We (two middle aged adults and a 12 yo daughter) just got back from Steamboat and were very happy with the Ptarmigan. This was our first real trip out west skiing and wanted a relatively cheap place convenient to the slopes. Mission accomplished.
The decor is mid 70's but everything is clean. It's the basic 2 double bed, chain motel set-up with a tiny coffee maker. Nothing fancy. Great shower. The good parts are the people--nice to a fault and extremely helpful, whether you wanted info on the mountain, stamps, or recommendations on a place to eat. Great common area with roaring fire, good wireless internet access. Excellent on-site restaurant where we ate all our breakfasts and lunches. Food was great, plentiful, reasonalbly priced, and no waiting to sit down. Much better than the busy food courts on the mountain or right at the bottom of the gondola. Nice bar where we played cards in the evenings.
The best part is the location, about 100 yards uphill from the gondola. The hotel will store your skis in a little room next to the slopes. When you come to ski in the morning you push a bell and the ski guy hands you your skis, then you walk ten feet to the snow and off you go. At the end of the day, you can ski right up to the door, ring the bell and the ski guy takes your skis until tomorrow. They had onsite ski rental where we rented everything. You get a 20% discount for staying at the hotel and it is quality equipment. Very convenient if you have to change out the ski boots or buy ski socks, as we did. That being said, the absolute cheapest place to rent is probably Sports Authority, a sporting goods store on Mt Werner Rd.
Couldn't fix our own meals but we were very happy with the little restaurant. They have a nice heated outdoor pool and spa but we were too tired after skiing to use it! We crashed early every night as did everyone else. Lots of families. Lots of convenient parking and shuttle comes to the door.
Overall, great base for a small family who doesn't want to cook!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only Steamboat hotel with ski-in, ski-out access. The Ptarmigan Inn is the premier Steamboat lodging option for your Steamboat ski vacation, offering Steamboat’s only affordable ski-in ski-out access to the Steamboat Ski Resort. Start your Steamboat vacation planning now by letting us help you with all your needs while you’re here in Steamboat Springs. Check room availability and book now or contact a Steamboat lodging concierge. You’ll be glad you did. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Expedia so you can book your The Ptarmigan Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ptarmigan Hotel Steamboat Springs
- Best Western Ptarmigan Hotel
- Best Western Steamboat Springs
- Ptarmigan Inn Steamboat Springs
- Steamboat Springs Best Western