“Lodging fit for a King” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sterling
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Lodging fit for a King”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I've stayed at the Sundowner for three different business trips this year and it's always been great. From the outside, she doesn't look like much. The lobby, other than the friendly and helpful staff, is similarly unimpressive. But then you get to your room, and you realize that it's been very, very nicely renovated. The rooms have comfortable beds, modern furnishings, and even flat screen TVs. Were the Sundowner located anywhere but Sterling, Colorado you could probably expect to pay around $200 for a room of that quality.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stopped here from IL to Estes Park, CO. We have never stayed in a Best Western, but they are pretty prevalent in Nebraska and Colorado. We were going to stay at the Best Western in Ogallala, NE. That Best Western looked very sub-par, so... we continued onto this hotel because it had been rated so well on tripadvisor. The front desk was very helpful. The room was under $100 for a suite. The kids loved the indoor and outdoor pools (could be a bit cleaner) and hot tub. The beds were ultra-comfortable in remodeled rooms. The breakfast was plentiful. We would definitely stay here again (and I am picky about hotels!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
pueblo, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

On our way back from Nebraska, we made an early stop for the
day at the Best Western in Sterling....I had not made pre-reservations.,
but since it was about 11AM the nice folks at the desk took my card and
used it like a reservation...My wife wanted two "pass-thru" type of rooms, one
for ourselves and 1 for the the 2 boys...The place has a small indoor pool
and a somewhat large outdoor pool which we made immediate use of
when we checked back in about 1:30 Pm The price for the 2 units was 98 dollars
each. and the breakfast was good and plentiful....Friendly staff....Joe

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

The price was good since we were able to use our reward points to get a jacuzzi room, the problem was the jacuzzi pressure was terrible. A person could have farted and got more water movement.
It was nice to have an exterior entrance and the rooms were clean. The staff was nice. We were there on the 4th of July which made it hard to find a resturant open. We had to eat at a pancake house.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Northern Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Since I was traveling with a family group of 5, I wanted something bigger than a regular room. Before I checked in, the front desk lady offered to show me the family suite. As I walked in the door, I knew that this would be one of the nicer stays of our 11 day trip.

The room looked and smelled clean (and I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke.) The family suite is very nice if you have children . . . for about the same price as a regular room, you get two full sized bedrooms, a large bathroom, and a separate sink. The teenage girls thought that the mirror arrangement was the best that they had seen for fixing hair. It was nice that they could fix hair at the separate sink, while someone was in the bathroom, which had its own sink.

The continental breakfast was very nice and included waffles and hard boiled eggs besides all the traditional fare.

I didn't use the pools but saw that the spa and indoor pool were popular with other guests. The separate outdoor pool did not open until later in May.

I am writing this review using the hotels high speed wireless internet which performs very well. There is also a business center in the lobby.

I have relied heavily on Trip Advisor reviews in the past, but never before given a review. I was so impressed, I decided now was the opportunity to take time from my busy schedule to write this one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Very friendly staff, great breakfast for free and the rooms are far superior to any other in town.

Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We were pleased with our room at this hotel. We were a little apprehensive about staying at a Best Western because we have had a bad experience in the past, but this one was fine.
Based on suggestions from other reviewers, I requested a room in the "remodeled" hall; and it was very clean and up to date. The bed was comfortable. The wireless internet connection was extremely slow, though.
The public water supply in Sterling is NOTdrinkable, so you have to bring your own bottled water. The hotel has a reverse osmosis filter, but this causes the water to have a bad odor. I really noticed it when brushing my teeth.
The breakfast was good...the usual plus hot waffles. There was an attendant on duty to make the waffles...I think that was as much to protect the waffle maker as to help out.
The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. However, they were not able to work with me in planning for an upcoming trip this summer. I will need a room for an extended stay and was hoping for a reduction in the rate; but I was told that I had received their lowest rate with my AARP card and there was nothing they could do.
FYI...The Comfort Inn and the Ramada Inn just down the road are both willing to reduce rates for extended stays.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Sundowner? Share your experiences!