a 90 minute deep tissue massage every other week emphasizing that this was my expectation on that day.

During the service, she did not focus specifically on the areas we discussed, instead she preformed a total body massage equivalent to a Swedish full body massage. After the service, I addressed my concerns with her service. Charity stated, "I had a feeling that you were unhappy with my massage". I agreed and went on to discuss how specific I was prior to the service and how disappointed I was with the experience. Charity's response was "this is a spa...hence- spa..we are not a physical therapy clinic". This response was not only rude, but very uncomfortable for me as I waited for my wife to have her massage completed.

If my request for my deep tissue massage, working on specific areas was not available at your resort, I should of been informed by Charity when I discussed my expectation before my massage. I also let her know I would never go to a therapist for and pay for a Swedish massage, I only purchase deep tissue massages for specific work.

Charity asked me "what would make you happy?" I responded by saying "I do not want to pay for a service I did not receive". She responded by saying that she would not charge me for the Athletic massage.

Upon completion of my wife's massage and facial, we rendered payment to Charity and my wife requested a summary of the bill. We were charged for a Swedish massage for my service.

If that was an admittance of her massage performance, I am not willing to pay for her inadequacies. I tried to work this situation out with Charity and she proceeded to charge our credit card, stating she could lower my massage service by 20%, as if this was some kind of bargaining service.

My wife did not want to stay at the spa as I tried to resolve this with Charity, so she signed the credit card voucher and I asked for the owner's name. Charity responded by saying "the owner's do not work here, I can give you the GM's name".

My wife and I live in Atlanta. We flew to Colorado and we were married at Still Water Chapel the night before our services at Devils Thumb Resort. We had planned and booked our honeymoon day at The Devil's Thumb Ranch as a wedding gift to each other hoping for a wonderful experience. After our spa services we had planned to have dinner at the Devils Thumb resort but unfortunately, after this we both had unpleasant moods and we decided to just leave the resort, drive back to our hotel and did not have dinner at all that night.

Rob, I called you on several occasions and played phone tag for a while. I continued to make calls sometimes 4 or 5 times a day until I finally contacted you. I discussed this unpleasant experience with you expecting a refund (which as far less than my treatment, experience and time) but that was not offered by you either.

What you did offer after I told you that we visit the Grand County annually, was a certificate at the ranch for this incident that would be mailed to us. It has been 3 weeks since that promise and again, we have been let down by The Devils Thumb Ranch.

My time just like yours is costly. The amount of my time this has taken is uncalled for. The respect we have received is embarrassing and the memory of our 1st day of our honeymoon will never be forgotten.

I am requesting the email address of the owner Robert Fanch, at this time. It is my belief that he might have a better solution for our experiences than what we have received thus far.

Respectfully yours,

• Stayed January 2006
, Owner at Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2006
While Joey did not stay on our property, we deeply regreat that his visit to our spa and the massage he received was not up to his expectations. We were particularly troubled to find out that his experience ruined his honeymoon. Our General Manager did play phone tag with him to try and resolve his concerns. In addition, I personally e mailed him last week to determine if he would prefer his money back vs. the service certificates that were initially sent to him for his future visits planned to Grand County. I have not heard back from him, however, would love the opportunity to correct any service issues.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2005

For a vacation to see all of what Colorado has to offer, my family and I stayed for a week at Devil's Thumb Ranch. Largely due to the service and amenities at Devil's Thumb, we had one of the best vacations ever.

The scenery was stunning, the environment was quiet and secluded, the food was exquisite, the wait staff was top notch, the cabin was well appointed, well designed and extremely clean and the front desk staff attentive to our every need.

Our typical day started with the complimentary breakfast where everything was fresh, high quality and varied enough to please palates from a 3-year old to adult. The off-site activities (hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, boating/fishing on Lake Granby, rafting the upper Colorado, strolling through the town of Grand Lake) were only a short drive away. The on-site activities (horseback riding, hiking, fishing and spa) surpassed all expectation. After each day's activities, we enjoyed the fruit, wine and cheese while relaxing in the pool and hot tub among some of the most beautiful vistas America has to offer. The restaurant epitomized the service we received at the Ranch. The food and wine selection were excellent and there was a child's menu to ensure everyone in my family was satisfied.

The restaurant, pool, stables and cabins were newly built and well designed with a western feel to blend-in with the environment. While there was construction going on during our stay, there was a tall, solid fence surrounding the area such that none of the normal issues with construction (i.e. dirt, noise, etc.) were noticed. All the facilities were available and functioning during their normal business hours. It appeared to me that all facilities were designed with the maximum preservation, appreciation and enjoyment of the environment in mind.

My kids (3,6 and 7) had a great time. It was the first time they had ever been horseback riding and we ended up returning to the stables 4 times. The staff there made them feel very comfortable around horses even though I fully expected my kids to approach the horses with a large amount of trepidation. My 3-year old still talks of his friend, George, the horse he rode 3 times.

The front desk staff saw to our every need. They helped me plan our vacation and provided the little extras that made our stay superb.

In general, if the objective is to have a good deal of activities for all ages and a good deal of relaxation with a strong touch of luxury, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2005
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

I just returned from a most delightful experience in the mountains. We wanted to view the meteor shower, so we headed to Devil's Thumb Ranch. When I made reservations, I was told construction was going on, but assured the restaurant was open - meaning a hearty continental breakfast would be included. I mention the construction because I was a bit surprised to read a previous review. There is a high wall surrounding the construction site, thereby protecting the Ranch's visitors, as well as dampening noise (we were there mid-week, so construction obviously was going on).
In any case, our timing could not have been better. A spa was being christened, and on the spur of the minute I signed up for a massage and my friend opted for the facial. Ohmigod! We were advised the spa is a temporary facility until the permanent one is complete. If that's the temporary one, I canNOT wait until the permanent one is ready!
We enoyed everything about our short sojourn - the well-marked hiking trails, the roomy/comfortable cabin (beautifully decorated) , the fresh breakfast, the helpful and courteous employees and, last but not least, the outstanding spa. The male in our group enjoyed the pool, hot tub and sauna while we girls basked under the tender hands of our expert masseuses. And yes, the meteor shower was out of this world - although I guess in all fairness I can't credit the Ranch for that. But I do credit them for not having the place all lit up, thereby enhancing our enjoyment of that phenomenom.
We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

Attended a wedding recently and stayed at the ranch. We were told last summer that the ranch construction would be completed or at least not visible. When we drove up, the valley was completely in construction and we found it difficult to even locate the main lodge. While the cabins are beautiful and set away from the area your view is right into a construction pit. This is unfortunate since they charge such high dollar. It seems they are constantly telling you what you want to hear but they can't seem to deliver that package. Wait until the construction is over and hopefully you can afford it.

• Stayed July 2005
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

You won't learn this from the web site, the literature they send you, or the nice folks who answer the phone; but as of June 2005 Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort is in the middle of a huge reconstruction/remodel/expansion. As a result, there is mud/construction debris/chaos all around, and endless noise from construction equipment. Many of the promised services/facilities are
not available...despite all this they are still charging full rack rates, and not informing guests before they arrive.

It looks like it will be very nice when complete (scheduled for early 2007), but I'd give it a pass until then.

• Stayed June 2005
, owner at Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2005
A friend of ours had recommended we check out the sole review of our Ranch on Trip Advisors, concerned that it left a misleading impression of our property.

In looking at the date of the review, it appears that the individual stayed with us during our off season. Our staff has lived with renovation related business over the past three years. and all communications (phone and otherwise) reiterate construction status. The last thing a business owner wants is for a guest to arrive disappointed---and leave never to come back. Our goal is happy customers and repeat customers. Particularly with the amount of time, energy and money we have spent over the past four years on to renovate this property.

We opened for the full summer season on July 1st, at which time our property was in tip top shape (other than our current construction area, which is closed off behind a 12 foot high fence (stained at that!) surrounding the construction site.) As of July 1st our restaurant renovation was completed as was our indoor entry/outdoor pool and hot tub along with our summer landscaping. The completion of 16 new cabins was under our belt along with our new Activity/Retail Shop, wine cellar dining room and special event/meeting space.

While I cannot say that we are not impacted by construction, we feel that the Ranch provides an excellent value for a guests vacation/travel dollars a wonderful way to experience the great Colorado outdoors. In addition, our construction is not during the weekends.

We have had many happy guests here this summer. I myself have sent many business and personal friends to stay at the Ranch, doing so with pride. We would hope that the individual who stayed here earlier in June would give us the opportunit to treat him/her to a free night's stay so they can see for themselves the positive changes that have been made.

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!