“Nice place, too bad it is run by Mountain Resorts” 3 of 5 stars

You added Shadow Run Condominiums to your Saves list
Shadow Run Condominiums
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   2900 Whistler Road, Steamboat Springs, CO 80487   |
Bedford, Massachusetts
“Nice place, too bad it is run by Mountain Resorts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Steamboat Springs is an amazing place to ski, and the free bus service from Shadow Run Condominiums makes getting to and from the mountain pretty easy. But the company that you need to contact in order to stay there is called Mountain Resorts. It seems that all 3 people who I dealt with when I finally found my way to their office were so unhelpful...it felt as if they were impostors who stepped behind the counter as a joke while the actual customer service providers had stepped away for a minute. They looked as if I had interrupted them. They provided no greeting or information, couldn't give good directions to their own properties, and just stood silently until I asked for basic instructions and details. I have yet to meet people so unwilling to offer any help, suggestions or willingness to solve issues. Though their website claimed there was a pool, when I asked about it, I found out that the pool was under construction. When I talked to them about how disappointed I was to discover this, they promised a manager would call me, and after 2 days without a call, I called again. This time I was told there was nothing they could do. I suggested that they give me a key to a pool at one of their other properties and they just could not see how that was possible. They suggested that I call orbitz and see if they could offer a solution, or that I pay $12/day per person to swim in town. I'm not sure which "solution" was more unsatisfactory. I wish I could have rented the condo from the owner instead of needing to go through this company.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
ogden ut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Stayed at Shadow Run in a top floor 1 beedroom unit along with our two yonger kids. It was clean, well kept, and had anything we needed and more.

Location is better than most. Right on the shuttle, easy to the gondola square or downtown. You can walk to a small market and some places to eat if you like and for us that was a good choice. Overall it was more than we expected and in comparing it with other ski areas where we have stayed it was a heck of a value.

• Liked — overall value and location
  • Disliked — nothing bothered me about theaccommodation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Incline Village
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our family stayed at the Shadow Run Condos in Steamboat Springs CO, run by Mountain Resorts. We were there Jul 20-27 for a baseball tournament. They are reasonably priced and appropriate perhaps for a young family or college students on a budget. The condo we had was on the 1st floor which is actually taking steps down to ground level. When we walked into the condo it smelled like the windows hadn't been opened all year, it had an old, dirty, musty smell like dust and dampness. The rooms are very small, our condo was a 2 brm/2ba with a queen futon in the living room. The bedrooms are very small, the TV in the guest room didn't work, the guest room was supposed to be the master bedroom,it had the adjoining bathroom and double closets but had 2 twin beds, the guest room that my husband & I used had a queen bed but a separate bathroom. The washing machine didn't have warm/hot water. The futon in the living room was dirty, the toaster didn't work properly. The housekeeping service would deliver clean towels daily but forgot to pick up the used towels, and they didn't take the trash out daily like they're supposed to. There was no vacuum in our condo so they couldn't do the vacuuming on Wednesday when they do the mid-week minimum cleaning. They barely spoke/understood English.

I am an ex-travel agent and I wouldn't recommend these condos to anybody, unless you're a college student or a young couple and on a tight budget. They're close to the ski area and a free shuttle to downtown right outside the door, but that's the only plus this place has. It was like staying in a dungeon, it was depressing to be cooped up in there. Thank goodness we were at baseball games all day, didn't want to spend any time in the condo except for sleeping.

• Liked — It had free internet service.
  • Disliked — Dark & dingy, too small.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

After a 20 hour drive we checked in and the only thing offered to us at the desk was our key. No shuttle info, town info, hotel info. Got to our room and went straight for a shower....COLD!!!! Picked up the phone to call, phone didn't work. Maintenace guy checks hot water heater and tells us it's old and should be replaced, call if it is the same tomorrow. We could barely get enough hot water for our morning showers each day. Second day we get back and clean towels were placed on our kitchen table, did not pick up dirty towels or take out garbage. Next day, no towels or garbage pick up at all. Called and maintenance brought towels at 7:30pm. Next day we did get towels, no garbage pick up. Walked around facility and saw bags of dirty towels laying in the parking lot. When I checked out I expressed my disappointment but of course never did hear from management or anything like that. Price is ok but there is no customer service at all for these unit. Steamboat is wonderful and I have been coming for 8 years, I was sad to see the lack of effort or caring put into these units.

Stayed March 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

Our family of 4 stayed in a 1 BR unit that we booked directly through the owner on vrbo.com. We were looking for an affordable place to stay while we skiied. The condo complex was directly on the free bus route and we were just steps away. The complex had 2 hot tubs. The complex wasn't anything fancy, however it was clean and affordable. We would recommend this to travelers who are looking for an affordable place to stay. Most of the places we looked at during "peak season" were double the $125 per night we paid. We felt it was a good value for the $$.

• Liked — Location to bus route, price, large ski lockers, washer & dryer in unit
  • Disliked — Size of condo - 1BR was a bit small for the 4 of us
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

Shadow Run just south of the main ski area, was a pit. The complex looked like public housing. Neighboring condo units had their doors open and looked trashed, clothes, boxes, food all over. I didn't feel safe leaving my car in the parking lot. Yuck.

Mountain Resorts is the agent for most of the condos in the area. The desk help at Mountain Resorts was desultory at best.

Staying at a ski resort in the summer has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side, you get a room or condo unit for a steal: $100 per night for a condo unit that costs four times that in January. On the minus side is, well, it's Summer: The mountain looks like a steep lawn. Every resort is in construction, often moving whole mountainsides with heavy equipment. It's noisy, dusty, and construction cranes spoil the mountain views. Many shops and restaurants are closed.

I love Steamboat, would go back. The town is great, the hiking is spectacular. But I would NEVER do business with Mountain Resorts again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — The neighborhood
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

Stayed during a Triple Crown tournament plus extra time. During the tournament, things were loud, but quieted down at a reasonable hour. When the teenagers from the baseball teams weren't in town, the property was fabulous -- comfortable and affordable.

Have stayed previous years in winter and found it quite nice. Easy access to the slopes and town via the free bus or walkable if we weren't schlepping skis/equipment.

I'd stay here again -- you can't beat the price!

• Liked — Value for price
  • Disliked — It's a walk-up.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shadow Run Condominiums? Share your experiences!