“Unbelievable nordic center” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Ranch   |   3530 County Road 83, Tabernash, CO 80478   |
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Unbelievable nordic center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were only able to ski on this trip and frankly it was unbelievable! The trails were extensive and the grooming was perfect. The staff of the ski shop was super friendly and helpful. Especially, Igor the Director, he was very professional and relates his love of skiing to all the guests no matter their ability. Based upon our experience with the ski center and staff, we will be back to stay and enjoy what must be an awesome lodging experience to go along with the skiing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The second we walked into our room and flipped the switch to the fireplace, we felt a huge weight lifted off our shoulders. The entire weekend was a relaxing experience-quiet and restful, except for our skate skiing adventures! Dinner at Hecks was definitely a little overpriced, but convenient. If you are willing to get in the car, Winter Park and Fraser have some other less expensive options. Skiing was fabulous (although a bit pricey) but we will surely bring our own gear next time. Can't beat the extensive trail system, and natural beauty!

All in all DTR is a fabulous experience, we just wish we didn't have to spend so much "extra" money after the original booking. We'll be back-but only with a discount.

Room Tip: rooms facing the meadow are fabulous. Our room was facing the parking lot, and while not ideal, was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We came up for the Valentines weekend and were impressed as we drove up to the resort.
As first time guests however, I would have appreciated a better explanation from the front desk staff members on where things were located and how to easily get around.
We ventured off to tour the property and all it had to offer an have to say, it was a bit difficult at first, to realize where we were going and how to get back out. Doors and hallways are not clearly marked. Some not marked at all. I can honestly say we headed the wrong way several times on our first walk through.
We took in dinner at both Hecks and The Ranch and enjoyed both however, the food at Heck's needed salting for just about everything that came to the table. The Valentines dinner special at The Ranch House was terrific.
We enjoyed cross country skiing in the afternoon with a massage to follow and had only a short 45 minutes left at the end of the day to take in the hot tub and pool. It closes at 9pm which is just too early.
We appreciated many people and things about the Ranch and could offer some suggestions for improvement that wouldn't take the resort much to implement.

• Stayed February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

As a native Coloradan who now lives on the East Coast, I wanted to share with my wife the best of the Rocky Mountains--something authentic, romantic, and relaxing. When I booked, I was a little nervous that the Devil's Thumb Ranch might be a bit hokey like some of the Colorado dude ranches marketed to tourists. On the contrary, I was pleasantly surprised by how luxurious yet understated it was. It was exactly what we were looking for. The friendly staff understood how to ensure guests had everything they needed while staying out of the way and allowing us to enjoy our own vacation together. We stayed at the main lodge in a room with a fireplace and a magnificent view up to the Continental Divide. The bathroom included a great, deep bathtub and a large walk-in shower. The two leather chairs in front of the fireplace were very comfortable. We rented cross-country ski equipment at the Ranch and enjoyed the ease of skiing from the Ranch's doorstep. We skied for a total of 4 hours but covered only a small fraction of the many miles of groomed trails. The skiing did help us work-up an appetite. We ate at both restaurants on the property. The food at the lower-priced Heck's Restaurant was good but not fantastic. Nonetheless, after a day of skiing the warm environment provided by the large fireplace in the center Heck's was very inviting, and I strongly recommend taking advantage of the happy-pricing, which includes $1 draft beers. The food at the Ranch House Restaurant was better but slightly more expensive, though still reasonable considering that my wife and I enjoyed great food and wine here for less than $200. My trout entree was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Winter Park Resort, however I drove to Devil's Thumb every day for some fantastic cross country skiing. It was a short 10-15 minute drive from WP Resort. Trails were beautifully groomed. The place is very serene and customer service was great. On the 3rd day I got a discounted price, and they let my 3 year old ski for free on some spiderman skis that made him very happy! They also have ski chariots that you can rent for small children so that you can pull them while you ski. I would love to bring my family back here in the summer to enjoy other activities. I do think this place would be a little far to stay at if you have downhill skiers in your family that mostly want to ski at Winter Park.

We ate in their coffee shop afterwards and had a great lunch. Food was excellent and about on par with resort prices....$7 for a tuna sandwich. I peeked in a their larger sit down restaurant and prices were higher....$19 for that burger mentioned in a previous post. I have heard from locals that they have great happy hours from 4-6 and a fantastic game room and movie theater for kids. A+++ for cross country!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I cannot say enough about Devil's Thumb. Devil's Thumb will forever hold a special place in my heart. I orginally found the ranch just by searching online and fell in love with their website alone. The way the ranch looked online seemed like such a beautiful place, and I knew I had to see it in person at least once in my lifetime. When my boyfriend and I decided to go to Colorado for a long weekend, we knew we wanted to stay at Devil's Thumb Ranch.

Little did I know, my boyfriend was planning a proposal at Devil's Thumb. Although we had some special treatment since my now fiance had everything planned ahead of time, I can honestly say that no matter why you visit Devil's Thumb it will be worth every penny you spend. The staff is truly happy to be there and happy to answer any question you have or even just visit with you! We had the opportunity to meet the owner of the entire ranch, and he was such a nice guy! The attention to detail of the ranch is what amazed me. Every single piece of furniture, rug, decoration has such character and beauty to it. You can look for dust, and I guarantee you won't find it. This ranch tries to be a 5 star resort, and they definitely succeed in doing so.

Some of the reasons I loved the ranch....
There are fireplaces every where you look. There are so many nooks and crannies where you can cuddle up with a good book on a leather chair by the fireplace in your sweats. The coffee shop has delicious warm drinks. The Ranch House restaurant is top notch--try the Wagyu beef. It is phenomonal. People are here to relax and visit, and I can say there's no where better than Devil's Thumb Ranch to do so.

Find a reason to go visit whether if it's with your family, with your significant other, or with your friends. It is a true Colorado experience, and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful place. Way over priced. Customer service was terrible except for a few of the staff. We couldn't use the pool one whole day we were there & they would do nothing to compensate that. Massages were amazing! Food was over priced and not good.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!