We stayed here for one night with our two young children. We were staying three days at a cabin in nearby Clark and decided to come up a day early and stay in town. The Ptarmigan was by far the best value for hotels in Steamboat that I could find with a few days notice (got a good deal through Bookings.com that the hotel could not match when I called them directly). As other reviewers have already stated, the décor it very dated (but it is at least mostly 90s dated rather than 70s or 80s dated, though the shower tile was very 70s and practically gave me a seizure to look at). The datedness included a VHS player in the room, which I thought was weird. However, it was very clean, the staff is great and the location was lovely. We had a tiny balcony overlooking the plaza that our kids loved, and we could see the gondola too. This hotel would be amazing during ski season with ski-in/ski-out access and Christy Sports ski rental on the premises.
We walked to the gondola once we checked in and rode it to the top for a "sunset happy hour" event that evening. It was a perfect introduction to our time in the area, with incredible views and a thrill for the kids. Afterwards we walked to a nearby restaurant for dinner, and then watched a free movie in the plaza for a little while. We really appreciated the ability to walk places that first night rather than spend more time in the car. A pleasant evening had by all and a nice first night in Steamboat. The hotel was quiet and comfortable overall.
Pros: good value, excellent location by gondola and plaza, helpful staff, very clean, kid-friendly, pool
Cons: no option but to use stairs to the elevator (tough with luggage and stroller), unimpressed with complimentary continental breakfast, very dated décor with polyester scratchy bedspreads
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only Steamboat hotel with ski-in, ski-out access. The Ptarmigan Inn is the premier Steamboat lodging option for your Steamboat ski vacation, offering Steamboat’s only affordable ski-in ski-out access to the Steamboat Ski Resort. Start your Steamboat vacation planning now by letting us help you with all your needs while you’re here in Steamboat Springs. Check room availability and book now or contact a Steamboat lodging concierge. You’ll be glad you did. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Booking.com so you can book your The Ptarmigan Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ptarmigan Hotel Steamboat Springs
- Best Western Ptarmigan Hotel
- Best Western Steamboat Springs
- Ptarmigan Inn Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat Springs Best Western