“A DUMP!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A DUMP!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just terrible...Let's start with the front desk. Not at all friendly, kind of felt like I was at a motor vehicles counter. Everyone single one of them. Our slopeside room was actually in the basement. When we asked for another room, they told us they didnt' have any. We didn't believe them, so called pretending to be a new customer and they had several rooms available. Next, the room. Not only could we hear everything going on in the hall, other rooms, the lobby, the pool, etc., but the sounds were amplified, probably due to the way the noise was echoing off the walls. The towels probably haven't been replaced since the 1970s, I wouldn't even line a gerbil cage with them. The toilet paper was the cheapest you could find. I am still undecided over which was rougher, the towels or the toilet paper. The toilet didn't flush, the bathroom floor was peeling away and from the foundation causing an uneven walking surface. What else...oh, the bed left us so sore, we almost had to skip skiing one day. Also, I think I saw blood stains on one of the walls. I'm still stunned that the Steamboat mountain would allow such an eyesore and horrible place to be in such a prime location. The worst.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Grand Island, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Cozy room, hot,hot tub, close to fun and fine playground that Steamboat Mtn resort offers... Great fridge, missing a microwave but has a restaurant, back deck to watch your kids in lessons at and very close proximity to the base of the Mtn.

We had a VCR in our room and needed a DVD player... Surprise... They had one at the front desk for free. Free web connection, happy people at the front desk and kind people offering ski valet... All in all, a great few days...

Room Tip: Both sides of the building are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The front desk staff is excellent and the bar is cozy friendly. Hanging out in the large hot tub with a bunch of people is really fun and the big pool is usually warm enough to swim in. great access to the ski resort and all the food and entertainment places right there. The rooms and common areas are a bit worn by now and in need of renovation, but you can't beat the location and the friendly staff

Room Tip: Rooms can be a little spread out so ask for one near lobby if that's important. I like the ones...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As I was told when house shopping: location, location, location! That's why this place gets the 4 star rating, it is right on the ski hill as advertised. We opted for a slopeside room, and we pretty much left the hotel on skis and ended up right at the gondola.

So...about the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, the place was very clean, and you could throw a rock at the gondola. But it was dated. If you're looking for a resort experience, keep looking. If that doesn't matter to you, get ready to party like it's 1999. Who needs a flat screen when there's a free VCR library? It's like walking into a time capsule of the 90s, everything is maintained but old... it's like you're actually staying in a hotel in the 90s. So if the 90s were your idea of Nirvana, you can have yourself a little Pearl Jam in the private Sound Garden of the Ptarmigan Inn.

All kidding aside, we had a good time and slept well. We'd go back, but we'd bring our own pillows. The pillows were from the 90s, when heads were smaller.

Room Tip: the slopeside room was fun to watch the skiers from...but you will hear noise from the grooming mach...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First of I have to say I LOVE Steamboat Springs. If I could move there permanently I would. However for just a weekend bout to the boat Ptarmigan Inn provides an affordable way to enjoy the city. Ptarmigan is no frills but very comfortable and friendly staff. The Pool/Hot Tub are nice and always clean. While you are there you HAVE TO visit Strawberry Park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a Steamboat Springs vacation in February. This hotel has the best location, great (cheap) happy hour, super friendly staff, and where else do they offer free VHS rental! Actually, where else do they have VHS players in the rooms?!?! I would stay here again for sure. Excellent value for the money. There is even a rental shop in the hotel. If you do book this hotel be sure not to miss the Hendrix VHS.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Carlos, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

For several years, my family has stayed at the other ski-in/ski-out hotel at Steamboat -- right on the doorstep of Christie's Peak chairlift. This year, we were looking for a cozier alternative and decided to try the Ptarmigan Inn based on the rave reviews. This is indeed a very nice hotel. It has a few negatives which puts it between 3.5 and 3.75 stars.

The staff is EXTREMELY warm and friendly. I felt so welcomed to this hotel, from the moment that I spoke to someone on the phone to get reservations all the way to check-out. On the phone, all questions were answered patiently, they took my reservation quickly and courteously, assured me that lift tickets would be waiting for me at check-in (not something that was offered at that other hotel!), and equipment waiting for me at the on-premises equipment rental. (They also told me that helmets were included in the rental cost but they were not -- I was charged half again what the equipment rental cost to get kids' helmets which were required by Steamboat Ski School.)

Check-in was easy and my lift tickets were indeed waiting for me. No elevator to get all of our luggage to our rooms though! Fortunately, it was only a half flight of stairs. After check-in, I called for 2 additional pillows and 1 extra towel. These were provided very promptly by the front desk. The pillows were the smallest squishiest I have ever encountered and I do wish they would buy some new or different ones. My extra towel disappeared after the first maid service which is typical -- maids never count the number of towels they take away.

In the morning we were late for ski school and I asked the front desk if I had to go all the way to the ticket office to pick up the kids' ski school add-on lift tickets and he said yes. Luckily he was wrong. I had to check-in at the ski school for the children's lessons and they gave me the lift tickets then.

The ski rental shop staff were super nice and even carried our skis upstairs to the backdoor for us.

Ski rental was about 45 seconds from our room -- and the ski school is another 45 seconds jogging down the hill outside the backdoor. VERY close and convenient. It was nice being able to go from our room to the ski rental in just our socks. The hill outside the backdoor is the ski-in/out part of the deal but it is imperfect: For ski out, you run out of downhill before you reach the gondola and long before you reach Christie's Peak chairlift. For ski in, you have to plan ahead and do a hard cut to the left to reach the hill above the Inn. If you pick up kids at ski school at the end of the day, you will either have to take a lift up to get above the Inn or walk up the Ptarmigan hill carrying ski equipment. On the second day, the ski instructor advised us to take the Magic Carpet (with all the LITTLE kids) so we didn't have to walk so far uphill. Getting off the hill onto the Ptarmigan Inn's backdeck requires descending a slightly hazardous set of snow-covered steps.

The bartender in the bar was really nice though he seemed a little deaf. Because the hotel is so small, we felt comfortable leaving the kids in the room watching TV while we had some drinks. The restaurant was perfect for the 4 of us -- a warm atmosphere, friendly and efficient waitress, and good but non-pretentious fare.

The room (standard 2 queens) was really small. The closet door was a balky accordion; it was very frustrating opening and closing it. I would have preferred one sink and more counter/storage space rather than 2 sinks in 2 areas. One of the sinks drained very slowly. I slept very poorly but there was nothing I could pinpoint to the cause -- it could have been the dry air, the squishy pillows, various body aches. We had a slope view room on the 4th floor (nice view!) and I did hear the grooming machines in the early morning as some reviews have mentioned but that was because I was already awake. I think if I were sleeping well, the low drones would not have disturbed me. The curtains did an excellent job of darkening the room until the rest of my family was ready to waken. Wi-fi in our room was good enough most of the time.

In summary, this hotel has service and atmosphere from a bygone era, when people seemed to enjoy their jobs. The convenience of having lift tickets at the desk, ski rental steps away, and ski school as close as it is is unparalleled. The things I wish they would change that I think they could is to buy new pillows and fix the closet door and, ideally, the sink draining. And shovel those snow-covered steps! That would bring my review up to 4+ stars. The one thing I would do differently next time is to bring a portable humidifier. What they cannot change is that I don't consider this to be easy ski-in/ski-out. I would definitely consider coming again next year because of the excellent staff.

Room Tip: 4th floor slope view rooms get nice light during the day.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ptarmigan Inn? Share your experiences!